Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:38 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Allow"? They'd have to agree to that. The time to have offered or negotiated that would have been in the late 60's, when the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act was being drawn up. Instead, they were required to form corporations and make a profit from them, or lose their land, as ANCSA originally stipulated (later amended). ANCSA would have to be rolled back, or amended to convey reservation status to Alaska Native lands.

But the group that's approaching the UN now is arguing that the US had no right to extend its jurisdiction over Alaska at all.
As we speak this is happening behind close doors, some group of Hawaiians are trying to do this very same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Why not just allow them to have reservations with federally recognized rights ? That would
probably be acceptable to them and to American Alaskans.

Have reservations... with federal recognized rights... Hmmm Aint this what the Native Americans did? What happen to them?

So, if the US is illegally occupying Hawaii, the Hawaiian should still be set up in reservations? Lets say you own your house... I want you to sign a lease with me, so that i have specific rights to it, is what I believe you are telling me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 09:24 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
I am familiar with what and why Hawaii wants the US out... there is no Treaty of annexation. anyone have anything first hand on Alaska?

http://rt.com/usa/256781-alaska-hawa...determination/
Remember Seward's Folly? Yeah, before oil.

The U.S. purchased Alaska from Russia. So, the natives want to go back to Russia? RT would probably like Russia to have it back, too.

And Hawaii. Maybe they can brush up on their Japanese before pithing and moaning about the U.S., which would be there anyway.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
huh...you are talking 1897....60 years before the vote.....3 times have a statehood vote been put up for Puerto Rico ...they CHOOSE to not be a state, and are satisfied being a territory....the fact for hawaii is back in 1897 maybe they didn't want it....but in 1959 they certainly did

the FACT is Hawaii, VOTED to become a state... by a landslide 94% to 6%...they VOTED NOT to be isolated by race..

and it would be stupid to classify Hawaiians as Indians... Hawaiian are Polynesian originating from Tahiti

the simple fact is Hawaii IS a state..legally voted on

but of course some people will make it out to be some grand conspiracy

"3 times have a statehood vote been put up for Puerto Rico ...they CHOOSE to not be a state"

Can you tell me if american citizens could vote in this election? can you tell me who did vote in those elections? If I had no Puerto Rican blood I would not vote on weather or not they should become a state.

"the simple fact is Hawaii IS a state..legally voted on"

Can you tell me who voted in this election?? was it just Native Hawaiian?? do you feel its proper for a US citizen to Vote in the best interest of a foreign country? or any other person that has no ties to hawaii and to vote on the issue?

you do know that most Hawaiian boycotted the vote and why?

"the fact for hawaii is back in 1897 maybe they didn't want it."

This is because the population was mostly native hawaiian, 1959 the Native Hawaiian were out numbered by American citizens.

"people will make it out to be some grand conspiracy" seems you got this right!!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroxian View Post
Remember Seward's Folly? Yeah, before oil.

The U.S. purchased Alaska from Russia. So, the natives want to go back to Russia? RT would probably like Russia to have it back, too.

And Hawaii. Maybe they can brush up on their Japanese before pithing and moaning about the U.S., which would be there anyway.
Alaska, before the oil... Oh you mean like when the people lived off the land?

I would love to learn Japaknees

Old 05-10-2015, 09:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
this kinda ties into.... this post got shut down, seems it was in the Hawaii fourm... go figure.

//www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...l#post38991718
Yep; they just want the benefits; that is usual with many.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:31 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
Quote:
I am familiar with what and why Hawaii wants the US out... there is no Treaty of annexation. anyone have anything first hand on Alaska?

?Native peoples' group seeks end to 'US occupation' of Alaska, Hawaii ? RT USA
RT and its Kremlin shills need to remember that millions of Native American ancestors living in Siberia and around the Arctic would love to see Muscovy packing up and leaving the lands they once called their own . The Russians only showed up in the 15th Century in Western Siberia and the 17th Century on the Pacific Coast. Johnny come lately's if you ask me. I don't think the Russians even asked for permission before forcibly adding them to All the Russias.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:35 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
In the post-Crimea world and as part of RT's whoring to the government in Moscow, it must perpetuate the sentiment that every region of the world has a right to self-determination except, of course, Russia's separatists regions. The secessionist movements in either state are so small that they wouldn't garner any attention otherwise.

Well the secessionist movement in your state and other neo-Confederate states is quite large. Please go, and shut the door on your way out. I wish all former states of the Confederacy were banned from being part of the USA. Traitors all of them.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:48 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
I take pride in having voted YES for Prop 8. Marriage is and will always be defined as a union between a man and a woman.

A right winger that references the Civil War in terms of Hawaii being a state. Laughable. Didn't you read your right wing Libertarian talking points? Abraham Lincoln was an evil tyrant according to your party, and the US is very bad to have prevented the glorious independence and liberty of the southern plantation owners.

Get lost with your cognitive dissonance. You either believe in the US or you don't. And from what I see the crack pot Republican Party has turned a page (Jade Helm) and despises the US and everything it stands for.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:14 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
A right winger that references the Civil War in terms of Hawaii being a state. Laughable. Didn't you read your right wing Libertarian talking points? Abraham Lincoln was an evil tyrant according to your party, and the US is very bad to have prevented the glorious independence and liberty of the southern plantation owners.

Get lost with your cognitive dissonance. You either believe in the US or you don't. And from what I see the crack pot Republican Party has turned a page (Jade Helm) and despises the US and everything it stands for.
And liberals don't. That's being intellectually dishonest.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:26 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
"3 times have a statehood vote been put up for Puerto Rico ...they CHOOSE to not be a state"

Can you tell me if american citizens could vote in this election? can you tell me who did vote in those elections? If I had no Puerto Rican blood I would not vote on weather or not they should become a state.

"the simple fact is Hawaii IS a state..legally voted on"

Can you tell me who voted in this election?? was it just Native Hawaiian?? do you feel its proper for a US citizen to Vote in the best interest of a foreign country? or any other person that has no ties to hawaii and to vote on the issue?

you do know that most Hawaiian boycotted the vote and why?

"the fact for hawaii is back in 1897 maybe they didn't want it."

This is because the population was mostly native hawaiian, 1959 the Native Hawaiian were out numbered by American citizens.

"people will make it out to be some grand conspiracy" seems you got this right!!
the fact is that ALL citizens of Hawaii (ie residents) had the chance to vote.... and of those that chose to participate 94% said statehood..... you cant dispute that fact

Hawaii had a chance...back in 1890's they said no.....in the 1950's they said yes......they made their choice....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies