Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:13 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but Crimea was part of Russia, before it was even the Soviet Union, and Crimea is still a majority Russian..and THEY VOTED for their independence from the nazi-sympathetic Ukraine
Yes, and Novorussiya is next. Then perhaps Belarus (Bielorussia).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 11:16 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,772,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Yes, and Novorussiya is next. Then perhaps Belarus (Bielorussia).
Belarussia means white Russia.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Belarussia means white Russia.
yes, I know. Belarus is basically Russia. By the way, parts of Ukraine
like Galicia are basically Poland.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:47 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
yes, I know. Belarus is basically Russia. By the way, parts of Ukraine
like Galicia are basically Poland.
some of my family came from Galicia, back in the 1880s, when it was part of Austria

Old 05-09-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
some of my family came from Galicia, back in the 1880s, when it was part of Austria
The Habsburgs took it from Poland in 1872.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:01 PM

7,515 posts, read 5,758,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
I am familiar with what and why Hawaii wants the US out... there is no Treaty of annexation. anyone have anything first hand on Alaska?

http://rt.com/usa/256781-alaska-hawa...determination/
Alaskan Natives want full subsistence rights on their lands. If the government pulled welfare and other monetary support they would cease to exist as they do today. The villages in Alaska are funded by welfare. It's that simple. Many of them no longer practice the old ways. Hell, the younger generations do not even speak their native tongue.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But the group that's approaching the UN now is arguing that the US had no right to extend its jurisdiction over Alaska at all.
...and so the bargaining process can begin. It's worth a shot for them to get a compromise
instead of nothing would be a big win. They aren't going to get the whole state, of course,
and their historical domain and its population can't make a claim for the whole state, just
some parts on the map I posted. There are precedents in the lower 48 and Canada.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:26 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Too late. They're already classified as Native people under international law, and, in fact, under US law.

[
(19) This historical and unique legal relationship has been consistently recognized and affirmed by the Congress through the enactment of Federal laws which extend to the Hawaiian people the same rights and privileges accorded to American Indian, Alaska Native, Eskimo, and Aleut communities,[/b] including the Native American Programs Act of 1974 [42 U.S.C. 2991 et seq.]; the American Indian Religious Freedom Act [42 U.S.C. 1996, 1996a]; the National Museum of the American Indian Act [20 U.S.C. 80q et seq.]; and the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act [25 U.S.C. 3001 et seq.].

[/i]
who are you arguing with?????????????

I never said they weren't 'native'

in response to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
Many Native Hawaiian want to leave the US... or should I say want the US to leave. The UD wants to make the native Hawaiian, into native tribal american. Thats not a good thing.
not even sure what UD is

I said this:

Quote:
and it would be stupid to classify Hawaiians as Indians... Hawaiian are Polynesian originating from Tahiti

the simple fact is Hawaii IS a state..legally voted on

but of course some people will make it out to be some grand conspiracy

why are you arguing with me....???

Old 05-10-2015, 07:50 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,962 times
Quote:
Their point is that their aboriginal title still holds, because it's never been extinguished via treaty or conquest. It was the US gov't that originally recognized their aboriginal title, but it forgot to extinguish it, lol! Minor oversight. When oil was discovered in Alaska in the 60's, the government was in a pickle, because it knew Alaska Natives had a fair claim to the land. Oil exploration and development couldn't proceed until that Native claim was settled. So the Alaska Native Claims Act was invented and foisted upon the tribes in 1971. The group pushing their cause at the UN should have covered that part of the history. Still, they have a very interesting point, though they bark up the wrong tree a bit, in dragging Russia into it.
thanks for sharing... great post. Much of the same thing that has happened to Hawaii.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:14 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
The only problem with your post is the lack of capitalization of the people who deserve a proper noun. The natives of Hawaii deserve the title of Americans.
Not all, many like to be call Native Hawaiian as the Kingdom Government of Hawaii never dissolved themselves.
"Maui Circuit Court Judge takes Judicial Notice that the Hawaiian Kingdom still Exists and State of Hawai‘i Courts lack Subject Matter Jurisdiction"

State of Hawai

Americans as you say? So why would the DOI want to make them into indian tribes, if they are aAmericans as you so describe.

Native Hawaiians to Federal Government: Give Us Back Our Kingdom - NBC News

"The federal government posed a series of questions to Native Hawaiians, with whom it's seeking to reestablish nation-to-nation status. The answer it received, to all, was a resounding "no."

This week, the Department of the Interior wrapped up two weeks of public meetings in Hawaii soliciting input from the Native Hawaiian community on setting up a similar structure to the one it has with Native American tribes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies