Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 07:38 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
Great post, why is it not in the Hawaii forum?
It's too close to the banned topic of "Hawaiian sovereignty" and few folks over there are concerned about the politics and history of Hawaiʻi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 05:13 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,962 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZWCOk123Jk

Old 07-30-2015, 12:24 PM

The "certified" Kanaʻiolowalu list is now available online at the the link below...
Kanaʻiolowalu Certified List

According to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, the "certified" Kanaʻiolowalu list has 95,690 names, which means that 27,095 names were removed from the 122,785 that were on the "uncertified" list.
[url=http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20150728_Certified_Native_Hawaiian_roll_posted_onl ine_wCertified Native Hawaiian roll posted online with 95,690 names - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser[/url]

Unfortunately, despite the removal of 27,095 names, the "certified" list still contains the names of deceased folks as well as duplicate entries. Considering that approximately 55,690 folks on the "certified" list didn't voluntarily sign up for it and complete the necessary "declarations," their names should probably be removed as well. The necessary "declarations" for the Kanaʻiolowalu list are as follows:

Quote:
Declaration One. I affirm the unrelinquished sovereignty of the Native Hawaiian people, and my intent to participate in the process of self-governance.

Declaration Two. I have a significant cultural, social or civic connection to the Native Hawaiian community.

Declaration Three. I am a Native Hawaiian: a lineal descendant of the people who lived and exercised sovereignty in the Hawaiian islands prior to 1778, or a person who is eligible for the programs of the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act, 1920, or a direct lineal descendant of that person.
Thus,

Old 08-02-2015, 01:18 AM

Na'i Aupuni to hold election for a Hawaiian government
Notices will be sent out to those eligible to vote on the Native Hawaiian Roll

Na'i Aupuni to hold election for a Hawaiian government | More Local News - KITV Home

Old 08-02-2015, 09:47 AM

This is a link to a front page article of the New York Tribune on Jan. 9, 1894, containing communications between U.S. Envoy Albert Willis and insurgent Sanford B. Dole, self-proclaimed president of the Provisional Government, in which Willis advises Dole that Queen Lili`uokalani is to be restored to the throne, there is a tool at the upper left to zoom into the text on the page, then you can drag it around to read

New-York tribune. (New York [N.Y.]) 1866-1924, January 09, 1894, Image 1 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Old 08-02-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Na'i Aupuni to hold election for a Hawaiian government
Notices will be sent out to those eligible to vote on the Native Hawaiian Roll

Na'i Aupuni to hold election for a Hawaiian government | More Local News - KITV Home
Here's a link to the official news release from Naʻi Aupuni...
http://www.naiaupuni.org/docs/NA-NR-...ice-073115.pdf

Unfortunately, the folks at Na'i Aupuni appear to be "shooting themselves in the foot." Hereʻs are a couple of interesting quotes from the FAQ section of the Na'i Aupuni website:

Quote:
Since the overthrow, it has been very difficult to reorganize a Native Hawaiian government because doing so requires an election of delegates by a significant portion of the Native Hawaiian population. The Na‘i Aupuni process is only possible because OHA has committed to provide funding for it without controlling the process and because OHA and the Native Hawaiian Roll Commission have spent a lot of time and resources to compile a reliable and comprehensive list of Native Hawaiians who have a connection to the Native Hawaiian community and wish to participate in the organization of a Native Hawaiian governing entity.
Quote:
A Hawaiian government formed by a majority or near majority of Hawaiians will be a government that has standing to represent all Hawaiians and thus will be in a position to secure the authority to make decisions to address these kinds of issues.
A potential electorate of 95.690 out of a total Native Hawaiian population of 527,077 or approximately 18.2%, constitutes neither "a significant portion" nor "a majority or near majority" of Native Hawaiians. Here's how the ʻAha delegate election will probably play out:
  • The approximately 40,000 folks that directly signed up for the Kanaʻiolowalu list (or 7.6% of Native Hawaiians) will be the actual electorate;
  • Based on historical voter turnout rates, approximately 60% of that 40,000 or 24,000 folks (or 4.6% of the total Native Hawaiian population) will cast a vote in the ʻAha delegate election;
  • Folks will rightfully claim that the 40 folks elected as ʻAha delegates don't have "standing" to represent a "majority" of Native Hawaiians.
Considering that previous Hawaiian sovereignty groups and organizations failed to pass the "legitimacy test" when it comes to representing a majority of Native Hawaiians, Na'i Aupuni doesn't seem to be that much different.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:36 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,699,535 times
Quote:
Many Native Hawaiian want to leave the US... or should I say want the US to leave. The UD wants to make the native Hawaiian, into native tribal american. Thats not a good thing.
And how would they fare as an independent nation?

Old 08-03-2015, 08:52 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I doubt it matters.

The "Romance" is in advocating something you know will never happen and probably do not want anyway.

But to answer the question seriously, take a look at Puerto Rico.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 AM

Show of Maori solidarity with Native Hawaiians

Quote:
Dr Mera Lee-Penehira who has lodged the action says the United States illegally occupied Hawaii in 1898 and has been there illegally since.

Dr Lee-Penehira says of interest to many New Zealanders is the planned construction of the world's largest telescope on sacred Mauna a Wakea an action which is strongly opposed by Native Hawaiians.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
IMO "independence" as many separatists view it nowadays - be it in Quebec, Scotland, Catalonia, or closer to home in Hawaii and Puerto Rico - is largely a fictitious romantic pipedream that hasent been reality since the 19th century if it ever was.

Fact of the matter is that if Hawaii did become independent the Chinese would swoop right in. Same for Puerto Rico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies