Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 05:50 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
Not all, many like to be call Native Hawaiian as the Kingdom Government of Hawaii never dissolved themselves.
"Maui Circuit Court Judge takes Judicial Notice that the Hawaiian Kingdom still Exists and State of Hawai‘i Courts lack Subject Matter Jurisdiction"

State of Hawai

Americans as you say? So why would the DOI want to make them into indian tribes, if they are aAmericans as you so describe.

Native Hawaiians to Federal Government: Give Us Back Our Kingdom - NBC News

"The federal government posed a series of questions to Native Hawaiians, with whom it's seeking to reestablish nation-to-nation status. The answer it received, to all, was a resounding "no."

This week, the Department of the Interior wrapped up two weeks of public meetings in Hawaii soliciting input from the Native Hawaiian community on setting up a similar structure to the one it has with Native American tribes."
and this is where its stupid..... Hawaii's are NOT indian...they are Polynesian, originating from Tahiti (also known as a part of French Polynesia , and has nothing to do with the 'indians' who crossed the 'land bridge' and populated the America's

now...let's look at this objectively.... YOUR STATEMENT of """want to make them into indian tribes,"""" is NOT factual.....

the truth:
Quote:
the U.S. government is considering extending to Native Hawaiians the same type of tribal recognition that many American Indian tribes have had for generations, potentially giving special status to more than 200 programs and securing lots of federal money, including nearly $14 million for health care, $32 million for education and $10 million for housing.
oh... big difference there... you say make them into indian tribe... the truth is give them the same RECOGNITION as we give indian tribes....... again big difference between your spin and the truth

Quote:
Former Hawaii Gov. John Waihee is chairman of the commission. He said a new tribal government could negotiate with the U.S. to return military and other lands to Native Hawaiians.

"This is a very important milestone in protecting what we have," Waihee said. If tribal recognition were "as bad as some people say it is, why hasn't anyone in the history of the United States ever given it up? What happens is, most people are trying to get it."

The latest tribe to obtain federal recognition was the Shinnecock Nation of New York in 2010, and there are now 289 groups seeking similar recognition, said Jessica Kershaw, spokeswoman for the Department of the Interior.
Quote:
Michelle Kauhane, president and CEO of the Council for Native Hawaiian Advancement. Kauhane questions whether it's reasonable to imagine the U.S. withdrawing from Hawaii. She believes she's among a silent majority of Native Hawaiians.

"What would the economy be? How would we take care of our people?" she asked. "Unless we can amend the U.S. Constitution, there's no undoing of statehood."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:46 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Kawena is an anti-American separatist. No sense in trying to reason with him. Kawena has apparently never heard of USSC Texas v White.

Now for the truth, in 1959 almost all of the opposition to Hawaiian statehood came from the rich WHITE landowners who benefited from the tax breaks of the existing territorial status. Vast majorities of every racial group approved statehood - including native Hawaiians. We see something similar today in Puerto Rico where rich people are always defending the existing territorial status and scaring Congress away from statehood? Why? Because they want their exemption on Federal income taxes and their big corporate allies want their Federal corporate tax breaks.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:27 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Kawena is an anti-American separatist. No sense in trying to reason with him. Kawena has apparently never heard of USSC Texas v White.

Now for the truth, in 1959 almost all of the opposition to Hawaiian statehood came from the rich WHITE landowners who benefited from the tax breaks of the existing territorial status. Vast majorities of every racial group approved statehood - including native Hawaiians. We see something similar today in Puerto Rico where rich people are always defending the existing territorial status and scaring Congress away from statehood? Why? Because they want their exemption on Federal income taxes and their big corporate allies want their Federal corporate tax breaks.

Based on your posts I assume you are either a republican or at least a right winger. It will not be long before the Republican Party (think Rand and Ron Paul, Cruz, etc) official endorses the legality of secession. History will come full circle. The Republican Party is now really the Libertarian Tea Party. Ever hear of the Fox News official legal analyst Judge Napolitano? He memorably stated "I'm a contrarian on Lincoln". He believes it is the right of every state to secede unilaterally. So imo you also suffer from cognitive dissonance. You seem a huge cheerleader for PR to be a state, and Hawaii remaining a state. Are you aware that 25% of Republicans in Texas are in favor of secession of their state? Might want to rethink that political party you cling to.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:56 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

Question.... was the annexation legal or not?? why did Clinton apologies?

Old 05-12-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and this is where its stupid..... Hawaii's are NOT indian...they are Polynesian, originating from Tahiti (also known as a part of French Polynesia , and has nothing to do with the 'indians' who crossed the 'land bridge' and populated the America's

now...let's look at this objectively.... YOUR STATEMENT of """want to make them into indian tribes,"""" is NOT factual.....

the truth:

oh... big difference there... you say make them into indian tribe... the truth is give them the same RECOGNITION as we give indian tribes....... again big difference between your spin and the truth
is not factual...... why not? how do you come to that conclusion? my sauce... "Monday, June 23, 2014

DoI Hearing: 'A lot of noes' on Akaka Tribe"

At Meetings Statewide, Hawaiians Unite Against the Akaka Tribe > Hawaii Free Press

Old 05-12-2015, 01:15 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
well, being 25% Hawaiian myself, I have to say that everybody is pretty much mixed in Hawaii. However, Native Hawaiians do not really consider themselves Native Americans. I don't think so.

Don't know what to think about this subject honestly, but someone argue that By seceding from the US, Hawaii would automatically make an enemy out of the biggest fish in the pond, thus dooming any concept of nationhood before it even got a chance to solidify.

It makes sense.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Based on your posts I assume you are either a republican or at least a right winger. It will not be long before the Republican Party (think Rand and Ron Paul, Cruz, etc) official endorses the legality of secession. History will come full circle. The Republican Party is now really the Libertarian Tea Party. Ever hear of the Fox News official legal analyst Judge Napolitano? He memorably stated "I'm a contrarian on Lincoln". He believes it is the right of every state to secede unilaterally. So imo you also suffer from cognitive dissonance. You seem a huge cheerleader for PR to be a state, and Hawaii remaining a state. Are you aware that 25% of Republicans in Texas are in favor of secession of their state? Might want to rethink that political party you cling to.

A right winger.... thats a first lol. I actually like both wings, extra sauce please. Hawaii and secession? where do you get that from? If Hawaii was never a state, how can it secede? Hawaii is a state by force do you know the history? Here some of Hawaii's history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB2lcLJxrLU

Judge Nap... He has his opinions. If a state can secede and done legally then they can are you going to say there is no legal way for it to happen? The people are leaving...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3xTBa_z6eM

Why you so quick to ASSUME.... It"s not my call and I will let the people of PR make that choice I hope PR never becomes a state!!! If american can get enough americans to vote on it, it could happen. I know I wont. The US has a great way of Fawking shiet up. Hey what about Cuba becoming a state??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVi-gBw7HPA

Based on your post I assume you suffer from intelligence....

Old 05-14-2015, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 612 times
Default Ronald Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ronald Barnes of Alaska said the US “is mismanaging the property they have no right for.

“They take our land and mine mineral resources in large amounts damaging our
environment,” he said.

Barnes told TASS that the group would seek assistance from Russia for their cause.

“It will be 150 years since the sale of Alaska by Russia to the US in 2017. If we could work with the Russians to present the historical truth and reject the distorted concepts about Alaska and our peoples, I believe it could be a good way to amend the situation,” he said. - See more at: [url=http://freehawaii.blogspot.com/#sthash.6YHixhlk.dpuf]Free Hawai`i[/url]

Here's some further info on it. Of course, this is absurd; seek assistance from Russia for help with Alaska Natives' cause? Russia burned down entire villages on the Aleutians and enslaved the Aleuts, as well as members of some of the other tribes. And Russia is doing the same to its own Native peoples that this group says the US is doing in Alaska. So what kind of "help" are they expecting from Russia?

I haven't been able to find a website for the organization that's spearheading the petition, so there's no way to check to see if the members, or leadership, are known and experienced leaders, or a group of cranks. If anyone finds any info on the group, like their Board of Directors (if they're an official non-profit), or members, please post that here.

Here's an article with more info:

[url=http://www.internationaldiplomat.com/international-diplomat/promoting-international-legal-political-status-alaskan-indigenous-peoplesinterview-ronald-barnes-permanent-representative-alaska-indigenous-tribes-un-hu/]Promoting the international legal and political status of the Alaskan indigenous peoples[/url]

Ambassador Ronald Barnes was first appointed in 1994 by the Elders of Tununak, Alaska, as their representative before the United Nations with a clear mandate to promote the international legal and political status of the Alaskan indigenous peoples. The Indigenous Peoples and Nations Coalition was founded as a ’free political institution’ of the Elders and grassroots communities to promote their rights under international law.

So he was elected by one community to represent their interests, but now he's claiming to represent all Alaska Natives? More clarification needed.
His page got deleted on Wikipedia as "non-notable" and "pretentious" - see [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Ronald_Barnes_(Alaskan_politician[/url])

Also the comments: "the article's talk page says that Barnes is part of an "Alaskan indepedance (sic) movement NGO". My firsthand familiarity with that movement dates to the late 1970s; I can assure you that he's not a part of it. Doing a Google search, however, indicates that the tribal council in Tununak (through Barnes) is attempting an approach similar to what Joe Vogler did during the last years of his life, namely petitioning the UN. He's certainly not involved with the politics of Alaska, which is an impression one would develop by looking at the article's title and its inclusion in Category:Alaska politicians (Category:Alaska Native activists would have been a more appropriate category). "

The guy is suspected as a fraud. It's funny that RT gives him press the same week the U.S. starts to make-nice with Russia after two years of a chill, post-Snowden.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:02 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Frankly, both states can leave as far as I'm concerned.
Nah, Alaska has oil and there is enough space so that nobody has to even have a neighbor if they do not want one.

Hawaii OTOH- Expel them from the Union with all due haste!

Better yet, sell them to Russia.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:27 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Pooty-poot's tame news source are implying that Alaska would much rather be a part of Russia's sphere of influence than part of the US. This is my complete lack of surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies