Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 02:22 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Thanks for letting me know.

It is really odd IMO that Republicans claim to be the party of "limited/smaller" government yet they support specific far reaching laws to invade our personal lives, similar to what they complain about with liberals wanting to ban HFCS or sodas/pop consumption.

Regardless, this is a very disturbing thing. I will be reaching out to some women's groups I know and trying to work to stop it from passing the senate.
It doesn't matter as the president would never sign it and as I explained earlier, it doesn't even actually do anything.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Is the life of a 21 week old fetus that resulted from a rape somehow less precious than one that was conceived consensually? I have a hard time seeing how such an exception can be rationalized from a pro-life perspective.
Generally it isn't but no law is ever going to pass without that exemption so you take what you can get.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Mergers between religious health care organizations and formerly public hospitals is a big factor in the reduction of abortion services even in fairly large towns and cities. Just because abortion is legal doesn't mean it's available. I'll spare you the details of my personal story, but the concerns expressed above are not fear-mongering.
Ultrasounds are the biggest reason for a reduction in abortions.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:28 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Ultrasounds are the biggest reason for a reduction in abortions.
Is that because there is scientific proof of the age of the fetus and not reliance on the calculations by the woman?

Old 05-14-2015, 02:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
What I'm trying to point out is that when the local Catholic hospital merges with the local public hospital, it comes with the caveat that the formerly public hospital will no longer provide abortion services. This what happened in my hometown, a fairly large Midwestern city. Even my perinatalogist and two consulting pediatric neurologists were unable to convince the hospital's review board to consent to an abortion. I was very fortunate to have both the means and health care connections to find a provider at a university hospital on the other side of the state, where I was induced for the purpose of terminating my pregnancy. It should not have been that difficult to get the care I needed, but that's the reality for women today. The common perception is that there's an abortion clinic on every corner, but it's not the case. Abortion may be legal, but it's often very difficult to obtain.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-14-2015 at 03:04 PM..

Old 05-14-2015, 02:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
First of all, you must be a guy since you have an incorrect view of ovulation, menstruation and when women know they're pregnant. Ovulation occurs approximately 14 days into a woman's cycle. That's when you can get pregnant. 2 weeks later, you get your period or you don't and would have to consider that you could be pregnant. Yes, there are some variances in this process, but unless you've been drinking heavily or are otherwise impaired, it doesn't take 5 weeks to figure it out. So we'll give you poor, little waif a 3 week grace period (no pun intended). Now she only has a measly 17 weeks (more than 4 months) to get her act together and get an abortion. I'm sorry she has to go through all that stuff you made up in your post. I really am. But, maybe having to face the stress of paying for and getting an abortion will make her wiser and more careful in future.
I won't say what you must be, but firstly, not all women have regular cycles, and not all women religiously track their cycles. Secondly, I didn't make up anything. Why don't you do some research before making such accusations? Thirdly, as to your wiser and more careful remark, please consider that birth control methods don't work all the time. I know a woman who had a tubal ligation who became pregnant. I know a man who had a vasectomy who got his wife pregnant. Maybe you should get off your high horse and have some empathy for the WOMEN who find themselves in these situations.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:45 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I won't say what you must be, but firstly, not all women have regular cycles, and not all women religiously track their cycles. Secondly, I didn't make up anything. Why don't you do some research before making such accusations? Thirdly, as to your wiser and more careful remark, please consider that birth control methods don't work all the time. I know a woman who had a tubal ligation who became pregnant. I know a man who had a vasectomy who got his wife pregnant. Maybe you should get off your high horse and have some empathy for the WOMEN who find themselves in these situations.
And those freak occurrences still get 20 weeks to figure it out. How can you ask for empathy when someone has 5 months to make a decision and early abortions cost between $300-$500? It is like you want a pitty party for someone's elective medical decision.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
When did exceptionally rare 1 in a million hypotheticals become the truth?

You might as well blaimed aliens for inpregnating someone without their knowledge as the reason why abortion after 20 weeks should happen.
Exceptionally rare?

Not really.

Young women are the most likely to have unwanted pregnancies.

Young women are often on the lower end of the economic scale, working jobs like waitressing and other minimum wage jobs.

When there are only two abortion providers in a state, there are only two abortion providers in a state. And since people live all over the state, it will likely take them hours to travel to an abortion provider.

Many states have instituted waiting periods and mandatory counseling.

These restrictions have little effect on women of means, but they have a profound impact on poor women.

Arkansas is not the only state to have very restricted access to abortion providers.

And the pro-life advice, well have the baby and give it up for adoption ignores the physical and financial impact that pregnancy has on women.

I don't want poor women to be consigned to being pregnancy surrogates for rich women. But when you take away choice from women, that is one of the effects. Rich women have the means to travel and to find abortion doctors. Poor women do not.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:46 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What I'm trying to point out is that when the local Catholic hospital merges with the local public hospital, it comes with the caveat that the formerly public hospital will no longer provide abortion services. This what happened in my hometown, a fairly large Midwestern city. Even my perinatalogist and two consulting pediatric neurologists were unable to convince the hospital's review board to consent to an abortion. I was very fortunate to have both the means and health care connections to find a provider at a university hospital on the other side of the state, where I was induced for the purpose of terminating my pregnancy. It should not have been that difficult to get the care I needed, but that's the reality for many women today. The common perception is that there's an abortion clinic on every corner, but it's not the case. Abortion may be legal, but it's often very difficult to obtain.
I agree that access is an important issue. Was there another public hospital in your town? If so, are they not obligated to provide abortions since they are public? Since the formerly public hospital was now a Catholic hospital, I guess they got to make whatever rules they wanted since they were not taking public funds.

I would like to see better access for all. Even if it means we (being the taxpayers) have to provide transportation if there isn't a facility within a reasonable number of miles. But, my first hope would be that women take responsibility and don't find themselves in the situation of having to have an abortion for an unwanted pregnancy. I don't know how we get this message across any better than we have, but clearly what we've been doing doesn't work. I guess some people will always be less than responsible with their choices.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Is that because there is scientific proof of the age of the fetus and not reliance on the calculations by the woman?
No, because women were able to actually see it wasn't a blob of tissue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies