Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Just listen to Rick Santorum. His daughter, Bella, is not on the low end spectrum, but he says HE is going broke taking care of her, and he isn't 60 years old yet. Imagine parents of far lower income means in their old age?
Good post, thank you. As for Mr. Santorum, his wife should tell him to stop running for President every cycle, when he has zero percent chance of winning the primary, never mind the general election.

Mick

Old 05-15-2015, 01:11 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I support abortion rights, but in general I agree. If the abortion is just a "convenience" abortion of a woman that doesn't want a child, yes, 5 months should be more than enough time to decide. That includes rape cases.

However, what about cases where a fetus is diagnosed with significant or severe medical conditions? Downs, physical abnormalities, Spina Bifeda, hydroencyphilitis(sp?), etc? And what if those conditions are not detected until some months after that? The mother/parents should have the choice to terminate the pregnancy, rather than being sentenced by the state to raise a special needs child they may not be prepared or capable of.

Unless, of course, you are volunteering to adopt every special needs child the mother/parent would decide to put up for adoption that they might otherwise abort? Are you financially, physically and mentally willing and able to do so?

What part of the Constitution gives the Supreme Court the authority to decide who is or is not a person?

Old 05-15-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
That is what many Cons say all the time, yet here they are making it a Federal issue. Funny because in some cases they may have actually risen the bar above the State law.

Roe made a state issue a federal issue.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Agreed. And if it does pass the senate, I hope Obama would be smart enough to veto it. We don't need a federal government of ever increasing power meddling in medical decisions.

So the state should designate some people (coincidentally too young to vote) to be non-persons but stay out of people`s "private matters"?

Old 05-15-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Although I approve of this bill overall, I think further exceptions are needed for fetuses who (1) have SEVERE diseases/deformities that would mean either NO real quality of life and/or would result in severe lifelong pain for the child, (2) for fetuses who would be stillborn, and (3) for those who might live for not more than a year after birth (and in all cases, whether to have an abortion would be left to the parents, of course).

The T-4 rationalizations.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
But, do you trust a "panel" to make the right decision if a woman's life is in danger? there are some religious beliefs which believe it's okay for a woman to die in childbirth.

Source?

Old 05-15-2015, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Couple questions: What year is that 700,000 from? In 2011 the total was 1.06 million which would be about 14k abortions taking place after 20 weeks. And I clearly stated that in cases of rape, fetal abnormalities and risk to the mother's life abortion should be allowed after 20 weeks. You clearly haven't read my posts with much comprehension. Or you just automatically dismiss posts that don't agree 100% with your views.

I am pro-choice. Women should have the right to choose, but does that have to mean they can choose at any time for any reason? Just like I'm A-Ok with people drinking. Just not the point where it causes pain and suffering to others. Does that mean I want Prohibition to make a come back?

Under your plan, wouldn`t a woman know she had been raped before 20 weeks time?

Old 05-15-2015, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not sure what you consider a hardship. Say a young girl working as a waitress in Mountain Home, AR got pregnant and didn't want the baby. She doesn't realize she's pregnant until five weeks later, when she realizes she missed her period. Now we're down to 15 weeks. She doesn't have any money, so she's got to save up the funds to pay for the abortion. That's going to take some time. Now, she has to arrange to be off work for several days. Her boss wants to know why, but she doesn't want to tell him. And she has to have the time off because she has to travel to obtain that abortion. There are only two abortion providers in the state, both hours from where she lives. And the state requires a waiting period. So not only did she have to save up the money to pay for the abortion, she had to save up gas money for the trip, and motel money. I think hardship means different things to different people.

Unlike in decades past, elective abortion in America and the grossly irresponsible behavior that precedes it are barely tolerated today.

Something to think about if you are a young girl working as a waitress in Mountain Home, AZ and just don`t like how condoms feel.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:46 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
At 20 weeks, the fetus is as long as a banana and is likely viable outside the womb.
Lol at "likely viable." Then take it out of the uterus, spend a few million of our taxpayer money to keep it alive, and pray that it isn't brain damaged.

By 20 weeks a lot of women, especially teens, might not even know they're pregnant.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:49 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Unlike in decades past, elective abortion in America and the grossly irresponsible behavior that precedes it are barely tolerated today.

Something to think about if you are a young girl working as a waitress in Mountain Home, AZ and just don`t like how condoms feel.
#%÷×+**@#%?!!×***@???

Ummm...... I think you have mistaken a common male complaint for a common female one. (Re: condoms)

Not to mention the obvious general sexism of the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies