Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 10:36 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Defending yourself isn't murder.
It could be.Lots of variables to consider. Life is not always black and white. For example, if you shoot and kill someone as they are walking away from robbing you - you'll end up in prison or could. Florida, probably not...

I'll never understand the need to always be able to defend oneself with a firearm that's sole purpose is to kill or maim. Don't want to. Sounds like you guys live in the Wild West or a cesspool. Must be very sould crushing to always be worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 10:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
It could be.Lots of variables to consider. Life is not always black and white. For example, if you shoot and kill someone as they are walking away from robbing you - you'll end up in prison or could. Florida, probably not...
In that case you are not defending yourself.

Quote:
I'll never understand the need to always be able to defend oneself with a firearm that's sole purpose is to kill or maim. Don't want to. Sounds like you guys live in the Wild West or a cesspool. Must be very sould crushing to always be worried.
You guys? I just noted a few posts back that I don't own a gun.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:40 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Riding in someone else's vehicle with a gun is not a right.
Exactly. Does BentBow forget about the Uber rape cases? https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...pGL/story.html Chicago Police Investigate Rape Allegation Against Uber Driver http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/09/wo...rape.html?_r=0 Yeah allowing drivers to have guns so they can use it in a rape case is going to keep people using that service.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,996 times
If the drivers that are doing Uber are dumb enough not to have a gun while trying to be makeshift cabbies, then they deserve to be victims. Somehow the notion of providing this service even with a piece in some place like Oakland just seems like a death wish.

My brother in-law drove a cab for years in Atlanta. They pretty much all carry guns just like tow truck drivers from what he says.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
How they enforce it or not isn't my concern. It's theirs. It's their business, not mine. I'm not even saying I agree with them just that if a business should be able to decide how it wants to do business, it should be able to decide how it wants to do business, period.

I believe a business should be able to ban you for being left handed if it wants to.

Not their problem. If you are so worried about it, don't patronize the business.
Exactly.

Exactly.

Exactly,

Exactly.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Did I say exactly? If not, exactly.

A business owner should be allowed to exclude any person for any reason with the only exception being essential services such as a doctor or a grocery store.

If a cabby doesn't want to pick you up because of any reason, that should be their choice. If a restaurant doesn't want to server you, their choice.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:04 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,996 times
Quote:
Riding in someone else's vehicle with a gun is not a right.
It's also not against the law. All he/she could do is tell you to get out. The same applies for when I used to carry a pocket pistol while contracting for Dish Network on the weekends and summers when I was in college. Could they fire me? Of course, but it wasn't against the law as long as I was licensed (and I was).

Old 06-23-2015, 11:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Exactly.

Exactly.

Exactly,

Exactly.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Did I say exactly? If not, exactly.

A business owner should be allowed to exclude any person for any reason with the only exception being essential services such as a doctor or a grocery store.

If a cabby doesn't want to pick you up because of any reason, that should be their choice. If a restaurant doesn't want to server you, their choice.
However there has to be other options in the local economy. If there are bakeries that are willing to do gay wedding cakes, you can't force the baker that don't wear religion on their sleeve. If there are other options for eating, a restaurant can deny service. Cabs can deny service too if there are other cabbies or cablines or forms of public transportation. If there aren't options, they shouldn't because it becomes an essential service.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If there aren't options, they shouldn't because it becomes an essential service.
Nope, a cake shop is not an essential service and either is a restaurant.

I can't even remember the last time I entered a cake shop, and you could live your entire life without going to a restaurant and not suffer any significant repercussions.

Essential services are things like ambulance services, doctors, dentists, grocery stores, electricity providers, etc.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:30 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I typically do, but I am pointing out what the law in MY state is. I haven't been in a Starbucks since they made their anti-gun statement. To my knowledge they still don't have the proper signs displayed, but I took my business elsewhere anyway..
You are backtracking. The post you responded to said that people have the right to not allow guns on their private property, and you responded with your defiance of that law. The person you quoted didn't mention "thought shall not..." signs, you made that up. But your response to the person was that you will not honor people's rights to ban guns on their own private property.

Kinda sticks a thumb in the eye of all your NRA buddies spouting off about "responsible gun owners", doesn't it? There are many responsible gun owners, but you are evidence that there are plenty who claim to be that just aren't!

Old 06-23-2015, 11:35 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Airline pilots could not carry weapons to protect themselves. How'd that work out for 9/11?
Great argument. If you gave a gun to the co-pilot of the German airline that flew into the side of a mountain, then he could have just shot the pilot, rather than going to the trouble of locking him out of the cockpit.

That, and in general, nothing like bullets flying at 30,000 feet. Doesn't matter who's shooting them, where are you going to hide? Crikey, this argument of just give everyone guns and all the sudden they will become decent people is far more stupid than the anti-gun movement (which isn't very bright either).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies