Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 01:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And I asked you to think. So dar, you have danced around it.
Yes you answered a question with a question and i'm the one who has danced around it

Its a simple question, what's wrong with flying a piece of fabric?

Old 06-22-2015, 02:01 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
First off, I'll say what I said in another thread regarding this topic. I have no desire nor interest in flying a Confederate flag. I was born in Ohio, and therefore it is not part of my culture, though I understand the rebel aspect of it to a degree. Having said that the only flags I would fly in my yard would be the US flag, the Ohio state flag, the Gasden flag, and a Cleveland Browns flag. Do I care if others here fly that flag? No. Especially if they're not causing harm to another person. I have an older neighbor who grew up in Columbus, and always calls himself an old hillbilly, because he grew up on a farm, and has roots in Kentucky. Nice guy, and quite frankly would do anything for anyone. He occasionally wears stuff with the Confederate flag. Should I not be friends with him, and try to correct him as the progressives here would seem to do, because it isn't PC? I think not! Why should I? Now, if he was say in the Klan or something like that, then I could see not associating myself with him.

And finally, sometimes the backlash against something by the collective just makes that item (in this instance the Confederate Flag) more popular as what we saw with the whole Chik Fil-A deal, or the pizza shop in Indiana. I'm just going on the same premise that NCN alluded to about going out investing in it now, because if you think about it, part of human nature is doing stuff in spite when you're being vehemently told you can't or it's wrong!
Exactly. I agree with you completely. My brother flies American flag and Marine Corps flag. This is just his "thing" I guess.

Both my best friends (white men) are from the south, they both fly confederate flag. Nice guys, hardcore Marines, cowboy type. Both are good dads, good husbands. I know their wives, their children. Matter of fact, I set up a trust fund for one of the kid because I just adore him and i am his favorite aunt.

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
SC playing with fire. If both senators and the governor are calling for it you can bet numerous businesses told them you need to take it down...NOW.

Apparently international media outlets are in Columbia. SC needs to decide whether it's going to take a step in the right direction or risk losing millions, even billions in corporate investment.
And then there's the law. Do you expect the governor to break the laws of SC in order to appease the media and social media? At the end of the day, this flag must be removed lawfully and to do so lawfully, it takes a 2/3 majority of the South Carolina legislature.

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
All the white trash rednecks are going crazy over this. I'm glad it is being discussed, I hope it's taken down. And I am white.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:02 PM

10,029 posts, read 15,679,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
SC playing with fire. If both senators and the governor are calling for it you can bet numerous businesses told them you need to take it down...NOW.

Apparently international media outlets are in Columbia. SC needs to decide whether it's going to take a step in the right direction or risk losing millions, even billions in corporate investment.
It's not up to her alone. It has to be voted on by the legislature.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:03 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Maybe looking up the term "Dixiecrats" may help you to understand just who they were..most if not all of them have died off..but of course GOP will never actually knowledge it. ...
Why would the GOP care? The Dixiecrats all came from the Democratic party. They ran as an independent party and actually won states in the 1968 election.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Maybe looking up the term "Dixiecrats" may help you to understand just who they were..most if not all of them have died off..but of course GOP will never actually knowledge it.

Living in the past for some is their goal/agenda ... They wanna live like in the "Yesteryears"..which speaks to those who simply haven't evolved beyond Back in the day thinking...Good luck with that
Ernest Fritz Hollings, was the governor when the flag went up. And he just retired from Congress as a prominent Democrat in 2005. So perhaps, you should acknowledge the fact that the man who was governor when this flag went up was a Southern Democrat, remained a Democrat, and by the way, is still alive. Learning history is good for you. You should try it.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Ernest Fritz Hollings, was the governor when the flag went up. And he just retired from Congress as a prominent Democrat in 2005. So perhaps, you should acknowledge the fact that the man who was governor when this flag went up was a Southern Democrat, remained a Democrat, and by the way, is still alive. Learning history is good for you. You should try it.
Sounds like the decision to get rid of the flag from government buildings would be cake walk in a red state. I can see its the democrats that are opposed to the idea while republicans can't wait to see it come down. Right?

Old 06-22-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Sounds like the decision to get rid of the flag from government buildings would be cake walk in a red state. I can see its the democrats that are opposed to the idea while republicans can't wait to see it come down. Right?
Requires a 2/3 majority from the state legislature to remove. The bill, introduced last year, was introduced by a Republican member. I don't know. What does that tell you?

Old 06-22-2015, 02:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes you answered a question with a question and i'm the one who has danced around it

Its a simple question, what's wrong with flying a piece of fabric?
I tried helping you figure that out by making you think. Try it for a change, answer my question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies