Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 09:01 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Why has the title of this thread changed? It used to be ~"Walmart makes ISIS Flag Cake, but won't make a Confederate Cake"

It now reads...

"2 Amazon reps tell customers "the government" and "federal law," respectively, are instructing co. don't sell Conf. "

Is it just my PC?
yes, it changed. It was "Walmart make ISIS flag cake, but refuses to make Confederate flag cake"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 09:10 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,942 times
Except it is for sale on amazon.com right now.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
If so that is a problem as its not against the law. Yet government fails to enforce federal marijuana law. This administration seems to do that a lot seeing the IRS scandal of targeting groups.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:47 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You make my point for me. If you don't find it offensive and I do, the best way to resolve it is to not allow any flags other than the state and federal flags to fly over property we both own. That way, no one is offended. See how easy that is?

And in the meantime, we both remain free to fly whatever flags we want on our own property, so no one has lost anything.
Let's say you're offended by meat, and I vegetables ... all we need is someone to be offended by fruit, and one more by grain.

Then, we can ban all of it, and starve to death, together!

Old 06-29-2015, 09:19 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Amazon isn't the only fish in the sea. There are a multitude of stores, online and b/m, which are still selling the confederate flag, and which don't take their marching orders from Uncle Sam.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:52 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
lets just pretend that the confederate flag, under its many names and variations, didn't represent a belief, as outlined by the articles of secession of multiple states, that one of the main reasons for secession was slavery. let us pretend that the cornerstone speech, delivered by the vice president of the confederacy, didn't state, "Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea (all men are created equal); its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition."

let us pretend that mississippi didn't adopt the stars and bars as part of its state flag until 1894, 4 years after disenfranchising hundreds of thousands of blacks with restrictive voting laws and near the beginning of the jim crow era. let us pretend that south carolina, the first state to secede, didn't begin flying the confederate flag from their state house until after the civil right act of 1960 was signed into law and georgia didn't add the stars and bars to its state flag until after the supreme court ruling on brown vs the board of education. lets just pretend that this flag hasn't been used as a means of intimidating black people in this country all the way back to the late 19th century.

even without all of that aforementioned history, that flag is STILL a symbol of treason and no government entity should be endorsing a symbol from an era in which people were seeking to destroy this union under the laughable guise of, "states rights."
While you cite very good points ... and many I concur with, by the way ... the same arguments you use in reference to the confederate flag can be equally applied to the American flag ... as has already been pointed out !

Let us NOT pretend that the American flag was the one flying with every US Calvary unit, and flying over every US Fort during the settlement of, and subsequent establishment of these several states making up the Union. Let us not pretend, or forget, that among the indignities imposed upon the African slaves under such white supremacy attitudes,they pale in comparison to the all out, no holds barred genocide that was inflicted upon the native American "savages", with bounty placed upon every head, men, women, children, no matter ... it was the policy of those flying the stars and stripes to ELIMINATE every last native as we swept across this land from sea to shining sea. Yet, we are to believe that these genocidal attitudes of the Union leaders and their Army magically transmorphed into this "save the slaves" choir boy crap? Please.

So that said, my points are, you cannot change history, but only learn from it. You cannot erase history by erasing it's references and symbols. For some, the confederate flag may be a symbol and rallying cry in support of racist attitudes, while it may represent something entirely different to others. Neither words, or symbols relay these meanings ... it is the attitudes and actions of others that give them meaning.

One other very important point that must be highlighted here is that all governments use, as a rallying mechanism and tool of manipulation of "their people", an enemy, be it Indian Savages, Black Slaves, hostile foreign nations, terrorists, or created boogie men. And it's pretty easy to instigate this mob like mentality.

Rallying behind this media push against the confederate flag is just another example of how easy it really is to incite ... distract ... and manipulate the masses. People seem to want to be so manipulated, given so little resistance to it, and so much enthusiasm for it.

But here's the real, hard core truth ... while it may be perfectly understandable that black people might find the confederate flag offensive due to the clear cut history of some of it's proponents, it is a pure distraction from the ongoing effort to subjugate them, politically and financially buy those posing as their advocates.

Better we focus ALL of our collective energies in freeing today's slaves, rather than fussing over events that took place 150 years ago.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:36 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
I think the Confederate flag is much more popular now in my state, more and more trucks have the large Confederate flags on the back.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:47 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I think the Confederate flag is much more popular now in my state, more and more trucks have the large Confederate flags on the back.
And this, too, shall pass.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:36 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
And this, too, shall pass.
Wonder if they will go after the US Flag next?

Activists to burn U.S. flags in protest prior to July Fourth holiday - National Policy & Issues | Examiner.com

I think we should send these people to live with ISIS for a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies