Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 09:37 AM

59,108 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Fine, you don't find it offensive. You have a right to fly the flag on your own property, slap a flag bumper sticker on your car or wear Confederate flag underwear for all I care. But you do not have the right to demand it be flown on public land that is owned by all of us, many of whom do find it offensive. Why do you believe you do?
"But you do not have the right to demand it be flown on public land that is owned by all of us,"

We are talking about STATE buildings. You don't OWN anything in another state.

And YOU don't have the right to tell other what THEY should or should NOT be done.

If you don't live in one of these states maybe you should mind your OWN business and let the people of THOSE state decdide what they want and don't want.

What state do YOU live in? I'd bet we can find some laws in your state that the rest of us remove.

Why do so many liberals always seem to want to tell others WHAT TO DO AND NOT DO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 09:38 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
"No moral right to use the flag"...that's a joke. That flag from day one represented a belief that Southern states had the right to own other human beings. The hate groups who use that flag today still believe they are superior to people of color. The flag has a long history associated with the belief that whites are better than blacks.

You don't know me. So I'll tell you something about "fake outrage." My father saw several KKK lynching in his youth. He was brought up in the south and could tell stories that would make you hair stand up. You want people to be "sensitive" to the heritage of southerns. Why when there is so much about their heritage that they should be very ashamed of? Sure, not everyone took part in hideous acts against people of color but collectively they looked the other way for many years that many of their necks are having a hard time looking any other way.
I am very sorry this has happened to you. When I said "fake outrage" I was referring to your comment "what a joke" The ONLY point I was trying to make is that not every southerner who flied that flag is a racist.

I know several southerners who fly that flag, and NONE are racists. Matter of fact, Both my brother's best friends are Marines. One is black, the other one is white. The white guy flied confederate flag, the black guy had no problems with it. Both of them made racial jokes. I grew up hearing all these racial jokes. I know what are mean spirited jokes, what are not. I know who are mean spirited people, who are not.

The bottom line is that both of them (the white and the black) can die for each other because they are combat buddies.

Sometimes, what you see is not what you got. I really did not try to offend you and when I said "be sensitive towards victims' feelings" I was referring to the black victims and their families.

I still don't believe all southerners fly that flag are racists. Just like you have all the freedom in the world talking about your experience, so can I, after all, we are who we are through experiences.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
I spent a decade of my life in the terrible world of retail and customer service and let me tell you...when you work a crappy job with low pay, terrible benefits, and a generally depressing work environment...you rarely, if ever, follow the rules. When I worked at walmart, both me and the majority of my coworkers couldn't give two shyts what the customer wanted even if it was against store policy...we just did what they asked because we didnt want to deal with it.

I've had people return stuff I knew they stole...took it back, didnt want to deal with it.
I had people ask me to do things against store policy....did it anyway, didnt want to deal with it.
etc... etc...

Trust me...if someone asked me to make a confederate cake, I would of done it anyway even if it was against policy because it would of taken less effort than dealing with a raging pissed off redneck who's job Obama just took
I am sure some employees cut corners and do things which they know can get them fired, but that is their choice. However, this incident proves that is NOT what happened, since they did in fact refuse the cake.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:40 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,444,495 times
I find it hilarious how some on the right go bonkers when Mexicans fly their flag and demand it gets removed but oh boy...the confederate flag is free speech, heritage, etc etc....

A flag is just a flag...nothing but a piece of cloth..

Old 06-28-2015, 09:40 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Default How do confederate flag supporters disassociate it from Segregation/Anti-Civil Rights Sentiment?

Good grief how can a person be so darn offended by a piece of colored cloth? People need to grow up.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:41 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
I spent a decade of my life in the terrible world of retail and customer service and let me tell you...when you work a crappy job with low pay, terrible benefits, and a generally depressing work environment...you rarely, if ever, follow the rules. When I worked at walmart, both me and the majority of my coworkers couldn't give two shyts what the customer wanted even if it was against store policy...we just did what they asked because we didnt want to deal with it.

I've had people return stuff I knew they stole...took it back, didnt want to deal with it.
I had people ask me to do things against store policy....did it anyway, didnt want to deal with it.
etc... etc...

Trust me...if someone asked me to make a confederate cake, I would of done it anyway even if it was against policy because it would of taken less effort than dealing with a raging pissed off redneck who's job Obama just took
Retail: The Libertarian form of civil servancy.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:42 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,444,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am sure some employees cut corners and do things which they know can get them fired, but that is their choice. However, this incident proves that is NOT what happened, since they did in fact refuse the cake.
Well it's well within their rights...I used to work at Publix and we used to refuse a ton of designs on cakes...people wanting penis cakes, write F*** You or whatever...Store policy in retail is generally very vague and at the helm of management

We did confederate cakes at my publix but our manager was a bona fide redneck so there you go, so while store policy says no offensive cake designs...he being a born and raised Southerner probably didnt think that was offenseive

Old 06-28-2015, 09:43 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I don't remember them complaining about it a few weeks ago.

Of course we know that it's because their messiah and his favorite race baiter told them to. But I just wanted to hear their excuses as to why they suddenly decided to be outraged.
Are you serious? You must not or have EVER resided in the deep south. It's LONG been a hateful symbol that people wanted down.

You cannot seriously be this uninformed.

What it took , however, to actually take the flag down was the REPUBLICAN leadership in the southern states. Beginning with the REPUBLICAN governor of South Carolina. Followed by Lindsey Graham; and the REPUBLICAN governor of Alabama.

Bout time they got on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I have always found it disrespectful to have it on government buildings and such. Not just this week, always. Then again, I'm not personally sympathetic to white supremacist / racist ideals.
Good point. As we have seen in South Carolina, the confederate flag is often used to demonstrate those ideals. It's silly that some people want to pretend otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I live in South Carolina and it seems the confederate flag has become more popular. I saw a truck with two large confederate flags on the back and I saw a truck last night with 3 confederate flag bumper stickers in his windows and on his tailgate.

Something similar to this:
I hope that those folks continue to identify themselves so that the rest of us will know who to avoid.

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Instead we get these lies, which leads to the creation of Jim Crow, the klan, another 100 years of suffering, and honoring the violent traitorous racists which demeans those black soldiers who saved the union, and demeans the civil war which should be remembered as the fight which led to the liberation of black Americans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Who created all of those lies? Which political party was the source of ALL of that? It was the Democrats, under who the Confederacy and the KKK were created and sustained, under whose rule the Jim Crow laws were passed, and under who the last vestiges of segregation were torn while Democrat leaders in the South resisted, kicking and screaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Again, this is not a political party issue. It is an national issue.

To me the northerner and southerner white folks engaged in these lies about the civil war that resulted in further death and destruction as the offices, government policy towards black Americans for another hundred years.
You say it is not a party issue, but who is currently responsible for the terrible conditions that far too many black people find themselves, especially in the inner cities. Once again, just like with the Confederacy, the KKK, the Jim Crow laws and segregation that you were concerned about earlier, it is the Democrats, yet again, that are ruling the inner cities and states like Maryland (Baltimore), Illinois (Chicago), Michigan (Detroit) and New York where problems have arguably been the worst.

It is Democrats that rule the big cities, and in places like Baltimore and Detroit, it has been black Democrats, for about 40 years now.

It is not a north vs south issue, as you say. This is just your own regional, racial prejudice talking. Instead, it is an ownership issue, just like always. It is a control issue. It is a responsibility issue.

In fact, I would challenge you to tell me what it is that the people (Democrats) who are politically responsible for these communities (as they have been for decades) are even PROPOSING that even potentially would substantially alter the status quo in these communities. They are not even proposing anything that would do that. Instead, however, they are very passionate when it comes to defending the status quo.

You need to learn to fix responsibility where it belongs. And in this case, that is on the Democrats.

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
1. To understand not every southerner who flied that flag is a racist - leads to healing

2. To remove the flag divides the country - leads to healing.

3. To be sensitive towards victims' feelings - leads to healing (hence, removal of the flag)

4. To encourage southerns share their experiences - leads to healing.
Folks who are loyal to the Confederate Cause in the present day would most likely not be opposed to being referred to as Neo-Confederates. These are the folks that I consider to be stubbornly clinging to the Lost Cause mythology. For over a 100 years these folks claim to be honoring their Southern way of life or heritage.

These thoughtviews seem to lead to much cognitive dissonance & not toward the healing of old wounds or newer ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies