Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If you can put your emotion aside, you would learn that

1. It's the battle flag of Robert E. Lee's army unit
While it wasn't the Confederate states' official flag, the battle flag was flown by several Confederate Army units. The most notable among them was Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia.

And even Lee distanced himself from divisive symbols of a Civil War that his side lost.

"I think it wiser moreover not to keep open the sores of war," he wrote in a letter, declining an invitation by the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association.

There were no flags flown at his funeral, Confederate or otherwise.

2. Not all southerners, who believe the flag should be flown, however, see it as a racist symbol. They see it, instead, as a symbol of southern pride or as a way to remember ancestors who fought in the Civil War.

3. After the war ended, the symbol became a source of Southern pride and heritage, as well as a remembrance of Confederate soldiers who died in battle. But as racism and segregation gripped the nation in the century following, it became a divisive and violent emblem of the Ku Klux Klan and white supremacist groups. It was also the symbol of the States' Rights Democratic Party, or "Dixiecrats," that formed in 1948 to oppose civil-rights platforms of the Democratic Party. Then-South Carolina Gov. Strom Thurmond was the splinter group's nominee for president that same year; he won 39 electoral votes.

How can you say this flag is NOTHING but a racist symbol when the Political History Of The Confederate Flag is rather complicated?!

I have no problems with removal of the flag, I think the nation needs to speed up the healing process. But let's not pretend EVERY southerner who flies that flag is a racist. To say this, is really just intellectual dishonesty.

It is nothing but a racist symbol. It represents the death cult of the southern confederacy which was dedicated to the continued death and enslavement of black Americans, and it was brought back up and put on state houses in the south as a symbol of hating black civil rights.

The question is how can you all insist it's not a symbol of hatred given its actual history?

The question is how can you all lie and say it represents southern heritage, while disappearing black southerners who have no interest in the filags existence and what it meant to black southerners which Is Death.

And everyone that flys that flag knows it meant death and bondage to black southerners, that's why they are flying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 09:12 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Some folks have rather recently had a change of heart about removing the Confederate flag.

Some folks seem to be stubbornly clinging to the Lost Cause mythology.

Which way leads to healing?

Do you think there are some who would prefer a 2nd Civil War rather than healing?
1. To understand not every southerner who flied that flag is a racist - leads to healing

2. To remove the flag divides the country - leads to healing.

3. To be sensitive towards victims' feelings - leads to healing (hence, removal of the flag)

4. To encourage southerns share their experiences - leads to healing.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:13 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is a joke right?
Who is the South? Does that south include black southerners? Of course it never does.

Again, in order to discuss the confederate flag as a symbol of the south, one has to wipe out black southerners, none of whom have any stake in that flag or the racist muderers who fought under that flag.

This is the whole lie about southern heritage. That flag doesn't represent southern heritage. It represent at best white racist southern heritage.

So the question becomes how can a flag that a best can be said to represent white southern racist heritage deny racist groups the right to use a symbol of their racist hatred? Lol
Bigotry towards Southern whites. Here you have it, folks.

Let me guess, you are "black" and therefore you think that you are exempt from bigotry and racism because of your skin pigmentation, am I right?

Well, you aren't exempt from being either one.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:13 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
A lot of people don't know what Isis flag looks like.
This would be people with their heads in the sand or partying too much to care about world issues. It's not safe to only be concerned about ones self. This just leaves people unprepared for what could happen.

I've heard people think ISIS is a rock band.......people can be just too smart at times. ISIS has been well talked about for people to not know.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It is nothing but a racist symbol. It represents the death cult of the southern confederacy which was dedicated to the continued death and enslavement of black Americans, and it was brought back up and put on state houses in the south as a symbol of hating black civil rights.

The question is how can you all insist it's not a symbol of hatred given its actual history?

The question is how can you all lie and say it represents southern heritage, while disappearing black southerners who have no interest in the filags existence and what it meant to black southerners which Is Death.

And everyone that flys that flag knows it meant death and bondage to black southerners, that's why they are flying it.
Nah, I wish I can show you a picture of my friends fly that flag in iraq battle field. To them (The combat folks) it is nothing but a battle flag.

But it really doesn't matter, this flag represents hatred, so remove it. I will refrain from calling everybody flying that flag racist. This is the ONLY point I am trying to make.

sorry that my point of view offended some. I really did not mean to.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I guess it's okay with Walmart that Americans are being beheaded by ISIS (make a cake please) and apparently the Confederate Flags are worse than beheadings... (no Confederate cakes please... too offensive)

hrmm....

The cake is worse than this:
Seems to be the hate for the week. As we talk about the Confederate Flag that has taken no ones freedom away, ISIS is caging people and drowning them. Amazing, what some Americans sit and complain about!

Old 06-28-2015, 09:16 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This would be people with their heads in the sand or partying too much to care about world issues. It's not safe to only be concerned about ones self. This just leaves people unprepared for what could happen.

I've heard people think ISIS is a rock band.......people can be just too smart at times. ISIS has been well talked about for people to not know.
So not knowing what a terrorist group's flag looks like is considered not caring about world issues? Nonsense. I highly doubt you could name every terrorist flag out there.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:18 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Nah, I wish I can show you a picture of my friends fly that flag in iraq battle field. To them (The combat folks) it is nothing but a battle flag.

But it really doesn't matter, this flag represents hatred, so remove it. I will refrain from calling everybody flying that flag racist. This is the ONLY point I am trying to make.

sorry that my point of view offended some. I really did not mean to.
You make a huge error in apologizing to bigots when they are offended because of their bigotry by something that you said. Just saying.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Neither did I. And frankly, I find it a bit embarrassing that I didn't, political junkie that I am. So no, I don't find it the least bit surprising that a Walmart cake decorator didn't know, either.
Would it be too much to ask them to look it up? The interest alone in what one is decorating/drawing would say what am I doing and what is this. Strange, people would just decorate and not research the item, I call BS.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:20 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Bigotry towards Southern whites. Here you have it, folks.

Let me guess, you are "black" and therefore you think that you are exempt from bigotry and racism because of your skin pigmentation, am I right?

Well, you aren't exempt from being either one.
What bigotry?

My race as is yours is immaterial. Either explain your thinking or not.

But yes, when people say the confederate flag represents southern heritage, they are making the racist point to disappear black southerners. You'll never see those insisting that the confederate flag is a symbol of the south, discuss black southerners and what the flag symbolizes to them. Cause that flag meant death to black southerners.

So how can a flag be said to represent the south in 2015 when it excludes black southerners?

At best that flag can be said to represent southern white racist heritage. That's not bigotry against southern whites. That's telling the truth about those southern whites who use the confederate flag. They know what that flag represents for their fellow black southerners that's why they are flying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies