Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 11:13 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
40,000 posts and you didn't know ISIS has a flag?!
No, any of those posts commenting about the design of the ISIS flag? I did not realize a brutal terrorist group had a graphics department and the time between torturing and killing people to decide and design a flag to represent themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,144,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The Civil War started in 1861.....so what's your point?
The point is... that most everyone here points their fingers at the South. While yes the south had slavery longer, the North and midwest had more than their fare share of slave owners at one time or another. Wondering just how many folks bashing the south could do a little genealogy and find out that their family wasn't quite as squeaky clean as they proclaim to be.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, any of those posts commenting about the design of the ISIS flag? I did not realize a brutal terrorist group had a graphics department and the time between torturing and killing people to decide and design a flag to represent themselves.
But apparently, every single low level Walmart employee is expected to know it.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:19 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
They should have stood up for the honor of all those young "un-propertied " young southern boys, some who had never seen a slave in their life before the war, who were not fighting for slavery but for $14.00 per month, when white supremacist appropriated their symbol for hatred and not honor.
I would ask those individuals who favor keeping the Confederate symbol prominently displayed everywhere, what do you think that the "Black Power" symbol ( the black clinched fist against a flag of red black and green ) means to you, and would you feel at ease going into a business that covered its windows with that flag?

Old 06-28-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
The point is... that most everyone here points their fingers at the South. While yes the south had slavery longer, the North and midwest had more than their fare share of slave owners at one time or another. Wondering just how many folks bashing the south could do a little genealogy and find out that their family wasn't quite as squeaky clean as they proclaim to be.
No one is arguing that, the point is as the culture in the country was shifting, the South found they needed to fight a war to prevent losing their ability to own other humans.

That would be like a portion of this country trying to secede and fight a war to prevent gays from being able to get married. Gay marriage was once illegal across the board, but as the culture shifted, it made sense to make it legal and stop denying a group of people their rights. That doesn't mean we ignore that gay marriage was once illegal in Oregon, it just means that now those that were still fighting against it are now legal too.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:24 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Another reason why I always liked this guy:

Dale Jr. says the Confederate flag is 'offensive to an entire race' - SBNation.com

Old 06-28-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I always respected and liked the Earnhardt family, Dale Jr reminds me a lot like his dad.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:27 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
The 14 star Victoria's Cross battle flag has been the crux of controversy for a long time. However, a few other state banners payhomage to Confederate ties, just as overtly, but seem to be hiding in plain sight. Texas is one such. Their state flag is a Confederate First National, with one , large star. Put 7 stars in a half circle, on the blue field, and bingo. I've seen quite a few Bonny Blues flying in various places, as well. She's right up there, with the battle flag, for being on display. But, the battle flag is what seems to set folks to fighting.

I knew that it would come to calls for removal and outright bans on display of the battle flag. . Its started with removal from state government grounds and state banners, but, it will have to expand. The military, most notably the Army, uses it on division and certain post flags. I find it interesting that hasn't been called to notice. I used to work for DoD, with a contractor, on an Army base. I was called into HR one day, and put on the carpet for a jacket I had been wearing for years, depicting three Confederate soldiers at Antietam. One corner of a battle flag was visible in the background, and I was accused of being a racist, and threatened with termination.

So, I couldn't wear that jacket at work anymore. Interestingly, it was a black guy, a friend of mine who also worked there, that did the artwork on it for me. I was heavily into reenacting then, had done a lot of living history work on the local school and during big community celebrations as well. Suddenly, I was a racist. A week after this we bad a change of command ceremony. In the flag displays , I counted 7 divisional flags with the battle flag incorporated, and, a full blown actual battle flag as well. My confusion stands, to this day.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I don't remember them complaining about it a few weeks ago.

Of course we know that it's because their messiah and his favorite race baiter told them to. But I just wanted to hear their excuses as to why they suddenly decided to be outraged.
We have not talked about it down here in Florida since Jeb Bush removed it when he was the governor.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:37 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
are you disputing that only 50 years ago Southern states were oppressing their own people under the banner of "states rights"? I am sorry, but I just can't see the South ever living that down in my lifetime. The fact that they are so consistently BEHIND THE TIMES is unfathomable that it cannot be random.
How did Japan and USA get over WWII..... atrocities, bombs and all?

Not getting over the past is the stuff of the middle east savages whose grandfather at one time, a thousand years before Christ, stole the other guys goat.

time for race hucksters to find a real job, something where they don't raise 'victims' to feed off.

Wake up everyday and tell someone they are a victim and doomed to live in the past while everyone else is concerned with the future. This si why some people are afraid of snakes or bugs...their mother drilled it into them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies