Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:47 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Agreed and that is the point of this thread. Why don't we apply this to white people? Maybe because they feel they don't have to distinguished themselves or maybe they feel that they are the TRUE Americans.....

Why is that we have to do it with black people?
We don't have to and I never do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 09:51 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
People already use those terms.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Why are we only focusing our PC on "black" people, why not "white" people? What is a "white" person? If we are going to call black people African American even though they have no African cultural, why not call white people English or Irish or German or Polish or whatever "new" or "old" immigrant country they cam from American?

As a matter of fact since all people originally came from African, why don't we call everyone African American, why just black people?

When do we draw the line of African American people in the U.S.? 400 years removed or 10,000 years removed?

What do you want to be called "white" people? I have never seen a white person before? I have seen some "black" people before, but never a "white" person.

I'm going to start calling all "white" people European Americans...... I think they should be reminded where they are from as well as Asian Americans, Mexican Americans, and African African Americans......... You never here Armenian American, Italian American, Russian American, German American......so European American is appropriate no?
I'm black and I don't call myself an African American. If you call me that, I don't care. If you call me black. I don't care. If you call me an American, I don't care. Over 90% of black people don't care.

Why do you care so much that some black people call themselves African American? That is a more important question.

This is an old topic around here and seems to me that you just want to b itch about black people IMO.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:53 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,077,114 times
Because English power doesn't have the same effect as White power.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:54 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,596,541 times
Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid are the 3 most general classifications of race.
All others are variations within those three.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:03 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Why are we only focusing our PC on "black" people, why not "white" people? What is a "white" person? If we are going to call black people African American even though they have no African cultural, why not call white people English or Irish or German or Polish or whatever "new" or "old" immigrant country they cam from American?

As a matter of fact since all people originally came from African, why don't we call everyone African American, why just black people?

When do we draw the line of African American people in the U.S.? 400 years removed or 10,000 years removed?

What do you want to be called "white" people? I have never seen a white person before? I have seen some "black" people before, but never a "white" person.

I'm going to start calling all "white" people European Americans...... I think they should be reminded where they are from as well as Asian Americans, Mexican Americans, and African African Americans......... You never here Armenian American, Italian American, Russian American, German American......so European American is appropriate no?
The whole idea of human races is a recent invention.

Throughout history the English didn't identify with the Irish. The French didn't identify with Germans.

Meaning human beings didn't see themselves as connected by skin color, this fact was true throughout the rest of the world.

People's identities were based on place of birth, language, religious beliefs, and culture.

When one thinks of human identity in that manner, then the idea of human races doesn't make any sense.

The real beginning of the white American identity was wholly formed out of white supremacy, racism, and anti black hatred.

This white American identity told Europeans to let go of their culture heritage, to become apart of the superior white race.

The purpose of the white American identity and racial identities as formed in America was to discriminate against and force those racial identities upon non white people in favor of white Americans. That's it's only reason for its existence.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM

755 posts, read 675,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Well let's see! Most "white" or "hispanic" or "Asian" Americans can trace their roots to their "Mother" country hence you have 'Italian" Americans or "German" Americans or "Japanese" Americans, etc.

Black Americans are called "African-Americans" because the US Census had to come up with a name in 1970 to identify blacks on the Census. Slavery basically has stolen the history of black Americans.

Ever wonder why so many black Americans are named after Presidents? Jeffersons, Washingtons? Slave names. Notice how they aren't named Barack!

Huh?

What are you trying to say?

1. According to you, white people should all be called _________ American since they can trace their roots (I hope you mean direct family lineage).

2. What are white people called on the census? White-non Hispanic or European American?

3. No...I never wonder about where American black people got their names from.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:29 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:

I did not come from another country, I was born in America so I am American.
My Grandmother came from Germany but she became an American after she arrived in America.

If you want to refer to yourself as whatever country your ancestors came from feel free but I will continue to refer to myself as part of the Human race who is American.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:36 AM

755 posts, read 675,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'm black and I don't call myself an African American. If you call me that, I don't care. If you call me black. I don't care. If you call me an American, I don't care. Over 90% of black people don't care.

Why do you care so much that some black people call themselves African American? That is a more important question.

This is an old topic around here and seems to me that you just want to b itch about black people IMO.

Ooops! I am black! So thanks for telling me about black people

I am asking a relevant question that no one here has been able to answer.

Best answer thus far is; there are just too many categories. But yet with black people we lump them all into the same category.

Why start this thread? I want to start calling white people European Americans. No one has given me a reason why that wouldn't be appropriate and PC considering it is for black people to all be called African American.

I love your 90 percent black people don't care number......And it is not about what black people call themselves, it is about what white people call themselves.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
SMH....Get over it people. African American as a term isn't going anywhere and we're (the black folks that like the term) not gonna stop using it....EVER.

If you don't like it, take a Tylenol and drink a tall glass of water so you don't choke. Actually, DON'T drink that water, but take a triple dose of Tylenol.

And black folks....PLEASE stop arguing with white people about it. Give 'em the gas face and point them in the opposite direction. This whole discussion needs to end, and black people don't need to explain this anymore nor do we owe anyone an explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies