Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:06 PM

755 posts, read 675,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
On the east coast of the U.S. from Philadelphia to Boston, the terms Irish-American, Italian-American, and Polish American are used by the respective ethnic groups all the time. When I lived in the East Village of New York, there was virtually an Italian-American club on every corner (well it seemed like it). My visits to Philadelphia and Boston confirms the same with a proliferation of hyphenated ethnic clubs and organizations. So you are bit late with your proposal.

Of course it is also interesting that in spite of this obvious and long standing tradition amongst our Europe fellow citizens, the only folks who come up for criticism are African Americans... just can't figure out why that is.

That is different. Specify for cultural reasons versus national reason are two different associations. When you leave that Irish-American community, you are called a white American, period. I know and understand the whole micro-cultures and connection with the homeland...little Tokyo, China Town, Greek Town, German Town, Little Havana, Little Italy thing, but it is not common language.

You are talking about ethnic enclaves, that originally existed because those groups were not immediately accepted by Americans. The "new" immigrants of the late 18oo's and early 1900's had to unite and fight serious discrimination, but they don't now because they are all considered WHITE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 02:09 PM

755 posts, read 675,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am sorry, but if you are black, you are in the dominant culture.

How do I know this? Well, simple.

Ask any Asian persons in Asian countries. Ask them, Who are Americans? They will tell you white and black. They are not going to say anything else.
Huh...... Of course!! Did you not understand my answer? I didn't say them or those in my OP!! OMG

Old 07-06-2015, 02:11 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Huh...... Of course!! Did you not understand my answer? I didn't say them in my OP!! OMG
well, I agreed with you. You are in the dominate culture.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:15 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigger4u View Post
Because Hispanics and Blacks don't want to be part of society. They love their rotten culture full of drugs and pimps. Some know its rotten but the left defends it like they defend radial Islam.
That is one of the most racist, bigoted posts I have ever seen in this forum.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:17 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Why are we only focusing our PC on "black" people, why not "white" people? What is a "white" person? If we are going to call black people African American even though they have no African cultural, why not call white people English or Irish or German or Polish or whatever "new" or "old" immigrant country they cam from American?

As a matter of fact since all people originally came from African, why don't we call everyone African American, why just black people?

When do we draw the line of African American people in the U.S.? 400 years removed or 10,000 years removed?

What do you want to be called "white" people? I have never seen a white person before? I have seen some "black" people before, but never a "white" person.

I'm going to start calling all "white" people European Americans...... I think they should be reminded where they are from as well as Asian Americans, Mexican Americans, and African African Americans......... You never here Armenian American, Italian American, Russian American, German American......so European American is appropriate no?
Actually, I believe it was the black people themselves who started referring to themselves as African-American.

I want to simply be known as an "American." My allegiance is to America. I don't wish to profess any allegiance to any other country or continent (Africa is a continent, not a country).

Anyway, I'm German, English, and Irish. The handle would be very awkward.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
I come from a line of Irish and Swedish Americans, though at this point in the generations, I am so far removed from those roots that my child will basically just be White American with ancestry ties to Ireland, Sweden, Poland, and such.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:21 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Why are we only focusing our PC on "black" people, why not "white" people? What is a "white" person? If we are going to call black people African American even though they have no African cultural, why not call white people English or Irish or German or Polish or whatever "new" or "old" immigrant country they cam from American?

As a matter of fact since all people originally came from African, why don't we call everyone African American, why just black people?

When do we draw the line of African American people in the U.S.? 400 years removed or 10,000 years removed?

What do you want to be called "white" people? I have never seen a white person before? I have seen some "black" people before, but never a "white" person.

I'm going to start calling all "white" people European Americans...... I think they should be reminded where they are from as well as Asian Americans, Mexican Americans, and African African Americans......... You never here Armenian American, Italian American, Russian American, German American......so European American is appropriate no?
I'll yank your chain real hard on that: I'm of Irish family but; MY ethnicity IS "American" like like Carlos Slim, Mexico's richest man is a "Mexican" even tho his family's from the Middle East.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:21 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
'White' is not just complexion or original nationality. That's just liberal spin. The US government itself uses the term 'white' to describe the Caucasian race. All European ethnics and nationalities are classified as white. Blonde Scandinavians are white. So are Italian, greek, Mediterranean, some N. African and some Middle eastern are classified as white. They vary greatly in complexion, eye and skin color and make up many ethnics and nationalities of white, but they are all considered Caucasian or white-genetically, anthropologically, historically etc. Whites are already multicultural and diverse and always have been.

For example recent DNA research discovered that the Minoans on the island of Crete, the first Western civilization known was the ancestors of many Europeans.

When you are talking about American white, genetically, historically, they are predominately the descendant of Western Europeans. Genetic research reveals they have largely remained European to this day and can be genetically traced to populations in Europe. Western Europeans make up different nationalities and cultures but they are fairly closely genetically, historically related maybe from the days of the Roman Empire or what have you.

Liberals seem to strongly dislike Europeans the historical majority of whites in America.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:27 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Many do call themselves ________ - Americans. Ever been to a St Patrick's Day Parade?
yep, one day a year...and it is all inclusive even if you have no irish heritage...one day a year

Old 07-06-2015, 02:28 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,384,322 times
I just say European people from now on. As with African decent.

Also without the other race groups they revert to calling each other, there nationalism. White people do not call themselves white. This is only in the United States where it is common.

As with East Asian people ( who divide there nationalities into races and rightfully so ). The Europeans also have various types ( as with Big Cats, dogs, wild dogs, or flies ) and classifications as well. But this is only in science books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies