Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:35 PM

755 posts, read 675,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Actually, I believe it was the black people themselves who started referring to themselves as African-American.

I want to simply be known as an "American." My allegiance is to America. I don't wish to profess any allegiance to any other country or continent (Africa is a continent, not a country).

Anyway, I'm German, English, and Irish. The handle would be very awkward.
Asia is a continent....India is in Asia along with Russia and many other places......just saying, but I agree with your point. It is utter non-sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 02:36 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I am a human being from Earth. Sorry if that is not divisive enough for some people.

The idea that we are divided into different races based to any degree on variances in our skin pigmentation is patently absurd. There is literally no biological justification for this.

In fact, there is only one race, the human race.
Well medical research sees a biological difference as well as a geographical difference. Race is only important to medicine and for federal government forms.

The socially correct term for one race changes without warning as the rest of the folks, trying to be polite, keep up as best they can. Race and ethnicity are most often confused.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'll yank your chain real hard on that: I'm of Irish family but; MY ethnicity IS "American" like like Carlos Slim, Mexico's richest man is a "Mexican" even tho his family's from the Middle East.
Your race is white and your ethnicity is Irish and your nationality is American. You could call yourself white or Irish or American. Carlos Slim race is perhaps white, his ethnicity is Middle Eastern rather than hispanic and his nationality is Mexican. But none of that changes the fact that historically Mexicans are predominately mestizo and Americans European.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:39 PM

755 posts, read 675,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'll yank your chain real hard on that: I'm of Irish family but; MY ethnicity IS "American" like like Carlos Slim, Mexico's richest man is a "Mexican" even tho his family's from the Middle East.

ahhh... Ethnicity and nationality are two different things. We are all Americans in our nationality if we have citizenship, but ethnically and culturally we could be anything we'd like. Racially, not so much.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:43 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,384,322 times
In fact black americans are the most real Americans. Because America is the false name of this nation. Imaginary nation with imaginary people. I believe if we can raise the flag back up, and bring back the names of the park. We could also call Black people American. So when you take job testing you can just fill out

Native American = Indigenous people
American = Black
European = White or person from European nation matching that.
Real African = Person from African nations
Easterner = China, Korean, etc
Oriental = India, Arabic, etc
Pacific islander non-Asian = Hawaii etc
Other please specify

Old 07-06-2015, 02:44 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Ooops! I am black! So thanks for telling me about black people

I am asking a relevant question that no one here has been able to answer.

Best answer thus far is; there are just too many categories. But yet with black people we lump them all into the same category.

Why start this thread? I want to start calling white people European Americans. No one has given me a reason why that wouldn't be appropriate and PC considering it is for black people to all be called African American.

I love your 90 percent black people don't care number......And it is not about what black people call themselves, it is about what white people call themselves.

Well I'll rephrase my previous comments - why do you care what white people call themselves?

The question is not relevant. People can call themselves whatever they want to call themselves for whatever reasons they want.

Black people evidently don't care about being lumped into a category. If you really are black, do you care?

I'm not white, but I think it would be appropriate of me to guess that white people don't care if you call them white.

White people chime in!

Do you want jmac1 to call you European American or white?

LOL

Old 07-06-2015, 02:56 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
In fact black americans are the most real Americans. Because America is the false name of this nation. Imaginary nation with imaginary people. I believe if we can raise the flag back up, and bring back the names of the park. We could also call Black people American. So when you take job testing you can just fill out
Absolutely not. The first Americans previously the British colony were white and blacks came along a few decades later along with German, Dutch and other Europeans. So no the first Americans were European and blacks as they came around roughly the same time in the beginning. It's always historically been 85-90% European white and 10-15% black.

American Indians are indigenous or aboriginal migrants to separate tribal nations.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:57 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,432,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Well medical research sees a biological difference as well as a geographical difference. Race is only important to medicine and for federal government forms. The socially correct term for one race changes without warning as the rest of the folks, trying to be polite, keep up as best they can. Race and ethnicity are most often confused.

Well, by definition, race means a division of mankind possessing in characteristic proportions certain combinations of physical traits that can be inherited and that are sufficient to set the group apart as a distinct human type. It should be noted, however, that the fact that the races are capable of intermarriage and reproduction shows that they are actually of one 'kind,' all being members of the human family, none inherently superior to any other. So the various races are merely facets of the total variation possible in humankind.

And according to an international body of scientists convened by UNESCO, all people belong to a single species, Homo sapiens, and are derived from a common stock. Biological differences between human beings are due to differences in hereditary constitution and to the influence of the environment on this genetic potential. In most cases, those differences are due to the interaction of these two sets of factors. Differences between individuals within a race or within a population are often greater than the average differences between races or populations.

From what I have read, a 'race' is simply one of the partially isolated gene pools into which the human species came to be divided during and following its early geographical spread. Roughly one race has developed on each of the five major continental areas of the earth. We did indeed diverge genetically during this phase of history and we can measure and study the results of this divergence in what remains today of the old geographical races. As we would expect, divergence appears to be correlated with the degree of isolation. When race formation took place on the continents, with the bottlenecking of thousands of populations in isolated gene pools all over the world, the gene-frequency differences we now see were established. The paradox around our perception of each group of humans being externally different is that underneath these differences there is fundamental similarity. In fact, early in human history, when a group of people were isolated from others and married within the group, certain distinctive combinations of genetic traits were emphasized in their offspring.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:04 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
"Ignatiev's study of Irish immigrants in the 19th-century United States argues that an Irish triumph over nativism marks the incorporation of the Irish into the dominant group of American society. Ignatiev asserts that the Irish were not initially accepted as white by the dominant English-American population. He claims that only through their own violence against free blacks and support of slavery did the Irish gain acceptance as white."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Ignatiev

Too many White people don't want to be called anything else but "White." They have worked too hard for generations to keep their bloodlines white and they won't let you take that away from them. Only a White woman can give birth to White baby. A White woman can have a Black baby but a Black woman can’t have a White baby. For many of them whiteness is their sole possession, carte Blanche if you will.

How did they become White? For some meeting the Native American on equal terms and oppressing him. Even the Scotch Irish stopped referring to themselves as Scotch Irish and just Scotch when the "real" Irish came to America because the Irish hadn't yet made it into the ranks of Whiteness until they too learned to oppress.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:05 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Well I'll rephrase my previous comments - why do you care what white people call themselves?

The question is not relevant. People can call themselves whatever they want to call themselves for whatever reasons they want.

Black people evidently don't care about being lumped into a category. If you really are black, do you care?

I'm not white, but I think it would be appropriate of me to guess that white people don't care if you call them white.

White people chime in!

Do you want jmac1 to call you European American or white?

LOL

You can call me anything you want..... just don't call me late for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies