Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 01:09 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The first generation always clings to their roots and wants their children to do so as well. Heck, we see same thing here in Zona all the time with the midwesterners who come here and want their teams, their food, and so on. It's just natural. In the end though, it fails. The second generation is less "foreign" and by the third and subsequent generation the ties to the old world are gone. The third generation is the first generation of assimilation.
Disagree. My parents came here from other countries in 1942 and 1957 respectively and did hold onto their roots in terms of language and cuisine but not politics. They wanted their children, three sons, to be as American as possible. They understood the best success was to integrate and not act apart from Society.Some aspects of American culture they did not understand- muscle cars,rock roll and firearms. Others they did- Uniquely American sports as in football, serial dating and television programming.

We are boomers and Xers.

Last edited by Felix C; 07-17-2015 at 02:18 PM..

Old 07-17-2015, 01:23 PM

491 posts, read 324,908 times
Can we reaffirm that playing sports or not is not a barometer of Americanization. Secondly, the vast, vast majority of all immigrants integrate well.

Only the Hispanic community is so big and concentrated in the S/SW/W that they present a possible danger to the broader concept of America.

To address the OPs original rant - which was anti Muslim - it is a baseless position. The vast integrate really well and the odd idiot cannot tarnish the entire set.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:25 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
This is textbook redneck racism. Apparently "assimilation" means "becoming just like typical white people," as if those are the only Americans.

Maybe it's a good thing that newcomers often reject American values. After all, many values held in such high esteem here are rather questionable. (That's assuming we can settle on one representative set of values, which is, of course, ridiculous.) Many of the immigrants here do a better job of living peaceful, family-oriented lives than most Americans do. I think it's about time that Americans learned from other cultures.
Oh stop with this nonsense! No, assimilation means respecting our values and our laws. What's questionable about them? Are you claiming that the negatives is what makes up our identifying culture? Every county in the world has its problems and so do we but so what? It also means embracing our mainstream culture and language. Blacks are also a part of that. Where is your proof that "immigrants" are more peaceful and family oriented? You know that's just nonsense! If our culture is so bad and we have to learn from "immigrants" to be decent people then why are we the most successful country on this planet and why are "immigrants" just begging to come here? I have no further need to read any more of your anti-American, anti-white comments and insults. Welcome to my ignore list.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:50 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Immigrants today are not assimilating, are not encouraged to assimilate and are from foreign to the west cultures that largely can't assimilate.

A western non-muslim woman can't go to an Arab country and not cover her head with a rag and wear western clothing, request American food, and complain and attack the Arab/muslim culture and rules. But muslims come to America and cover their head and wear middle east clothing and complain and attack American culture.

Progressive know what American and western culture is, they just want to destroy it. People from culures outside of the West do not belong in the West.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:08 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
Can we reaffirm that playing sports or not is not a barometer of Americanization. Secondly, the vast, vast majority of all immigrants integrate well.

Only the Hispanic community is so big and concentrated in the S/SW/W that they present a possible danger to the broader concept of America.

To address the OPs original rant - which was anti Muslim - it is a baseless position. The vast integrate really well and the odd idiot cannot tarnish the entire set.

Hispanics are no more of a threat than other immigrant groups. Also hispanic populations are growing across the country, not just the south, southwest or west.

I lived in the SE and they are a very fast growing population. I am from the Midwest and we have had hispanics in the Midwest for many generations and new ones are still coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Immigrants today are not assimilating, are not encouraged to assimilate and are from foreign to the west cultures that largely can't assimilate.

A western non-muslim woman can't go to an Arab country and not cover her head with a rag and wear western clothing, request American food, and complain and attack the Arab/muslim culture and rules. But muslims come to America and cover their head and wear middle east clothing and complain and attack American culture.

Progressive know what American and western culture is, they just want to destroy it. People from culures outside of the West do not belong in the West.
I haven't seen any muslims try to destroy our country by wearing a headdress. They probably are appreciative that America as lots of freedoms including of speech and religion that allows them to follow whatever religious traditions they would like and wear what they want to wear.

Many of you speaking ill of immigrants or specific immigrant groups should really read up on the nativist movement of the 1800s to 1900s. You sound just like them except for you substitute German, Irish, Catholic, Chinese, and Japanese with "Hispanics" and "Muslims."

All of the above groups that people were so afraid of and cautious about are Americanized and are doing fine in this country on the whole.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:16 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I haven't seen any muslims try to destroy our country by wearing a headdress. They probably are appreciative that America as lots of freedoms including of speech and religion that allows them to follow whatever religious traditions they would like and wear what they want to wear.
Immigrants destroy this country by not assimilating and trying to either assimilate America to their culture or set up a colony. Then they engage in sociopolitical religious based terrorism. We had to suspend our privacy rights and spend billions to try to suppress Islamic terrorism and we can't suppress it, because it is an ethnic/sociopolitical 'religion' of conquest. Immigrants also destroy this country by overpopulating it with mostly third world demographics.

Quote:
Many of you speaking ill of immigrants or specific immigrant groups should really read up on the nativist movement of the 1800s to 1900s. You sound just like them except for you substitute German, Irish, Catholic, Chinese, and Japanese with "Hispanics" and "Muslims."

All of the above groups that people were so afraid of and cautious about are Americanized and are doing fine in this country on the whole.
This is not the 1800-1900. Immigrants that arrived later especially after the 1960's are nothing like immigrants in the 1800's or even early 1900s, but many of those immigrants did cause problems too, organized crime, Zionist, communist etc.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:21 PM

674 posts, read 611,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh stop with this nonsense! No, assimilation means respecting our values and our laws. What's questionable about them? Are you claiming that the negatives is what makes up our identifying culture? Every county in the world has its problems and so do we but so what? It also means embracing our mainstream culture and language. Blacks are also a part of that. Where is your proof that "immigrants" are more peaceful and family oriented? You know that's just nonsense! If our culture is so bad and we have to learn from "immigrants" to be decent people then why are we the most successful country on this planet and why are "immigrants" just begging to come here? I have no further need to read any more of your anti-American, anti-white comments and insults. Welcome to my ignore list.
"Our" values?

Ha ha ha. I'm as American as you are, and my values line up a lot better with more traditional morals than with what I see in the U.S.

If you want proof that America isn't doing too well when it comes to family, just look at the divorce rate. It's shameful. So many Americans get defensive about their "freedom" to abandon their families at any time that they create their own massive social problems, and these problems get worse generation after generation. Where my family comes from, the idea of having kids out of wedlock or marrying, having a kid, divorcing, marrying again, having another kid, and so on, leaving children passed back and forth between Parental Set #1, Parental Set #2, and maybe the original mother and her live-in unemplmoyed boyfriend, would be considered absolutely shameful. Yes, indeed, Americans can learn from the way families in other countries are constructed.

Where my family comes from, sleeping around with 20 different people to "find yourself" during college is considered shameful. Here, people get defensive about it. Americans could learn a little by seeing how other cultures do things. (Note that this point has some interesting ties with my previous point.)

If you were being honest with yourself, you'd note that people want to come to the U.S. because of economic opportunity and freedom from oppression, not because American culture is so much better than everything else on the planet. Really! My people came here because the Communists ruined our home. We keep our culture alive in California (and elsewhere), and we're generally very successful. It's quite the success story. It turns out people can take the good from America (freedom and opportunity) without diving into the cesspool of broken families, anti-intellectualism, and xenophobia.

American culture isn't the only culture with good facets.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:25 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
"Our" values?

Ha ha ha. I'm as American as you are, and my values line up a lot better with more traditional morals than with what I see in the U.S.

If you want proof that America isn't doing too well when it comes to family, just look at the divorce rate. It's shameful. So many Americans get defensive about their "freedom" to abandon their families at any time that they create their own massive social problems, and these problems get worse generation after generation. Where my family comes from, the idea of having kids out of wedlock or marrying, having a kid, divorcing, marrying again, having another kid, and so on, leaving children passed back and forth between Parental Set #1, Parental Set #2, and maybe the original mother and her live-in unemplmoyed boyfriend, would be considered absolutely shameful. Yes, indeed, Americans can learn from the way families in other countries are constructed.

Where my family comes from, sleeping around with 20 different people to "find yourself" during college is considered shameful. Here, people get defensive about it. Americans could learn a little by seeing how other cultures do things. (Note that this point has some interesting ties with my previous point.)

If you were being honest with yourself, you'd note that people want to come to the U.S. because of economic opportunity and freedom from oppression, not because American culture is so much better than everything else on the planet. Really! My people came here because the Communists ruined our home. We keep our culture alive in California (and elsewhere), and we're generally very successful. It's quite the success story. It turns out people can take the good from America (freedom and opportunity) without diving into the cesspool of broken families, anti-intellectualism, and xenophobia.

American culture isn't the only culture with good facets.
That's an inherently contradictory statement.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:33 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
Unlike past immigrants that assimilated into American Culture. I would say that most of the current immigrants coming here only to exploit the country's benefits. Great example the Chattanooga gunman's father that didn't want his son Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez to participate in sports. Why because he didn't want his son to become Americanized. I know this doesnt apply to all immigrants but I would say a good majority. The danger of this in the end where do their loyalties lie.
I remember an HBO special on immigration during the Reagan presidency. They interviewed a woman from Mexico who had been in the US for twenty years, spoke no English at all. When the reporter asked her why, she said why does she need to, she watches Spanish language TV shows, Spanish language radio stations, goes to stores owned and operated by Spanish speaking people, and all her freeings and family speak in Spanish. She said she and many she knows, have no intentions of becoming Americans.

That does not describe everyone of course, I just wonder how many it does.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:34 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
Unlike past immigrants that assimilated into American Culture. I would say that most of the current immigrants coming here only to exploit the country's benefits. Great example the Chattanooga gunman's father that didn't want his son Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez to participate in sports. Why because he didn't want his son to become Americanized. I know this doesnt apply to all immigrants but I would say a good majority. The danger of this in the end where do their loyalties lie.
I have to agree. Why come here if you don't want to be an American? I live in an area with two large immigrant populations and they do not assimilate. I really wonder why they came here. Why move somewhere and then try to make it like the place you left? Sometimes I feel like we're being invaded.

There is a saying that if you are not with me you are against me. I'll second wondering where their loyalties lie. My grandparents came here to become American. They learned the language and adopted an American lifestyle. They came here because they wanted to be American. It seems like new immigrants don't want that. They seem to want to make this country like the one they left which begs the question why leave it? Why not improve where they were since that is the lifestyle they obviously want? I suspect we're being taken advantage of and once the gravy train runs out America will be like the country they left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.