Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 05:18 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times

Advertisements

The Myth Of The Left That Immigrants Want To Assimilate In Becoming Americans

Could you please post the source for your 'theory?' Specifically, the for the part about the 'left.'

Funny, I always thought George W. Bush was on the 'right.'

I assume Mr. Bush did all this because he thinks immigrants want to assimilate.

"Mr. Aguilar said Mr. Bush made assimilation of immigrants a focus of his administration. That included rewriting the citizenship test to help make sure applicants were learning fundamental principles of American democracy, not just memorizing facts...The 2007 bill that Mr. Bush oversaw contained a pathway to citizenship and several specific provisions to boost assimilation, including designating English as the “national language” of the U.S. and trying to promote what the bill called “patriotic integration” through federally backed citizenship, civics and English classes."

Assimilating immigrants into the U.S.: New citizens view America differently - Washington Times

Old 07-17-2015, 05:57 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
fat lou, you're very obviously speaking from a place of ignorance, so I'll try to refrain from insulting you too much. It'll be difficult, though.

Try not to be such an unapologetic racist. Seriously. "What's so great about [culture I don't understand or know anything about]?" Seriously? That attitude shows that you aren't even concerned with trying to learn anything. You're just sitting squarely in your little land of privilege and looking down on people who come from places with scary names.

Ivorytickler, you're asking too much of people. First generation immigrants, especially people driving out of their homelands, are often a bit older, and old people have trouble learning new languages. It's really easy for you to sit there and insist that someone learn an extremely difficult language (as English is to a lot of immigrants, especially those whose first languages are not Indo-European). They don't owe you a conversation. They don't have to cater to you when they fill the market niche of businesses with advertisements and signs in other languages.

Their kids speak English just fine, for what it's worth.

Really, how entitled do you have to be to insist that people need to cater their business and marketing plans to your preferences in their neighborhoods? You're already part of the dominant culture is a very well-off country. You've got it made. Almost everyone already caters to you.
Bwahahaha! Oh no mister angry crank on the internet, please don't insult me! Oh, and I asked you tell me what's so great about Vietnamese culture, then you accuse me of not wanting to learn anything, yet again making an inherently contradictory statement. You're good for a laugh, I'll give you that.
But I really was curious to find out what's so great about Vietnamese culture. Pity you couldn't name even one thing.

Last edited by fat lou; 07-17-2015 at 06:28 PM..

Old 07-17-2015, 05:58 PM

80 posts, read 61,677 times
Quote:
Funny, I always thought George W. Bush was on the 'right.'
I never considered Bush on the right more of a "RINO".

Old 07-17-2015, 05:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
very true that the modern immigrant assimilates less.
this will prove a costly mistake.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:05 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I'm a part of the society. I speak English, I pay a lot of taxes to feed all those fat and lazy, I'm not a criminal. My relationship with USA are strictly business. America gives me right to work and make money, I pay taxes and abide the law. I don't hate most of the local culture, I just don't care.
Why I'm here? Pure coincidence. One day I was bored and played the green card lottery just for fun. And after winning I thought to myself why not to try to live in US few years.
Stories like yours are good examples as to why the green card lottery needs to be abolished.

Last edited by BOS2IAD; 07-17-2015 at 06:37 PM..

Old 07-17-2015, 06:21 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Interesting - since he was involved in MMA fighting.

Chattanooga Shooter Muhammad Abdulazeez's Cage Fighting Past
My thoughts exactly.As a matter of fact if he was caught DUI and pot and cocaine, I'd say he had assimilated a bit too well for an arab.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-17-2015 at 07:43 PM..

Old 07-17-2015, 06:33 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
Unlike past immigrants that assimilated into American Culture. I would say that most of the current immigrants coming here only to exploit the country's benefits. Great example the Chattanooga gunman's father that didn't want his son Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez to participate in sports. Why because he didn't want his son to become Americanized. I know this doesnt apply to all immigrants but I would say a good majority. The danger of this in the end where do their loyalties lie.
Provide some data to support your claim that a "good majority" of all immigrants in America don't want to assimilate into American culture.

Is this how conservatives reach their opinions - take one person from one publicized incident and then extrapolate to a conclusion regarding multiple millions of people?

Old 07-17-2015, 06:36 PM

80 posts, read 61,677 times
Quote:
Provide some data to support your claim that a "good majority" of all immigrants in America don't want to assimilate into American culture.
Simple make a call to business or gov agencies and I'm sure you'll get a recording push 2 for english.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
The real myth is the idea that any group came here to assimilate. None did.

Europeans HELD TIGHTLY to their language and customs for generations before fully assimilating.

Again...in 1914 at the start of WW1, there were 700 German language newspapers in this country although the apex of German immigration was in the mid 1870's.

That's about 40 years and two generations. And Germans are the largest ethnic group in this country.

So there goes the "assimilation" theory.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:55 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The real myth is the idea that any group came here to assimilate. None did.

Europeans HELD TIGHTLY to their language and customs for generations before fully assimilating.

Again...in 1914 at the start of WW1, there were 700 German language newspapers in this country although the apex of German immigration was in the mid 1870's.

That's about 40 years and two generations. And Germans are the largest ethnic group in this country.

So there goes the "assimilation" theory.
Then WW 1 DID break out and the "Germans" in the US started becoming "American" real quick since there was so much prejudice against almost anything German, especially them jabbering away in that language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies