Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 03:57 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
If you live in a border city that is in the service industry including doctors and dentists, you better learn to speak Spanish if you expect to be hired.
That's fine. The private sector has business requirements that must be met to make money. There's nothing wrong with that.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:01 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Correct. That's why Texas is full of the Hispanic American culture that varies from the Mexican culture.
Incorrect. It's because Mexicans violate are border and immigration law and 'we' don't enforce or obey the law. Lots of things are possible when you don't enforce the law, the sky's the limit.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
Quote:
That's fine. The private sector has business requirements that must be met to make money. There's nothing wrong with that.
There is something wrong with the fact that American citizens who don't speak Spanish are unemployable for many available jobs. People who move here should feel obliged to learn English. They do not. Many times when I answer our business phone I am asked if I speak Spanish. Many times they do not like my Spanish and insist on speaking to a fluent Spanish speaker. Really?

Old 07-18-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Incorrect. It's because Mexicans violate are border and immigration law and 'we' don't enforce or obey the law. Lots of things are possible when you don't enforce the law, the sky's the limit.
It's a combination. If we didn't have illegal immigrants, we'd still have the Hispanic American culture that exists in Texas today. It's a part of this nation and a part of American culture. It won't just disappear.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
There is something wrong with the fact that American citizens who don't speak Spanish are unemployable for many available jobs. People who move here should feel obliged to learn English. They do not. Many times when I answer our business phone I am asked if I speak Spanish. Many times they do not like my Spanish and insist on speaking to a fluent Spanish speaker. Really?
A business has to cater to the customer. Businesses don't choose what languages their customers speak.

I personally feel that those who come to America should want to learn English and it's in their best interest to do so. But the United States does not require that of them since we don't have an official language and they don't end up learning it themselves. However 2-3 generations down, they do. If you look at the numbers, almost all descendants of immigrants speak English by the second or third generation.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:14 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
It's a combination. If we didn't have illegal immigrants, we'd still have the Hispanic American culture that exists in Texas today. It's a part of this nation and a part of American culture. It won't just disappear.
No. There were hardly any Hispanics in Texas when it became a US state in 1845. Just 30 years or so ago the Mexicans were not as numerous and mostly spoke english and tried to assimilate. Most of them there now snuck in illegally and more recently.

Are you an immigration lawyer? I wonder because Texas is now being flooded by 'immigrants' legal and illegal from all over the world.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Are you an immigration lawyer? I wonder because Texas is now being flooded by 'immigrants' legal and illegal from all over the world.
I practice Constitutional law (JD) and have a PhD in American history... which is why I find this topic interesting.

I don't deal with immigration for the most part. But on occasion I am involved in interpreting the Constitution for immigration-related issues.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
Quote:
A business has to cater to the customer. Businesses don't choose what languages their customers speak.

I personally feel that those who come to America should want to learn English and it's in their best interest to do so. But the United States does not require that of them since we don't have an official language and they don't end up learning it themselves. However 2-3 generations down, they do. If you look at the numbers, almost all descendants of immigrants speak English by the second or third generation.
Sorry, it is BS that people move to this country and expect people who live here to speak to them in their native language. It is my experience that it is Mexican immigrants legal and illegal that expect this. I try to learn some conversant language before I travel. Why don't they have the courtesy to do the same?

Old 07-18-2015, 04:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
You mean like the white European INVADERS assimilated into the Native American culture?

If it makes you that mad; please find another country to move to. Besides; the American Indians didn't play real well with each other before the Hispanics came here about 1492.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:24 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
It's Texas... a state that was part of Mexico....
For less than 30 years. Texas pulled a "Guatemala" and gave Mexico the boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies