Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 03:45 AM

943 posts, read 783,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I disagree. I'm white American and my neighbor is Indian American. My neighbor is a well established Doctor in this area and lives a similar lifestyle to me. I'm no more American than he is just because of my skin color (or the fact that my ancestors arrived on the Mayflower).
What do you mean you disagree? I just said the same thing. Being white has nothing to do with being the legit American.

By the way, not being a doctor or not having a bachelors degree doesn't mean you aren't assimilated. A carpenter or plumber is just as assimilated. Are you implying that if you don't live in the suburbs in a McMansion and have a Bachelors or Masters degree you are not assimilated?? Are rural people inherently un-American.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:47 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
What do you mean you disagree? I just said the same thing. Being white has nothing to do with being the legit American.

By the way, not being a doctor or not having a bachelors degree doesn't mean you aren't assimilated. A carpenter or plumber is just as assimilated. Are you implying that if you don't live in the suburbs in a McMansion and have a Bachelors or Masters degree you are not assimilated?? Are rural people inherently un-American.
I'm not saying that at all. I was pointing out the similarities between my neighbor and I. He's not an Indian cab driver who cannot speak English who just came here yesterday on a boat. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but in the context of assimilation, it would not be a good character to compare to me.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:48 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
You can be white or black or brown and un-American. Progressive libs are unassimilated by choice. They've torn up the very constitution.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:52 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You can be white or black or brown and un-American. Progressive libs are unassimilated by choice.
I couldn't agree more. We have many white, black and brown people who don't pay taxes on online purchases. That's anti-American as it is suggestive that they don't believe in the Constitution. We have white, black and brown people who do not believe in the Constitutionally mandated equal rights for all American citizens and that they shall not be denied based on "account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude." These anti-Americans are the threat to this nation.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
And I disagree completely. You believe 12% or less of the population should dominate the rest? US culture was largely model after the British and other European culture. You should know that.
Being the majority of a nation doesn't mean your race is the true blue American. Your logic seems like that of a kindergartner. And I never said anything about dominating anyone. I just said that black Americans are just as legitimate in having American culture and customs.

Think of it this way. India is a multi-lingual society. Just because a majority speak Hindi and English doesn't mean those that speak other languages are fake Indians or are "un-assimilated." Canada has two official languages-- French and English. The fact that the English speaking population is the majority of Canada doesn't mean Francophones and Quebec are un-assimilated. LOL.

Black Americans are assimilated because they

speak English (with a different accent, but English nonetheless),

celebrate US holidays like July 4th, thanksgiving, and Halloween

play or watch baseball, US football, basketball

eat US foods

have basic us customs and mannerisms

Old 07-18-2015, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
No, it really isn't.

A country can have a beautiful culture while still being a bad place to live (cf. Vietnam), and it can have an awful culture while still being a nice place to live (cf. France).

America's current culture isn't even what built the country into the economic juggernaut it is today.

To suggest that we can't learn from elsewhere is the height of arrogance.
Why do you think France has an awful culture?

Old 07-18-2015, 06:55 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,330,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The issue today is coming here and making no effort to fit in.
Let me repeat, this is exactly the same argument that has been made for every new wave of immigration:

"Few of their children in the country learn English ... The signs in our streets have inscriptions in both languages ... Unless the stream of their importation could be turned they will soon so outnumber us that all the advantages we have will not be able to preserve our language, and even our government will become precarious."

- Benjamin Franklin, Founding Father, on German immigration to
Pennsylvania, 1750s

"We should build a wall of brass around the country."

- John Jay, first chief justice of Supreme Court, regarding “Catholic alien invaders,” 1750s

"What means the paying of the passage and emptying out upon our shores such floods of pauper emigrants — the contents of the poor house and the sweepings of the streets? — multiplying tumults and violence, filling our prisons, and crowding our poor-houses, and quadrupling our taxation, and sending annually accumulating thousands to the poll to lay their inexperienced hand upon the helm of our power?" -

- Lyman Beecher, Leader of the Second Great Awakening, on English immigrants, 1834

"The enormous influx of alien foreigners will in the end prove ruinous to American workingmen, by REDUCING THE WAGES OF LABOR to a standard that will drive them from the farms and workshops altogether."

- Opinion article in the Philadelphia Sun, 1854

"Standing behind them are Christian employers of this land, who would rather import heathen willing to work for barely enough to sustain life than retain a brother Christian at a wage sufficient to live as becomes a Christian. We do not want Opium or the Chinese who grow it."

- Terence Powderly, Irish-American labor leader, 1892

"We demand the change of the national naturalization laws by the repeal of the act authorizing the naturalization of minors…We demand for the protection of our citizen laborers, the prohibition of the importation of pauper labor, and the restriction of immigration…We protest against the gross negligence and laxity with which the Judiciary of our land administer the present naturalization laws, and against the practice of naturalizing aliens."

statement of principles of the American Protective Association, 1894

"Not a day passes but families are ruthlessly turned out to make room for foreign invaders. The rates are burdened with the education of thousands of foreign children."

- William Evans Gordon, British nativist, 1905

"The people of this country are too tolerant. There’s no other country in the world where they’d allow it... After all we built up this country and then we allow a lot of foreigners, the scum of Europe, the offscourings of Polish ghettos to come and run it for us."

– John Dos Passos, early 20th century novelist, on U.S. immigration policy

"They are coming in such numbers and we are unable adequately to take care of them…It simply amounts to unrestricted and indiscriminate dumping into this country of people of every character and description…If there were in existence a ship that could hold three million human beings, then three million Jews of Poland would board to escape to America."

- Congressional hearing, 1920

"Now, what do we find in all our large cities? Entire sections containing a population incapable of understanding our institutions, with no comprehension of our national ideals, and for the most part incapable of speaking the English language. Foreign language information service gives evidence that many southern Europeans resent as an unjust discrimination the quota laws and represent America as showing race hatred and unmindful of its mission to the world. The reverse is true. America’s first duty is to those already within her own shores."

- Representative Grant Hudson, 1924

Old 07-18-2015, 08:36 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Let me repeat, this is exactly the same argument that has been made for every new wave of immigration:
"Few of their children in the country learn English ... The signs in our streets have inscriptions in both languages ... Unless the stream of their importation could be turned they will soon so outnumber us that all the advantages we have will not be able to preserve our language, and even our government will become precarious."

- Benjamin Franklin, Founding Father, on German immigration to
Pennsylvania, 1750s

"We should build a wall of brass around the country."

- John Jay, first chief justice of Supreme Court, regarding “Catholic alien invaders,” 1750s

"What means the paying of the passage and emptying out upon our shores such floods of pauper emigrants — the contents of the poor house and the sweepings of the streets? — multiplying tumults and violence, filling our prisons, and crowding our poor-houses, and quadrupling our taxation, and sending annually accumulating thousands to the poll to lay their inexperienced hand upon the helm of our power?" -

- Lyman Beecher, Leader of the Second Great Awakening, on English immigrants, 1834

"The enormous influx of alien foreigners will in the end prove ruinous to American workingmen, by REDUCING THE WAGES OF LABOR to a standard that will drive them from the farms and workshops altogether."

- Opinion article in the Philadelphia Sun, 1854

"Standing behind them are Christian employers of this land, who would rather import heathen willing to work for barely enough to sustain life than retain a brother Christian at a wage sufficient to live as becomes a Christian. We do not want Opium or the Chinese who grow it."

- Terence Powderly, Irish-American labor leader, 1892

"We demand the change of the national naturalization laws by the repeal of the act authorizing the naturalization of minors…We demand for the protection of our citizen laborers, the prohibition of the importation of pauper labor, and the restriction of immigration…We protest against the gross negligence and laxity with which the Judiciary of our land administer the present naturalization laws, and against the practice of naturalizing aliens."

statement of principles of the American Protective Association, 1894

"Not a day passes but families are ruthlessly turned out to make room for foreign invaders. The rates are burdened with the education of thousands of foreign children."

- William Evans Gordon, British nativist, 1905

"The people of this country are too tolerant. There’s no other country in the world where they’d allow it... After all we built up this country and then we allow a lot of foreigners, the scum of Europe, the offscourings of Polish ghettos to come and run it for us."

– John Dos Passos, early 20th century novelist, on U.S. immigration policy

"They are coming in such numbers and we are unable adequately to take care of them…It simply amounts to unrestricted and indiscriminate dumping into this country of people of every character and description…If there were in existence a ship that could hold three million human beings, then three million Jews of Poland would board to escape to America."

- Congressional hearing, 1920

"Now, what do we find in all our large cities? Entire sections containing a population incapable of understanding our institutions, with no comprehension of our national ideals, and for the most part incapable of speaking the English language. Foreign language information service gives evidence that many southern Europeans resent as an unjust discrimination the quota laws and represent America as showing race hatred and unmindful of its mission to the world. The reverse is true. America’s first duty is to those already within her own shores."

- Representative Grant Hudson, 1924
You're talking about a time when immigration was diversified. Immigration is not diversified today for the most part. Most immigrants coming here today both legally and illegally are mostly from one lingual, cultural, ethnic group. That makes assimilation harder and leads to colonization instead.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're talking about a time when immigration was diversified. Immigration is not diversified today for the most part. Most immigrants coming here today both legally and illegally are mostly from one lingual, cultural, ethnic group. That makes assimilation harder and leads to colonization instead.
Quite true. I'm in an area where May 5 is more important than July 4.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:55 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,202,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Quite true. I'm in an area where May 5 is more important than July 4.
In 20 years or less it will be like that in most of the Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies