Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 07:00 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No. When people don't even learn the language so they can communicate with Americans what are you to think? I live in an area with two large immigrant populations and when you drive into their areas of town I can't even read the signs on the businesses. I can't stop to ask directions, I can't have a conversation with them. They isolate themselves. Assimilation doesn't mean becoming exactly like those around you but the ability to communicate with them is critical. When I drive on their side of town I'm struck by the fact they don't even want my business. It's as if I'm expected to become like them if I want to get to know them.

I really do wonder why they came here. America is a melting pot but they have isolated themselves and duplicated life as they knew it there as much as they can. They are not joining the rest of society. They have set themselves apart from America. They didn't come here to join us. They don't seem to want to live here but here they are. Why move to a different country and then try to duplicate life in the country you came from other than to exploit benefits and get what you can from someone you don't even like enough to learn how talk to or do business with? If you do not stand with us you stand against us. They choose to not stand with us. I don't expect them to become like me but I do expect them to do what my grandparents did and learn the language so we can learn about each other. It is sad that I have neighbors I cannot carry on a conversation with who chose to come here and NOT learn the local language.
Hate to break it to you but a lot of Grandparents *mine included* never learned the language. This belief that immigrants of the past did things vastly different is a lot of crap.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The real myth is the idea that any group came here to assimilate. None did.

Europeans HELD TIGHTLY to their language and customs for generations before fully assimilating.

Again...in 1914 at the start of WW1, there were 700 German language newspapers in this country although the apex of German immigration was in the mid 1870's.

That's about 40 years and two generations. And Germans are the largest ethnic group in this country.

So there goes the "assimilation" theory.
Thank You! Finally someone who realizes that this is not a new phenomenon. You win 500 internets.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:08 PM

Some immigrants come here for that and most don't. The majority come to this Country because of the ease of economic prospects. Most of them tend to stay with their own people though. It's not until you get into the 2nd and 3rd generation that full assimilation happens. And this is something that goes back to the founding of this Country. Why do you think most cities have various areas with ethnic names and shops that match? Pretty sure the original inhabitants of the various Little Italys and China Rowns in most cities were not known for their English prowess or American cultural values.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:08 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Hate to break it to you but a lot of Grandparents *mine included* never learned the language. This belief that immigrants of the past did things vastly different is a lot of crap.
Def a real GOOD reason to shut off MOST legal immigration for about 40 years so the at least the kids of legal aliens assimilate. Illegal aliens and their anchors just need to leave. Period.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:15 PM

80 posts, read 61,677 times
Quote:
My grandparents as well HELD TIGHTLY to their language and customs. However, they never went on government assistance or insisted that Americans change to conform to their culture and customs. BTW...They never hated America. I wonder how many current immigrants I can say that about.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
My grandparents as well HELD TIGHTLY to their language and customs. However, they never went on government assistance or insisted that Americans change to conform to their culture and customs. BTW...They never hated America. I wonder how many current immigrants I can say that about.
Most people I see with independence cards are White or Black and very American. I rarely have come across an immigrant using one. Not saying that they don't exist but it's more common they have a similar work ethic to our Grandparents. You can't say that about a lot of Americans anymore :-P. As for the Culture thing that seems to be more driven by Liberal special interest groups than anything.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Def a real GOOD reason to shut off MOST legal immigration for about 40 years so the at least the kids of legal aliens assimilate. Illegal aliens and their anchors just need to leave. Period.
Yeah well that's not going to happen.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:28 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I know of some foreigners also that have been here for decades and never even made the effort to learn English. They stay within their ethnic conclaves and businesses are more than happy to pander to them in their native tongue. I can only imagine what our teachers have to deal with when they have kids in their classes that don't speak English either. Must be a nightmare.
From what I hear it is a nightmare. I don't know how you teach a child you cannot communicate with.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:31 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Rubbish. Kids growing up here assimilate anyway, regardless of their parents' status.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:36 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I can tell you that the group that immigrated with my grandparents did. I know them. I grew up around them. I never learned the language yet I could talk to all of my grandmother's neighbors who were also immigrants.

I would disagree that immigrants in the past refused to learn the language. Back in my grandparents day no one printed information in three different languages like they do around here today. You either learned English or you didn't know what was going on.

IMO if you don't want to be one of us you can go home. If I left this country for another you can bet your bottom dollar I'd learn the language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies