Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 10:21 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
As long as they speak English in public life(when at stores, banks, schools, etc) and respects basic customs and laws, I don't give a **** about anything else.
It's nobody business which language do I speak with my wife or friends in a bank, store or any other public place, except work.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 AM

943 posts, read 783,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
It's nobody business which language do I speak with my wife or friends in a bank, store or any other public place, except work.
I didn't mean immigrants can't speak their language to their friends or families. That is why I said public life. This means speaking English when speaking to a bank teller, cashier, in a court room, and in school. I didn't mean not being able to speak a foreign language in public.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:59 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,852,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
Unlike past immigrants that assimilated into American Culture. I would say that most of the current immigrants coming here only to exploit the country's benefits. Great example the Chattanooga gunman's father that didn't want his son Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez to participate in sports. Why because he didn't want his son to become Americanized. I know this doesnt apply to all immigrants but I would say a good majority. The danger of this in the end where do their loyalties lie.
You mean like the white European INVADERS assimilated into the Native American culture?

Attached Thumbnails
The Myth Of The Left That Immigrants Want To Assimilate In Becoming Americans-immigration.png  

Old 07-18-2015, 11:09 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,528 times
Quote:
I didn't mean immigrants can't speak their language to their friends or families. That is why I said public life. This means speaking English when speaking to a bank teller, cashier, in a court room, and in school. I didn't mean not being able to speak a foreign language in public.
If the bank teller or the cashier are speaking my language, why do we need to use English? There is no official language in USA.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:20 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The first generation always clings to their roots and wants their children to do so as well. Heck, we see same thing here in Zona all the time with the midwesterners who come here and want their teams, their food, and so on. It's just natural. In the end though, it fails. The second generation is less "foreign" and by the third and subsequent generation the ties to the old world are gone. The third generation is the first generation of assimilation.
Yup.
And since the rest of the world already knows so much about America these days, it's likely that the first and second generations will be quicker to assimilate than in the past.

And what's 'assimilation'? A newcomer to L.A. will learn to do L.A.'s weird traffic-speak as a matter of necessity, but if the newcomer moves somewhere else, he won't ever need that skill in another area. Our nation is a conglomeration of many micro-cultures, and each has it's own ways of social interaction.

An immigrant who is unwelcome on one area may find another, nearby, where it's a complete reverse. The term American has many, many meanings, not just a few. We are more complicated than we realize in all respects.

Those complications can make assimilation very easy or very hard, or anywhere in the middle between the extremes. It is not a single picture here- it's like walking into a huge gallery full of very different pictures.

There is one universal- humans are adaptable. Assimilation for almost all WILL happen successfully. Our diversity guarantees that.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:48 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Quite true. I'm in an area where May 5 is more important than July 4.
It's Texas... a state that was part of Mexico....

Old 07-18-2015, 11:50 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're talking about a time when immigration was diversified. Immigration is not diversified today for the most part. Most immigrants coming here today both legally and illegally are mostly from one lingual, cultural, ethnic group. That makes assimilation harder and leads to colonization instead.
First of all, did you take the time to read the dates associated with those quotes? The first is the 1750's and the last was from 1924! The U.S. experienced waves of immigration that constituted very different eras and were comprised of very specific ethnic groups a particular points in time.

As for your send point... seriously?

There are 68 indigenous languages spoken in Mexico alone, much less the disparate languages, cultures and ethnicities that are apart of the migrating people who come from the rest of South and Central America.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:51 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
Quote:
If a bank wants to operate in Chinese, it's perfectly fine for them to converse in Chinese. Whatever works for them. We don't mandate a language in the United States.

Most public schools (almost all) will only teach core classes in English. If a student doesn't know English, they are required to learn it.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
It's Texas... a state that was part of Mexico....
For a period of 15 years and Independent from Mexico for almost 200 years. Texas has been a US possession longer now than it was a French, Spanish and then briefly a Mexican possession and an independent republic combined. Most of the Mexicans the few that were there were ran out or left Texas long ago and snuck back in more recently after Europeans built it into something. That's not why Texas is like that. You didn't use to hear much Spanish being spoken in Texas just 30 or so years ago. How long have you been in Texas? You should know better than the yarn you spin. I'm sick of liberal lies and revisionist history.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:31 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,756,963 times
some do, some don't. same as always. I don't have a problem with people who want to come here and not assimilate to our culture. I have a problem with people who want me to assimilate to theirs. you can order in spanish all you want, but if I don't understand you, TS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies