Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:40 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,261,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Nobody seems to want to talk about the actual political situation between Sweden and Russia.

Why would Swedes--after having avoided actual NATO membership through the entire Cold War--be talking about joining NATO now? Just for the chips and cold sodas?

A problem I see is that Russians appear unable not to behave like Russians even when it's completely unnecessary. Why are the Russians buzzing Sweden? What's up with that?
You hit the nail on the head.

Sweden has been a neutral nation for 200 years. Sweden even managed to stay neutral in both WW1 and WW2 with dictators like Hitler and Stalin on the prowl.

But now the Russians have been flying bombers near Swedish airspace and been sending submarines into Swedish waters. So now the Swedes feel threatened enough by the Russians that they would even consider joining NATO shows how inept Russian foreign policy has been, in Europe anyway.

Why drive neutral nations into the ranks of your possible opponents? It makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 06:02 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

Sweden has been a neutral nation for 200 years. Sweden even managed to stay neutral in both WW1 and WW2 with dictators like Hitler and Stalin on the prowl.

But now the Russians have been flying bombers near Swedish airspace and been sending submarines into Swedish waters. So now the Swedes feel threatened enough by the Russians that they would even consider joining NATO shows how inept Russian foreign policy has been, in Europe anyway.

Why drive neutral nations into the ranks of your possible opponents? It makes no sense.
Now, this is something to ask. Why is Russia's military going into Swedish airspace and Swedish waters? What does Putin want from Sweden that Russia doesn't have? Russia is already the largest country in the world, has alot of fertile land, and warm water ports on the Black Sea.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:11 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Now, this is something to ask. Why is Russia's military going into Swedish airspace and Swedish waters? What does Putin want from Sweden that Russia doesn't have? Russia is already the largest country in the world, has alot of fertile land, and warm water ports on the Black Sea.
Probably because Putin's trying to deflect the Russian people's attention from their country's REAL problems.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:50 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That was 20 years ago. When the Poles welcome German troops with open arms, it may be time for Russia to do some soul-searching.

Again quite simple. Germany has a good economy. Polish German animosity was quite limited to WWII where they were well accustomed to Austrian rule. Poland too, relatively speaking, has a good economy because they were given direct financial assistance instead loans unlike the rest of Eastern Europe. As the first break, like the first to sell out their water rights, they got the sweet heart deal. If I mentioned Greece , Spain or Turkey then the EU looks to be soul searching. Though I would say Germany has been very wise to keep its FIRE sector at bay unlike the PIIGS.

So again I can in no way agree. Russia was put into a no win situation. The typical Westerner is quite ignorant of the ethnic tension of Russia's border. While I am sure Russia takes the best advantage of it, their traditional allies Ossentians Abkasians and Eastern Ukrainians were looking to be ethnically cleansed. So Russia had to make a painful choice which has made them an easy target for the press calling them invaders while actually on the ground the minorities actually want them. Armenia also if it were nto for the recent maniac who murdered 7 people. I find it odd how right on Russia's border that these "Sovereign nations" are not national security threats but Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan is as US security threat, and so much that the US can even waltz into and fly drones in Pakistan. Were I Russian I would not get it either. Even Israel can at least make the case Gaza is on its border.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:

What I would ask is why you accept so called neutrality? Sweden is not a signatory of the NATO alliance. Other than that, well before Russia became the pariah, Sweden has been in very cozy with NATO.

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/news_104086.htm

Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What I would ask is why you accept so called neutrality? Sweden is not a signatory of the NATO alliance. Other than that, well before Russia became the pariah, Sweden has been in very cozy with NATO.

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/news_104086.htm
I'm thinking Sweden doesn't want to get involved with conflicts. Other than that, this is what I see. Putin is trying to do a land grab. I really don't think NATO is trying to invade Russia. What I'm seeing is a fear from other nations about the possibility of being invaded by Putin's forces. It's happened in Ukraine so there is a fear of it happening elsewhere.

I'm not interested in seeing Russia becoming a pariah. I just want to see Russia leave other nations alone.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So funny to hear Americans get upset when one country bullies another.
Yep, talk about hypocrisy.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking Sweden doesn't want to get involved with conflicts. Other than that, this is what I see. Putin is trying to do a land grab. I really don't think NATO is trying to invade Russia. What I'm seeing is a fear from other nations about the possibility of being invaded by Putin's forces. It's happened in Ukraine so there is a fear of it happening elsewhere.

I'm not interested in seeing Russia becoming a pariah. I just want to see Russia leave other nations alone.
Russia might be trying for a land grab for all I know. However it has by far a much more legitimate excuse then say Israel , or for that matter the US and its privatization schemes to allow its multinational corporations to co-op the national wealth in everything but name only.

In a word, I just don't get the rabid hypocrisy. .

Georgia involves these people if with Russian support:

The Stalin-Beria Terror in Abkhazia, 1936-1953, by Stephen D. Shenfield

and these people:

Georgia and South Ossetia

In recent times Georgia ended up with a nationalist leader who predictably sparked the revolt by declaring Georgian to be the official language etc.

jam these people together?

And again here:

One Year After Russia Annexed Crimea, Locals Prefer Moscow To Kiev - Forbes

This "land grab" was approved by the locals while the West seems to have nothing but "international law" behind it which is violates all the time. The other laughable attempt is to suggest that Crimea was russified recently(wrong) and at expense of the natives without bothering to mention that it was the staging ground for the slave trade of the Crimean Khanate in a pretty twisted form of nostalgia along the line of shedding tears for Comancheria who were not exactly living like the natives.

It was again ignited by a brief but costly attempt to suppress Russian speaking:

Watch Your Tongue: Language Controversy One Of Fundamental Conflicts In Ukraine
Immediately after the removal of President Viktor Yanukovych from power on Feb. 22, the Ukrainian Parliament repealed a controversial law passed in 2012 that allowed the use of "regional languages" – including Russian, Hungarian, Romanian and Tatar

And then after the Odessa incident what could one suspect?

About the only place I can think of were Russians are where they are not wanted is in Chechnya. And despite the fact that the Russian public was against the war the West secured its favourite Yeltsin who prosecuted the war.

In Yeltsin vs. Parliament, the Likely Loser Is Russia - latimes

One rule to follow is bad states are always made after the end of an empire like Yugoslavia after the Harrisburg or Iraq after the Ottomans. And never try to make administrative districts into a country on that basis alone.

You honestly think these people could or would trust American moral support for multiculturalism?

Old 07-22-2015, 01:51 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Russia might be trying for a land grab for all I know. However it has by far a much more legitimate excuse then say Israel , or for that matter the US and its privatization schemes to allow its multinational corporations to co-op the national wealth in everything but name only.

In a word, I just don't get the rabid hypocrisy. .

Georgia involves these people if with Russian support:

The Stalin-Beria Terror in Abkhazia, 1936-1953, by Stephen D. Shenfield

and these people:

Georgia and South Ossetia

In recent times Georgia ended up with a nationalist leader who predictably sparked the revolt by declaring Georgian to be the official language etc.

jam these people together?

And again here:

One Year After Russia Annexed Crimea, Locals Prefer Moscow To Kiev - Forbes

This "land grab" was approved by the locals while the West seems to have nothing but "international law" behind it which is violates all the time. The other laughable attempt is to suggest that Crimea was russified recently(wrong) and at expense of the natives without bothering to mention that it was the staging ground for the slave trade of the Crimean Khanate in a pretty twisted form of nostalgia along the line of shedding tears for Comancheria who were not exactly living like the natives.

It was again ignited by a brief but costly attempt to suppress Russian speaking:

Watch Your Tongue: Language Controversy One Of Fundamental Conflicts In Ukraine
Immediately after the removal of President Viktor Yanukovych from power on Feb. 22, the Ukrainian Parliament repealed a controversial law passed in 2012 that allowed the use of "regional languages" – including Russian, Hungarian, Romanian and Tatar

And then after the Odessa incident what could one suspect?

About the only place I can think of were Russians are where they are not wanted is in Chechnya. And despite the fact that the Russian public was against the war the West secured its favourite Yeltsin who prosecuted the war.

In Yeltsin vs. Parliament, the Likely Loser Is Russia - latimes

One rule to follow is bad states are always made after the end of an empire like Yugoslavia after the Harrisburg or Iraq after the Ottomans. And never try to make administrative districts into a country on that basis alone.

You honestly think these people could or would trust American moral support for multiculturalism?
Going after the Crimea is 1 thing because it WAS "Russian" till about 60 years ago. Trying to go after Sweden WOULD be a huge mistake and it might wind up hurting Russia because way too many toes would be stepped on. Like I've said in the past: except for nukes; Russia is nothing in 2015.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:17 PM

847 posts, read 767,401 times
As Negotiations Over East Germany reunification with West Germany was going on.

The United State Promised the Soviet Union that Nato will not be expanded
to the east of Germany.

But we have ignore that promise. Not Even Poland is now Nato Member but a whole lot of smaller countries to the east of poland are Nato Members.

But We never find our Media talking about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies