Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:33 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Last time I checked NATO expansion of the last 25 years happened without Russian saber-rattling.
Ask the Baltic states about that. They might disagree...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 11:47 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Last time I checked NATO expansion of the last 25 years happened without Russian saber-rattling.

Promises were made to Russia and promises were broken.

NATO's Eastward Expansion: Did the West Break Its Promise to Moscow? - SPIEGEL ONLINE
Verbal promises were made to the Soviet Union, which then went on to break down on its own. If Russia, who emerged as a coherent nation years later, now say they should be able to make decisions having to do with Poland's national security, I'd say that's the best imaginable reason for Poland to join NATO.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:14 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Interesting thread considering many of the comments are from people who:

* have never been to Russia
* don't know any Russians
* don't know anything about Russia
* haven't bothered to move beyond the post Soviet 90s

Russia is a vast country that, by comparison to the US, has few densely urbanized areas. Its the dacha of Europe or empty space of Northern Asia.

Once one accounts for the huge state of the more Wild Wild West Asiatic Russia and binge drinking, crime is not so much an issue other than corruption. Worry about dying in traffic since they are only about 15 years into a culture that knows how to drive. You can believe some of the dash cam footage. They have I am glad to say added many new drunk driving laws just recently.

Crime Comparison Between Chicago, IL, United States And Saint Petersburg, Russia. Safety Comparison.

Crime Comparison Between Moscow, Russia And New York, NY, United States. Safety Comparison.

As to the birthrate compared to Europe and White America , its actually higher. So if its a struggle of the United States vs Russia , only Latin America will be around to celebrate.

And that "economy in shambles", I was jut in the Urals and I saw a booming economy, counting a lot of construction cranes in operation. Was I not supposed to?

And my Finish friends near St Petersburg tell me that relations are quite normalized with wealthy Russians shopping in Finland for the assurances of quality goods and Fins looking for bargains in Russia. It is well understood by many Fins that joining NATO would require Russia to deploy forces near their border.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:15 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ask the Baltic states about that. They might disagree...
Just ask Sweden itself:

Swedes Find Definitive Evidence of Submarine, Russians Call Them Unmanly | Foreign Policy

It's been going on for years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedis...rine_incidents

Old 07-21-2015, 12:33 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times

What is it exactly that you are trying to say?

However, later evidence points towards that most intrusions were done by NATO countries, possibly in a deception operation.[1]

Old 07-21-2015, 12:40 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Absolutely reasonable by the Russians. America would do the same if Canada or Mexico would join a military alliance led by China or Russia.
Yes...how did we react to little old Cuba?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:41 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Maybe this is an opportunity for Russia to do some soul-searching, some inwards reflections to figure out why so many of their closest neighbors ran screaming towards its biggest rival and how they can stop pissing off the few neighbors that they haven't yet completely alienated.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:47 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
If there is ever World War III between Russia vs. the West, my prediction is that you will see the GOP tea party base align themselves with their hero Adolf Putin....

....all because they saw him naked riding a horse.

Go figure.
Just a weird post...

Old 07-21-2015, 12:47 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh for cripes's sake. Look at a map. Unless you're going to postulate a seaborne invasion across the Baltic that would make D-day look like a cakewalk, Russia would have to either go though Finland (and I don't think even Putin is itching for that rematch) or long-standing NATO member Norway, in both cases through some of the world's unfriendliest terrain.

Yeah, it worked out so badly for Russia the last time that they still hold a big chunk of what was once Finland to this very day.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:06 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What is it exactly that you are trying to say?

However, later evidence points towards that most intrusions were done by NATO countries, possibly in a deception operation.[1]
I was clear enough with my links while you on the other hand; instead of posting links to that "later evidence", post the generic description of NATO and a definition of what constitutes a False Flag operation?

Just what is it you are trying to say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies