Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 07:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The cost for drugs is in the R&D, not the production. Not to mention paying for the R&D for all the drugs that failed.

If American went to uhc, world wide medical research would stagnate. All those countries that force lower prices would no longer be on the innovation gravy train that Americans pay for through higher costs to support R&D.
IMO its better to provide a good quality of life for X years than trying to extend it well past a person's useful expectancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Didn't bother with the link, but since the fedguv is broke, who does Sanders plan on stealing from to fund this pipe dream?
Look at the cost of universal health care systems which every other civilized country in the world has, and how radically cheaper they are to run than the incredibly inefficient, bloated and corrupt privatized system in America. That's the cost of being beholden to corporations. We need politicians that do not take bribe money from the industry and address the need of the people!

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As I note in my first post...we could start with the trillions we waste on the wars and foriegn aid.
I suppose they could, but we'll all be dead before that happens.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:50 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Look at the cost of universal health care systems which every other civilized country in the world has, and how radically cheaper they are to run than the incredibly inefficient, bloated and corrupt privatized system in America. That's the cost of being beholden to corporations. We need politicians that do not take bribe money from the industry and address the need of the people!
you seem to be under the mistaken impression that our health care system operates in a free market.
FWIW the SSA has announced the Disabilty Insurance Trust Fund is scheduled to go broke in 2016 and the Federal Highway Trust Fund is insolvent as we speak. You actually want the fedguv involved with healthcare more than it already is?
We are not Sweden.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
While the rhetoric is stirring, it has very little to do with reality. First, research and development (R&D) is a relatively small part of the budgets of the big drug companies—dwarfed by their vast expenditures on marketing and administration, and smaller even than profits. In fact, year after year, for over two decades, this industry has been far and away the most profitable in the United States. (In 2003, for the first time, the industry lost its first-place position, coming in third, behind “mining, crude oil production,” and “commercial banks.”) The prices drug companies charge have little relationship to the costs of making the drugs and could be cut dramatically without coming anywhere close to threatening R&D.
The Truth About the Drug Companies by Marcia Angell | The New York Review of Books

Old 07-31-2015, 07:54 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
IMO its better to provide a good quality of life for X years than trying to extend it well past a person's useful expectancy.
I'll remind you of this post when get past your sell by date.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I'll remind you of this post when get past your sell by date.
Its not about me is it?

Old 07-31-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
you seem to be under the mistaken impression that our health care system operates in a free market.
FWIW the SSA has announced the Disabilty Insurance Trust Fund is scheduled to go broke in 2016 and the highway fund is insolvent as we speak. You actually want the fedguv involved with healthcare more than it already is?
We are not Sweden.
Sweden uses 9.4% of GDP on their universal health care system and they live longer. America almost 18%.

I dont know, but to me it seems like social democratic Sweden is far more efficient than what we see in America.

Social Security can be secured and massively expanded by lifting the cap on income subject to payroll tax, so everyone pays the same rate on all of their income.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Sweden uses 9.4% of GDP on their universal health care system and they live longer. America almost 18%.

I dont know, but to me it seems like social democratic Sweden is far more efficient than what we see in America.

Social Security can be secured and massively expanded by lifting the cap on income subject to payroll tax, so everyone pays the same rate on all of their income.
I support universal health care but I still have to note....your numbers don't begin to tell the whole story. Sweden doesn't have large numbers of youths killing each other bringing the averages down.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:14 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,943 times
Quote:
The cost for drugs is in the R&D, not the production. Not to mention paying for the R&D for all the drugs that failed.

If American went to uhc, world wide medical research would stagnate. All those countries that force lower prices would no longer be on the innovation gravy train that Americans pay for through higher costs to support R&D.
Switzerland regulates their drug corporations and they have the #2 and #3 biggest drug corporations in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharma...in_Switzerland

The stuff you posted above is corporate propaganda from American drug corporations.

"Major U.S. drug companies and their Washington, D.C. lobby group, the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), have carried out a misleading campaign to scare policy makers and the public. PhRMA’s central claim is that the industry needs extraordinary profits to fund expensive, risky and innovative research and development (R&D) for new drugs."
Public Citizen

As the above source shows all the stuff you posted above is corporate propaganda.

Fox news, Rush radio, and republican politicians repeat things that these corporate groups say, its called the echo chamber.

Echo chamber - SourceWatch
Pew Survey: Conservatives Get Most News From Fox News and Local Radio | The New Republic
The Inner Secrets of the Right-Wing Echo Chamber | Alternet
Chart of the Day: The Power of the Right-Wing Echo Chamber | Mother Jones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies