Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 01:01 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Not that Britains system is something to aspire to but...
How many people are you comparing?
Their NHS (National Health Service) is highly popular among its people and highly efficient.

It's adjusted for population. So the American taxpayer pay $4300 in taxes to fund the current system, the British taxpayer pay $3700 to finance the UK medicare for all system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 01:13 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
More accurately, he advocates for middle class taxpayers to foot leeches' healthcare bills.
Thas is the problem I have with single payer. We got leeches that would never give their two cents into the pot.

I tell you what, why don't we extend Medicare to cover the entire nation?

My wife and I are over 65 and we both have medicare which is absolutely marvelous and I think we should extend it to everyone equally, right?

For those who think Medicare is free you're in for a real shocker.

A newly wed couple both 25 years old should have exactly what we have.

Him Her
$104.90 $104.90 = $209.80 Part B
$165,00 $165.00 = $330.00 Supplement
$ 28.00 $ 28.00 = $56.00 Pharmacy
$ 60.00 $ 60.00 = Dental (this would be voluntary
$357.90 $715.80 = Total Monthly Premium Payment for young couple

Of course you could whittle that down considerably to $595.80 if you do without dental but if you get a toothache it's all on you!

That is what my wife and I pay for our free Medicare every month. On top of this we continue to have Medicare Tax to pay for the system but and why not since I've been paying Medicare tax for near 50 years?

We could have the best system in the world but I would only like this if EVERYONE paid just like I am forced to pay you can as well. It's called your fair share and you should pay your fair share.

When I do collect social security my wife and I still have to come up with the $715.80 so why shouldn't you? Are you special or something? Think because your an artist you should get a freebee or something?

Old 08-01-2015, 01:26 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well I really can't understand why anyone wants our government involved in their healthcare when it can't run any scheme without bankrupting it, but to your point, these other countries pretty much have their defense need$ taken care of by us.
How much aid do the Israelis get from American taxpayers again?
Israel gets about 3% of it's budget from USA, and it goes back to USA, as Israel can buy weaponry only from USA with this funds. Also, Israeli defense needs are much higher than USA and they are not taken care by USA.
Currently the situation with the healthcare in USA is unacceptable, and I don't think that the government here is worst that the french or UK one.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:00 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
First off, you should move to Switzerland because it is so wonderful. Secondly, Switzerland fills a need for the world with their banking system but they have a population of 10 million and you can't support a population of 320 million on one industry. Thirdly, I checked OECD statistics and the USA has a capita income significantly higher at $41,355 versus Swiss $33,491 and USA per capita wealth is also much higher at $146K versus Swiss $108K. Fourthly, the USA has a very different demographic than anywhere in the world and what might work in Switzerland might not work in the USA. Yay for Switzerland but I have below zero desire to live there. However, I do agree their health system and that of most of Europe is better than what we have.
Do you deny that everyone in Switzerland has healthcare, that there are no welfare freeloaders, that they have a citizen militia, and they have government funded public gun ranges?

Do you deny the Swiss have higher economic freedom than America, have the #1 ranked competitive economy in the world, and they have lower national debt than America?

But you are not concerned about any of those things, and you don't want to have a conversation about how we can bring those things to America. Instead you want to ignore facts and spin the subject so you can push the Fox news/Rush radio corporate agenda.

And it appears my source about Switzerland's median household income was from 2007. And in 2015 sources on Switzerland concerning median household income are hard to find.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switze...and_labour_law

But in the Quality of Life Index by Country for 2015 Switzerland is #1 and America is #10.
Quality of Life Index by Country 2015 Mid Year

In the list of countries by Human Development Index Switzerland is #3 and America is #5.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index

And Switzerland is also ranked as the #1 happiest country in the world while America is ranked #15.
New world happiness report 2015 - Business Insider

And I don't want to move to Switzerland instead I would like to have a conversation about improving America. But clearly I will not be having that conversation with you.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:36 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The cost for drugs is in the R&D, not the production. Not to mention paying for the R&D for all the drugs that failed.

If American went to uhc, world wide medical research would stagnate. All those countries that force lower prices would no longer be on the innovation gravy train that Americans pay for through higher costs to support R&D.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:50 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The cost for drugs is in the R&D, not the production. Not to mention paying for the R&D for all the drugs that failed.

If American went to uhc, world wide medical research would stagnate. All those countries that force lower prices would no longer be on the innovation gravy train that Americans pay for through higher costs to support R&D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo.
Yup.

A lot of people who say, government healthcare programs are cheaper in other countries, therefore they would be cheaper here forget that the rest of the world free-rides off of America in medical R&D in general and in pharmaceuticals in particular. In part, it's so expensive here directly because it's so cheap there and vice-versa.

This is something that we should be addressing through legislation, but there are steps (if you sell it to a foreign government for X, you must sell it to our government programs for no more than X */+ Y or you lose your patent; legalized re-importation for private sector use; and so forth) that we can and should be taking which would be much more effective and narrowly targeted than trying to proverbially swat a fly with a bazooka.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So the American taxpayer pay $4300 in taxes to fund the current system, the British taxpayer pay $3700 to finance the UK medicare for all system.
um, half the USA doesnt pay a DIME...

Old 08-01-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
um, half the USA doesnt pay a DIME...
We're talking about tax revenue per person. The US spend more tax payer money on health care than countries with single payer universal health care.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Yup.

A lot of people who say, government healthcare programs are cheaper in other countries, therefore they would be cheaper here forget that the rest of the world free-rides off of America in medical R&D in general and in pharmaceuticals in particular. In part, it's so expensive here directly because it's so cheap there and vice-versa.

This is something that we should be addressing through legislation, but there are steps (if you sell it to a foreign government for X, you must sell it to our government programs for no more than X */+ Y or you lose your patent; legalized re-importation for private sector use; and so forth) that we can and should be taking which would be much more effective and narrowly targeted than trying to proverbially swat a fly with a bazooka.
It's not really the reality though.

Quote:
Research and development (R&D) is a relatively small part of the budgets of the big drug companies—dwarfed by their vast expenditures on marketing and administration, and smaller even than profits. In fact, year after year, for over two decades, this industry has been far and away the most profitable in the United States. (In 2003, for the first time, the industry lost its first-place position, coming in third, behind “mining, crude oil production,” and “commercial banks.”) The prices drug companies charge have little relationship to the costs of making the drugs and could be cut dramatically without coming anywhere close to threatening R&D.
The Truth About the Drug Companies by Marcia Angell | The New York Review of Books

Old 08-01-2015, 05:50 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The pharmaceutical corporations put out messages to scare the public and get them to fight for more drug corporation profits. And these republicans repeat their corporate propaganda phrases like trained parrots.

Public Citizen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies