Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 07:09 PM

589 posts, read 696,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyStoner View Post
It seems like so many men have lost their motivation to compete for success in modern society. I see so many guys who are in their lates 20s or early 30s and do nothing besides hold a mediocre job and play video games and watch sports. And of course, they are then unsuitable mates for women and so that further compounds their depression and need to tune out of society.

Anyone else noticing this?
What is "success"? Everyone defines it differently. Personally, I think people should seek being content with their lives instead of chasing the almighty dollar. If someone is content with a mediocre job and playing video games and sports then more power to them.

And where do you get the idea that they're depressed and single because of living like they do? I never see a shortage of couples. Women don't seem to think today's men are unsuitable because they keep dating them, even if they complain about them.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:21 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post

. If someone is content with a mediocre job and playing video games and sports then more power to them.
assuming they do not rely on any gov't aid or the charity of others, that is their business.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:12 PM

37 posts, read 53,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I think what you're noticing is actually the consequence of adding primarily low-paying jobs since the recent recession, and, to a lesser extent, agism being practiced by some members of previous generations who are terrified of more savvy and/or hardworking youngsters presenting an obstacle to their otherwise slothful deceleration into retirement.

Secondly, your 'unsuitable mates' comment carries the scent of either ignorance or envy. Moreover, the only "women" the guys you describe aren't attracting (like most every other group of males, by the way,) are the women who are doomed to an age-based reality check when their aging figures are no longer found desirable by high-earning males that have little taste for anything other than a moist hole and borderline slavish obedience. This is often of little consequence, anyway, to the aforementioned type of women, whose most daunting daily tasks are otherwise limited to carrying shopping bags and remembering to wash their face after the not-so-happy (for them) ending.

Just my opinion.
Interesting lol

Old 08-08-2015, 09:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Most of the new jobs gotten this month were in the 55 and over crowd.
They don't seem to have a problem finding jobs.
Got to admit it..the boomers aren't slackers and employers know that.
Maybe because someone has to pay the bills while the boys slack off and enjoy a prolonged childhood.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Home in my neck of the woods start at around $500k.

They are being bought by 25-35 year olds with babies and tots.
Most of the women are highly educated and professionals who are taking time out to raise a family. These mostly not dual generally income households.

No shortage of MDs, lawyers and people engaged in healthcare systems/ technology.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:51 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Single moms need a companion, so support their eternally adolescent sons.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:56 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyStoner View Post
It seems like so many men have lost their motivation to compete for success in modern society. I see so many guys who are in their lates 20s or early 30s and do nothing besides hold a mediocre job and play video games and watch sports. And of course, they are then unsuitable mates for women and so that further compounds their depression and need to tune out of society.

Anyone else noticing this?
Sounds like they aren't lonely stoners, after all.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:18 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I worked for a fortune 500 company before retiring. For years I watched brilliant young engineers get bypassed for promotions while the company fast-tracked recent college grads with no experience. Most of those fast-tracked were minorities, (mainly black), and mostly female. It is easy to understand why many of these engineers came to have little motivation and no loyalty to the company.
I've seen precisely the same thing at the fortune 500 company I work for.

But frankly I don't care a whole lot. I spent my formative years as a mechanic. The way I see it, as an engineer I'm making twice what I made as a mechanic... while sitting in the air conditioning clicking a mouse. I love my little soulless gray cubicle!

People are gonna do what they're gonna do. And it doesn't have to make sense.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
The biggest rise in employment is by the 55 and over crowd.
The biggest drop is 25-54 crowd..prime working years.

The boomers aren't the biggest generation anymore. The millennials are now the biggest generation.
And they are in their prime working years. Or they are supposed to be.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:43 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The biggest rise in employment is by the 55 and over crowd.
The biggest drop is 25-54 crowd..prime working years.

The boomers aren't the biggest generation anymore. The millennials are now the biggest generation.
And they are in their prime working years. Or they are supposed to be.
BARELY. The oldest Millennials are about 35 years old. The youngest are (depending on who you ask) about 15 year old. So we've got a little time yet before the Millennials REALLY get into their prime spending years.

And this is why I'm optimistic about the economy long-term (not short-term). Look at how it went when the oldest baby-boomers hit 35 (roughly 1980). A couple more years and the economy took off... and stayed strong for nearly 20 years with only a minor hiccup in the late 80's/early 90's.

We're due for that again. With the recent crash in commodities (particularly oil), I think we're due for a stock market correction AND a minor recession analogous to that one that started around 1987-ish. But after that? Smoooooth sailing with a DOW over 25,000!

it's gonna happen. And I'm gonna cash in. It ain't everybody who can see the future. But a little tequila and I'll tell you what's gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies