Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:58 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,152 times

Advertisements

I'm 26 with a decent job, planning on working my way up a bit, but I'm pretty content. I'm not in a relationship and I'm not planning on getting married for awhile. I wouldn't call that dropping out of society.

I'm on the fence about marriage and kids because I feel like I'm just entering my prime. I feel like the quality of girls I attract goes up every year, and I'm also busy doing other things with my life. I'm assuming by my early to mid 30's I'll find someone to settle down with and have kids, but if not I'm totally fine with that.

Option A: All the positives and negatives of having a family, being able to raise good kids which hopefully benefits the world

Option B: Freedom to do what I want, more money to spend, more time, less responsibility and stress, and it's not like I can't still meet new women...

I'll find the positives either way.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyStoner View Post
It seems like so many men have lost their motivation to compete for success in modern society. I see so many guys who are in their late 20s or early 30s and do nothing besides hold a mediocre job and play video games and watch sports. And of course, they are then unsuitable mates for women and so that further compounds their depression and need to tune out of society.

Anyone else noticing this?
Actually, women these days demand guys that are just oozing all over with sex appeal, meaning having a real cute face with puppy dog bedroom eyes, along with a good muscled build. The guys you describe simply lack the sex appeal in much demand with the ladies. Having a good sense of humor is of some importance, which many of those type guys sadly lack. A typical woman would rather live alone than try to tolerate living with a guy with no sex appeal. Am I RIGHT, ladies??

Old 08-10-2015, 12:34 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Why would an American male want to get married?
Or anywhere in the world...

Old 08-10-2015, 01:38 AM

906 posts, read 712,477 times
Because I think men are tired of the bs

Old 08-10-2015, 02:54 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
When liberals want to punish the successful, I guess you should expect fewer successful people.
Exactly. What's being described in this thread are young men choosing to NOT be tax slaves.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:03 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
You know it's kinda weird, like they are shrugging or something.
Great reference. My thoughts exactly.

And who can blame them?

Old 08-10-2015, 03:57 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
The thing that is so amazing to me is....that women had it so much better BEFORE women's liberation.

I know.

I saw what was going on before and after that hideous change in our culture.

First, women always "wore the pants" in American society.

They were in charge.

For every Abner, there was a Gladys Kravitz.

Their husbands were worker drones on their way to that stress-induced heart attack that would finish them off, while their wives filled their calendars with ladies luncheons, spent three hours a week at the hair salon, etc.

Sure, the wives had to deal with raising brats, but if their hubbies amounted to anything, then that drudgery could be off-loaded onto other people.

Eventually, hubby would die of a heart attack, and then all of his money would go to the wife.

Or there might be a divorce, and then hubby would move into a dreadful little apartment and the Judge would generously allow him to live in $20 a week while his wife got alimony and child support.

This isn't ancient history, by the way.

I remember when I worked for United Airlines in the '90s and some union bigwig dragged me (unwilling) to the union headquarters to get me to vote.

The parking lot was full of cheap campers.

I asked what they were doing there. He said they were all airline mechanics whose wives had divorced them, so they were living in the parking lot. They were trying to decide whether to remove the port-a-potty.

Anyway, women in those pre-women's lib days lived longer than men, so if their hubbies made the big money, they would ultimately get it.

Now look at what we have.

BOTH parents have to work just to live a middle class lifestyle, and they still have to manage to do all the homemaking and child-raising stuff.

The kids are latchkey kids, so you know they're all going to be basket cases and drug addicts in the end.

Furthermore....women's lib was the best thing ever to happen to employers.

You get twice as many workers for the same price. In "Leave It To Beaver" days, hubby could support a family on one salary. Those days are long gone.

Not to mention that women's lib was the worst thing that could have happened to single people -- who now have to compete with households that have two incomes.

Last edited by dechatelet; 08-10-2015 at 04:09 AM..

Old 08-10-2015, 07:40 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
No one has provided the obvious answer to "why are young men dropping out of society?" Simple: For the first time, they can.

Parents are no longer demanding that young men get married NOW and become a "bread winner" and have a bunch of brats themselves. There is no major war requiring men to be drafted, and the economy is good enough for people to survive alone.

I have another question: why are young women not in the kitchen? Answer: society has gotten over that expectation.

It is gender roles going away. Just as women no longer have to be mother's raising kids and cooking but can choose to have a career, young men no longer have to be "breadwinners" chained to a desk or assembly line but can choose their own paths.

I personally work in a restaurant, but I am a manager, and have no interest in having a family, a wife, or a house. I will continue to work at a restaurant, smoke weed, and play video games broken only by occasionally dating for as long as I can. Why? Because I choose to.

And who cares? We are not a burden on society, we are not on welfare, not hurting anyone or anything. Saying "young men belong with wives and real jobs!" is like saying "young women belong in the kitchen."

The older generation are just jealous that we don't have to get married to women who will become fat nags and we don't have to work nine-to-fives. I say to "boomers", in the words of my generation:
This might be the saddest thing I have ever read.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:42 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyStoner View Post
It seems like so many men have lost their motivation to compete for success in modern society. I see so many guys who are in their lates 20s or early 30s and do nothing besides hold a mediocre job and play video games and watch sports. And of course, they are then unsuitable mates for women and so that further compounds their depression and need to tune out of society.

Anyone else noticing this?

Why are so many men "dropping out of society"?

Because our wives run society and do a better job than we do.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why are so many men "dropping out of society"?

Because it's so safe and cozy in the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies