Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 01:30 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Do a lot of these countries have ghetto drug wars that are responsible for up to 70% of the homicides?
Yes, except their ghetto gangsters don't have access to guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 01:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Really? You are comparing America with Mexico, Venezuela, Jamaica and Honduras. As a first world nation we should be comparing ourselves to other first world nations.

Homicides by firearm in a year:

The UK: 41

Sweden: 37

Germany: 158

Japan: 11

France: 35

Australia: 30

The United States: 9,146

Source: Gun homicides and gun ownership listed by country | News | The Guardian
compare population levels as well. you can bet that germany does not have 300,000,000 people in their country for instance.

Quote:
Yes, except their ghetto gangsters don't have access to guns.
really? then why does venezuala for instance have so many GUN MURDERS?

and by the way, you completely missed my point. and that was that the US has 300,000,000 million people, and has 88 guns per 100 people, and yet we have only 9000 or so gun homicides. a rate of about 3 per 100,000 population. and dont forget that the countries i listed have tougher gun laws than the US does, so that kind of kills your whole gun laws work bull crap.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:47 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I would find a firearm good for shooting out the tires of their getaway vehicle... and then the police would also have their fingerprints...
Check your local laws because 99% of the time that is illegal and irresponsible. It violates rule 4.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:53 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I would find a firearm good for shooting out the tires of their getaway vehicle... and then the police would also have their fingerprints...
What couple possibly go wrong when you shoot from one moving vehicle at another moving vehicle.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:55 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
My grandfather owned several hundred acres of gazing land in Idaho in a very remote place, real "God's country" type of environment. During the entire course of his life he only owned 1 gun, a 1902 Springfield. Of which he rarely actually needed to use. To him a rifle was a tool, like a hammer or shove. I don't know where this whole growing up on a farm = guns culture came from but it wasn't that way back in the day.
Well, a gun IS a tool. Like a shovel or axe. I grew up on a ranch, here in NV. We had more than one gun. We NEEDED to use them quite a bit, and also shot for fun and kept the freezer stocked. Predators were a constant issue. Coyotes, feral dogs, and mountain lions. We never got on a horse or in the truck without a gun. Usually two. A rifle and a shotgun. A common practice for every other place neighboring us as well. My Dads Saddle rifle was a 94 Winchester. 30 30. When I was along I usually carried a shotgun or 22. I use a Marlin 94 in 45 Colt now.

So, as you see, we are and have been vastly different from your Grandfather, though that old Springfield he had would hardly leave one defenseless before ones enemies. Good rifles. Lot of them still in service. If a guy is going to have just one gun, that's not a bad choice, at all.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:08 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Opinion articles from biased sources mean nothing.

I can do that to..... TEN MYTHS ABOUT GUN CONTROL

Lets try playing with facts.... Here is 660 pages of instances of successful defensive gun uses. All with citations to the local stories.
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Okay, I looked at one of those links and think it's complete and totally unsubstantiated by solid facts. I stopped there.
You seem to be bouncing back and forth on two topics, " banning guns and things will be good " and when we've proven you wrong on that one you jump to the "having a gun doesn't make you safer" which again we've proven you wrong. The only thing I will say on the later is carrying a firearm isn't like donning Tony Stark's Iron man suit, you aren't invincible. What it does is make you prepared. How prepared is up to how much each individual wants to train. Some never use the gun again after they get their CPL...these types , sadly will be a statistic. So common sense has to be used , and from some of these replies I see our society is lacking immensly on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
why not try some REAL statistics here, instead of the crap you have posted. granted the stats in this article are from 2007, but they are still relevant today;

Gun homicides and gun ownership listed by country | News | The Guardian

note a few stats here;

mexico had 11,309 homicides by firearm in 2007, while having a population of 15,500,000
the phillipines had 7,349 homcides by firearm in 2007, while having a population of 3,900,000
south africa had 8,319 homicides by firearm in 2007, while having a population of 5,950,000
the US had 9,146 homicides by firearm in 2007, while having a population of 270,000,000
venezuela had 11,150 homicides by firearm in 2007, while having a population of 2,850,000
jamaica had 1080 homicides by firearm in 2007, while having a population of 215,000
honduras had 5201 homcides by firearm in 2007, while having a population of 500,000
guatamala had 5009 homicides by firearm in 2007 while having a population of 1,650,000

so given those statistics, and given that the US has 88 firearms per 100 people, can you tell me wich countries truly have a problem with murders by firearm? i can tell you the US ranks about 28th in the world.

I wouldn't exactly label the "Economist" newspaper as biased crap! You guys mention that we, in fact, don't have a gun problem - we have a "crime" problem, or something along those lines. The problem with this reasoning is that other developed countries also have high crime rates, gang cultures, drug problems etc, but what they don't have are mass shootings, or 10,000 gun related homicides annually.

The countries listed above are not relative to the US. When compared to other developed countries the rate is astronomically higher in the US. Look, unless you can even acknowledge that there is a problem, this conversation will go around in circles. Writing off my links as "crap" is ridiculous. Surely you can see that there is some credibility to the articles? I guess not..

Old 08-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
compare population levels as well. you can bet that germany does not have 300,000,000 people in their country for instance.
The UK: 63 Million people, 41 deaths by firearm

Sweden: 10 Million people, 37 deaths by firearm

Germany: 80 Million people, 158 deaths by firearm

Japan: 128 Million people, 11 deaths by firearm

France: 67 Million people, 35 deaths by firearm

If we use the firearm homicide rate that we have in the US at 3.55 (year 2013) per 100,000 people. Germany for the size of its population should have 2,840 gun related homicides per year. As oppose to their 158. If the US had the same firearm homicide rate as Germany at 0.20 for a population of 300 million people we should only have 600 firearm related homicides per year.

Quote:
really? then why does venezuala for instance have so many GUN MURDERS?

and by the way, you completely missed my point. and that was that the US has 300,000,000 million people, and has 88 guns per 100 people, and yet we have only 9000 or so gun homicides. a rate of about 3 per 100,000 population. and dont forget that the countries i listed have tougher gun laws than the US does, so that kind of kills your whole gun laws work bull crap.
Venezuela is a corrupt, backward, third world nation. The fact that you are using them as a comparative example is an insult to America.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
The UK: 63 Million people, 41 deaths by firearm

Sweden: 10 Million people, 37 deaths by firearm

Germany: 80 Million people, 158 deaths by firearm

Japan: 128 Million people, 11 deaths by firearm

France: 67 Million people, 35 deaths by firearm

If we use the firearm homicide rate that we have in the US at 3.55 (year 2013) per 100,000 people. Germany for the size of its population should have 2,840 gun related homicides per year. As oppose to their 158. If the US had the same firearm homicide rate as Germany at 0.20 for a population of 300 million people we should only have 600 firearm related homicides per year.

Venezuela is a corrupt, backward, third world nation. The fact that you are using them as a comparative example is an insult to America.
If you want to compare crime rates then compare crime rates of all countries instead of cherry picking a few.

Not to mention each country records homocides differently so the comparison is suspect at best.

Finally, as an aside, one has to be very careful in making comparisons across countries because numbers are not always comparable. For example, homicides in England and Wales are not counted the same as in other countries. Their homicide numbers typically “exclude any cases which do not result in conviction, or where the person is not prosecuted on grounds of self defence or otherwise”
http://crimepreventionresearchcenter...oss-countries/

Crime in America doesn't come from guns, it comes from socioeconomic factors and culture. Blaiming guns is an easy scape goat for dealing with the real issues.

Not to mention the culturally homaguniois areas of Europe and Japan would foster lower crime rates in general.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, a gun IS a tool. Like a shovel or axe. I grew up on a ranch, here in NV. We had more than one gun. We NEEDED to use them quite a bit, and also shot for fun and kept the freezer stocked. Predators were a constant issue. Coyotes, feral dogs, and mountain lions. We never got on a horse or in the truck without a gun. Usually two. A rifle and a shotgun. A common practice for every other place neighboring us as well. My Dads Saddle rifle was a 94 Winchester. 30 30. When I was along I usually carried a shotgun or 22. I use a Marlin 94 in 45 Colt now.

So, as you see, we are and have been vastly different from your Grandfather, though that old Springfield he had would hardly leave one defenseless before ones enemies. Good rifles. Lot of them still in service. If a guy is going to have just one gun, that's not a bad choice, at all.
Coyotes, feral dogs, and mountain lions. All you need to deal with these animals is one decent rifle. But nobody has an issue with farmers owning shotguns or rifles. The issue is with people owning hardware that is designed specifically for human on human combat. Like Semi Auto handguns and AR-15's with a 30 round mags. Ranchers had guns back when but they didn't have "gun culture" as people do now. They didn't worship the gun.

I'm completely opposed to selling automatic rifles. I don't see any reason why they ever made semiautomatics. I've been a member of the NRA; I collect, make and shoot guns. I've never used an automatic or semiautomatic for hunting. There's no need to. They have no place in anybody's arsenal. If any SOB can't hit a deer with one shot, then he ought to quit shooting.

Barry Goldwater

Old 08-12-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Coyotes, feral dogs, and mountain lions. All you need to deal with these animals is one decent rifle. But nobody has an issue with farmers owning shotguns or rifles. The issue is with people owning hardware that is designed specifically for human on human combat. Like Semi Auto handguns and AR-15's with a 30 round mags. Ranchers had guns back when but they didn't have "gun culture" as people do now. They didn't worship the gun.

I'm completely opposed to selling automatic rifles. I don't see any reason why they ever made semiautomatics. I've been a member of the NRA; I collect, make and shoot guns. I've never used an automatic or semiautomatic for hunting. There's no need to. They have no place in anybody's arsenal. If any SOB can't hit a deer with one shot, then he ought to quit shooting.

Barry Goldwater
The shot guns and rifle you think are ok are all based on weapons that were designed specifically for combat at one time. You probably think phone calls are not protected by the 4th amendment because the founders could not have possibly known about cell phones.

I'm sorry you are against progress and better ergonomics. Why are you against certain types of weapons that are easier for women, seniors and people with disabilities to use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies