Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 07:43 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't food stamp like a Credit Card to be used on food at the Groceries? So why can't they buy fresh food and cook from scratch?

What on the rules does it say you can only buy Frozen Food? You make it sounds like Food Stamps can only be used at McDonalds?
Shoulda woulda coulda.

As I tried to explain it in the OP, foodstamp is free. There is one universal law of human nature, and that is people don't value free things the way they value non-free things.

My family immigrated to the US back in the early 90's. The 7 of us had exactly $10.00. My family was on foodstamps for the first 6 months and then my parents, despite working minimum wage jobs to support us kids, got off it.

Nowadays, sometimes I talk with them about it. The answer was always simple. There was no future in it and it was embarrassing as hell to use it.

Non-healthy, crappy foods are a lot cheaper than more healthy foods. It's simply too easy to fall down the rabbit hole of liking crappy foods and be completely content with it for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 07:47 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Two particular people are idiots, therefore everyone in the USA should lose food stamps. OK.

That is what the left says about gun control. A few mentally unstable idiots go on a rampage and they want to strip us all from our second amendment rights.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:50 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Gotta love the anecdotal anti-food stamp stories that always pop up on this forum.

Personally, I don't know a single person on food stamps. I've never seen anyone use them in a grocery store either. Do you know why? Because I don't pay attention to how other people I don't know are paying for their food. I mind my own business.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:50 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Let me understand this, you want to take away a program that helps millions of people, many children, based on a sample observation of one family?
I used to work for habitat for humanity. It's not just 1 family.

As I said before, I'm not against helping people. I am against reinforcing a degrading lifestyle that many people seem to be hooked on.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:54 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Whoa.........

Who doing away with food stamps would hurt farmers and store owners.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:58 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
they need to make food stamps just for fresh produce
sure thing! Lets look into lowering the cost of fresh food and why aren't the fed gov. subsidizing anything other than corn production. Healthy food costs more, and the money they get from food stamps is not enough to survive on if you do eat healthier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
A simple and effective way to fix the EBT problem would be to eliminate there use in any and all restaurants, also ban its use for certain products like soda, energy drinks, individual packages of snack foods.
Here in Maine our Govenor allowed a fed waiver to expire, thus requiring able bodied single persons on EBT to volunteer 20 hours a month. Some 1200 dropped off the roles almost overnight. You see a popular scam here in Maine and I am sure elsewhere is when you turn 18 go down to DHHS claim your homeless and get an EBT card, it's only a small amount $30 to $40 but it pays for your Redbull and ding dongs. Once they were required to put in 20 hours a month they walked away.

Bill
Those 20 hours you waste volunteering for frew could be better spent looking for work. I have a very close friend here in ny who was on welfare and rather than help her they did everything to get her some crap paying fast food job or retail job. Than they force you
To sit in a classrom for hours not doing anything but wasting time, time that could be spent looking for a job. All she wanted was an office job and all they would try and do is get her a security guard job standing and making nothing. Which btw if they find you a job they still force you to pay them the money back even though you have a job that you can barely survive on. That's also the least of it because if you want a metro card through them than the days you are off you have to go back and sit in that classroom all day. Rather than look for a better job and fyi she can't stand long because of bad knees.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:02 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Gotta love the anecdotal anti-food stamp stories that always pop up on this forum.

Personally, I don't know a single person on food stamps. I've never seen anyone use them in a grocery store either. Do you know why? Because I don't pay attention to how other people I don't know are paying for their food. I mind my own business.
It's hard not to notice when they hold up the line because they need one more gallon of milk for their wic check or when they are trying to figure up the best way to ring up things so they can maximize cash back.

Yeah keep your head in the sand and be a good compassionate libprog.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:22 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
Any give away program developed will result in abuse, especially those the give the irresponsible more liberty to do so.
Churches have tried to do soup kitchens and been shut down for it .
The public does not want them, even though it is a better form of feeding the poor.
More to the point,
If a person is receiving more in unemployment, than he would be making on a job, which do you think he is going to choose?
Work programs like the Civilian conservation corps worked well. and should be reinstated .
Bring back industry to the country would be a serious game changer and dumping NAFTA another great game changer .
The problem is, none of this fits with the game plan at hand , agenda 21.
Don't be lazy read it for your self , it's no secret .

Old 08-30-2015, 08:23 AM

840 posts, read 1,120,725 times
The problem I have with social services is lack of oversight and the fact that some people abuse the system.

None of you realized the other problem with a family being on food stamps. The parent(s) are teaching their children to rely on the government. These kids don't see their parent(s) going to work, bringing home a paycheck. They grow up with the same attitude as the parent.

I would imagine in a number of lower class families kids are not being taught good values as you work for a living, you stay out of trouble - no shoplifting, no B&E, no criminal activity. Kids are a product of their parents and they learn these behaviors from them.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:41 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Food stamps can't be used for fast food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies