Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:08 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Before you have your knee jerk reaction, no I am not a right wing nutjob. I absolutely do not mind paying to have social safety nets to catch people when they fall. So, please hear me out before you put me together with the right wing bigots.

I have been dealing with my boyfriend's family for a number of years. I've written about them here, so you can read the thread at this link...

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-were-out.html

They are a puzzle to me.

Let's focus on their eating habits. As I've mentioned in the linked thread, the sisters can't seem to eat anything but chicken fingers and french fries.

Earlier tonight, we had one of the sisters over. Turned out she didn't have dinner, so we brought out some roast duck. Very good stuff. She made a face and said "ewwww what is that?"

A life time of living in poverty and on food stamps has made her incapable of enjoying anything other than... fast foods.

Which brings me to my main point. We all know that people are obviously not eating quality foods while on food stamps. But here's the thing. While food stamps aren't enough to give them quality foods, they're just barely good enough to keep them going virtually forever. Once people are adapted to the cheap stuff that they normally get from food stamps, there's little reason for them to improve.

The sister has walked out of several jobs because she doesn't like them. She currently sits at home. Both sisters, the mom, and the dad have been on food stamps forever. It's not a social safety net to them. It's a way of life.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack by the politically correct, but such way of life is downright degrading!

Food stamp just isn't enough to give people quality foods. It's just barely enough to keep them going forever and ever. And unfortunately, many people have turned it into a way of life.

And unfortunately, my boyfriend's little sisters, after having grown up on food stamps, can't enjoy anything but chicken fingers and french fries. Neither of them work. They don't seem to mind at all that they are barely surviving being on a permanent state of food stamp collectors.
So you want to punish the rest of the people on Food Stamps because of the dietary habits of your boyfriend's family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 03:24 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,981 times
Quote:
... I left out all that you posted...
For the record, I'm a right winged 'nut jobs' as you called it... and I feel sorry for you having to deal with those family members that you're fed up with....

Go into any US Park where there are bears and read the signs: "DO NOT FEED THE BEARS"
What's the reason for that sign? Because if humans feed the bears those bears will stop foraging for themselves and will only rely on humans for food. If they don't get it, they will die.

Yet monthly, we 'feed the bears' by sending tax dollars to those that are perfectly able to fend for themselves, by providing them food stamps. They've gotten so lazy that they no longer forge for themselves - instead they sit on the couch eating bon-bons and watching Jerry Springer.

I'm all for providing for those that can't provide for themselves - but to continue to give food stamps to those that are fully capable of providing for themselves is beyond me.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:50 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Before you have your knee jerk reaction, no I am not a right wing nutjob. I absolutely do not mind paying to have social safety nets to catch people when they fall. So, please hear me out before you put me together with the right wing bigots.

I have been dealing with my boyfriend's family for a number of years. I've written about them here, so you can read the thread at this link...

They are a puzzle to me.

Let's focus on their eating habits. As I've mentioned in the linked thread, the sisters can't seem to eat anything but chicken fingers and french fries.

Earlier tonight, we had one of the sisters over. Turned out she didn't have dinner, so we brought out some roast duck. Very good stuff. She made a face and said "ewwww what is that?"

A life time of living in poverty and on food stamps has made her incapable of enjoying anything other than... fast foods.

Which brings me to my main point. We all know that people are obviously not eating quality foods while on food stamps. But here's the thing. While food stamps aren't enough to give them quality foods, they're just barely good enough to keep them going virtually forever. Once people are adapted to the cheap stuff that they normally get from food stamps, there's little reason for them to improve.

The sister has walked out of several jobs because she doesn't like them. She currently sits at home. Both sisters, the mom, and the dad have been on food stamps forever. It's not a social safety net to them. It's a way of life.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack by the politically correct, but such way of life is downright degrading!

Food stamp just isn't enough to give people quality foods. It's just barely enough to keep them going forever and ever. And unfortunately, many people have turned it into a way of life.

And unfortunately, my boyfriend's little sisters, after having grown up on food stamps, can't enjoy anything but chicken fingers and french fries. Neither of them work. They don't seem to mind at all that they are barely surviving being on a permanent state of food stamp collectors.
Yes, lets deny the 16 million children on food stamps a meal because of the behavior of a single family. Brilliant.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:24 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,946 times
On the topic of the type of food people of SNAP buy it is such a complicated issue. It's not black and white. Many people live in food deserts where there is a lack of access to grocery stores, for many different reasons. That influences what people buy.

If you're working 2 jobs and using SNAP it'd be great to cook but unfortunately convince food is convenient for a reason.

Not to mention that grocery stores specifically stock their stores tailored to their customer base. The stop in shop in my town has a huge organic section, biggest meat and seafood departments etc.... The one inside the city limits is completely different. It's loaded with all sorts of frozen snack foods, massive chip aisles, a whole refrigerator case gets filled with the gallon jugs of colored "juice" .

There are so many levels to the problem with food in our country. If it was easy we wouldn't have such a broken system.

Also, for those who want to get rid of food stamps, how do you propose the MILLIONS of children it feeds get fed? What about the disabled?

There is so much judgment when someone uses an EBT card and so much of it comes from misinformation and outright lies about how the program works.

There is tons to criticize when it comes to food stamps but when you don't even understand how the program works it gives your opinion less value.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
lets just make people earn their food stamps then they can spend them as they wish. A little hard work will be good for them.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:00 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
lets just make people earn their food stamps then they can spend them as they wish. A little hard work will be good for them.
Yep, we need to open factories for the kids, like China.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:03 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,301 times
Quote:

They are a puzzle to me.

Welcome to the Republican Party.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:07 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
I don't understand. Calling me a liar is not an insult? And my post did not contain any insulting term at all.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
I don't understand. Calling me a liar is not an insult? And my post did not contain any insulting term at all.
The post calling you a liar was deleted and any posts replying to it was deleted. It was deleted most likely because it was found to be calling you liar not based in facts.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:36 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
Back when I was broke and living out of my car, I used to use EBT to buy one of those $5 hot pizzas from 7-Eleven. I ate one half during the day and the other half at night. My buddy who worked the night shift there let me use the oven to heat up the leftovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies