Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:09 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,397,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
It's hard not to notice when they hold up the line because they need one more gallon of milk for their wic check or when they are trying to figure up the best way to ring up things so they can maximize cash back.

Yeah keep your head in the sand and be a good compassionate libprog.
I've never seen that, ever. Then again, I don't live in some super trashy ghetto area. All the conservatives on this forum must, though, because they sure seem to have plenty of food stamp anecdotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 07:36 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Did you know, some states like Kansas won't let people buy potatoes on food stamps? They are relatively cheap, can be fixed many ways and can stretch meals. They also ban the buying of fish, one of the healthiest things you can eat.
WIC is not allowing potatoes. I'm not sure about food stamps.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
WIC is not allowing potatoes. I'm not sure about food stamps.
Panel reverses, says white potatoes should be included in WIC benefits

Yes they are but the story here is a mess. They were banned to stop the sale of french fries and potato chips. Then a medical group (and potato growers) step in and say "you idiots, potatoes are good for people so the ban gets reversed.

We have far too many people writing regulations.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:32 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,451,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Ok, let's look at #9.

Did I not say the people I've been talking about there 5 adults, a baby, and a pitbull? Did I not say the dad is a mover and the sister's boyfriend is a dishwasher? Did I not say none of the women have ever had a steady job?

I've also admitted that food stamps provide a vital safety net. I've said all of that long before you posted your link.

With all that said, food stamps along with other assistance programs are making it easier for them to stay in perpetual poverty across generations. No incentive for them to actually lift themselves out of poverty.

So, the entirety of all the mythbusters in your link is designed to counter arguments by hate-filled republicans. Not a single one actually deals with the human side of my argument.

Apparently, you've also missed the part where I said my family came from extreme poverty and that there were times in my childhood when us kids had to sleep all day because there weren't anything to eat for the day.

I do not hate people who are on food stamps. I hate the system that has made it easy to stay poor forever. My family lifted ourselves out of poverty and became engineers precisely because we don't want any of our next generation to know what poverty is like. On the other hand, America has an entire class of people who are perfectly comfortable working low-skilled jobs forever or not work at all and pass on their knowledge of how government assistance programs work onto the next generation and the next.

My assistant at my office is a very hard working guy. He has shared with my many times that he grew up in the ghetto and that he was expected by everyone around him to impregnate as many girls as he could. As a young man, he used to stand at the street corners. We've all seen them, don't even pretend like you've never seen them before.

He said in his late-20's, he didn't want to be poor forever anymore. So, he just started going up to construction crews and asked for a job. It took a while before a foreman helped him go through the process. And his life vastly improved after that. He also brought up hating food stamps and he absolutely hates seeing everyone else in his family perfectly content staying on government assistance forever.

When he told me the part where he always hates going to family reunions because there's always an uncle or brother that angrily says "you think you're better than us don't you?" it sounded exactly how my boyfriend told me about get-togethers with his family.

No one I know that managed to lift themselves out of the cycle of poverty thinks food stamps are a good thing. All they do is give an impoverished person another reason to stay poor.
I agree with you post exceipt the hate filled republican part. Point out a post on your thrad about republicans hating poor people? I didnt see any. Us conservatives believe in a hand up not a hand out. Not all republicans feel that way. But as a norm we dont hate poor people. We have plenty in our mist on the right and we dont hate them. What you have been speaking in your posts is very conservative, sorry to let you know but your a closet conservative you just dont know it yet. I am all for safety nets as long as they are made for a temporary help of people who fell down on their luck. The problem is they are designed to keep people on the government tit. Sound like your views? Ok get over it and welcome to where you belong. Realize that right wing radio doesnt demonize and name call ( well most of the shows) and listen to some along with npr (i listen sometimes) its good to open your mind and listen to both views.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:38 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
So because this one idiot family buys fast food and doesn't cook their meals, you're wlling to cut it for all?
Right -- one idiot family..

PLEASE.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:53 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
I will never understand the obsession with what food people on food stamps are eating. Apparently no matter what they eat someone is going to have issue with it.

Personally, I dont care if it is steak and lobster, ding dongs and red bull, or chicken nuggets and french fries. They get X$/month as long as they meet the state guidelines for assistance I just dont care.

As far as the fast food or pre-cooked food, I have known a couple homeless people on FS with no way to keep or cook food so being able to buy certain pre made foods was a good thing for them.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:49 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
Whatever. You seem outraged that kids don't like duck. Most people are not surprised by this.

FWIW- I don't like duck either.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:58 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,946 times
Fast food is not covered by the SNAP program. The only exception being a program in California where homeless people can buy prepared foods because they have nowhere to cook/store foods.

I'm so sick of people who scream foul about the food stamps program but actually know nothing about it. Especially when they argue about things that are 100% wrong and untrue.

If you don't like food stamps or agree with the program that's your choice, but please educate yourself first so you are informed of what you're complaining about.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:10 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,552,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Before you have your knee jerk reaction, no I am not a right wing nutjob. I absolutely do not mind paying to have social safety nets to catch people when they fall. So, please hear me out before you put me together with the right wing bigots.

I have been dealing with my boyfriend's family for a number of years. I've written about them here, so you can read the thread at this link...

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-were-out.html

They are a puzzle to me.

Let's focus on their eating habits. As I've mentioned in the linked thread, the sisters can't seem to eat anything but chicken fingers and french fries.

Earlier tonight, we had one of the sisters over. Turned out she didn't have dinner, so we brought out some roast duck. Very good stuff. She made a face and said "ewwww what is that?"

A life time of living in poverty and on food stamps has made her incapable of enjoying anything other than... fast foods.

Which brings me to my main point. We all know that people are obviously not eating quality foods while on food stamps. But here's the thing. While food stamps aren't enough to give them quality foods, they're just barely good enough to keep them going virtually forever. Once people are adapted to the cheap stuff that they normally get from food stamps, there's little reason for them to improve.

The sister has walked out of several jobs because she doesn't like them. She currently sits at home. Both sisters, the mom, and the dad have been on food stamps forever. It's not a social safety net to them. It's a way of life.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack by the politically correct, but such way of life is downright degrading!

Food stamp just isn't enough to give people quality foods. It's just barely enough to keep them going forever and ever. And unfortunately, many people have turned it into a way of life.

And unfortunately, my boyfriend's little sisters, after having grown up on food stamps, can't enjoy anything but chicken fingers and french fries. Neither of them work. They don't seem to mind at all that they are barely surviving being on a permanent state of food stamp collectors.
In Maryland, EBT is accepted by a wide range of grocery stores, from the bare-bottom food stores such as Save-A-Lot and Shop & Save, to more "upscale" grocery stores such as Wegman's and Fresh Market. I think that your boyfriend's sister's taste has more to do with her personal background than limitations due to EBT. One still has a wide variety of food choices while on food stamps.

When I'm at the store, I have a habit of looking at the food people buy (I don't pay attention to how they pay for it). A lot of times, my cart will be filled with some vegetables, fruit, water, meat, eggs, and maybe some household items. Many of the people I notice are purchasing sodas, juice, chips, frozen dinners, and the like. Mind you, this is in a working class area of Baltimore. If I drive 10 minutes to the supermarket in Towson (middle/upper middle class), I notice that peoples' food choices are generally different. Education and awareness play a huge role in how people eat, regardless of how they are paying for it.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:53 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Fast food is not covered by the SNAP program. The only exception being a program in California where homeless people can buy prepared foods because they have nowhere to cook/store foods.

I'm so sick of people who scream foul about the food stamps program but actually know nothing about it. Especially when they argue about things that are 100% wrong and untrue.

If you don't like food stamps or agree with the program that's your choice, but please educate yourself first so you are informed of what you're complaining about.

I know one can purchase pizza and cooked food at convenience stores. Thats what the signs say anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies