Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:54 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times

Advertisements

Fossil fuels are not reliable long term, solar has much more promise and is improving all the time.
The sun will continue shining long after the oil runs out, but if technologies are not maintained to meet the demand with solar,
The oil dependency will have people in worse shape than if they had invested in solar and alternative energies.
My investment in solar can be passed down to my children and they can push the panels as far as they can go, I have some that are new, and some that are over 40 years old, still working .
If a person prefers to be ignorant concerning the energy they use, and dependent on public energy to function ,settle with the problems they have.
When the power goes out,
No one is obligated to share solar power with any one no matter how badly they need it.
If one prefers the ignorance in electricity yet dependent on it, they are the slave to the system.
I have heard people argue the price of solar panels exceed the pay off , but I'm not the one in the dark when the grid goes down or buying new alliances because of the brown outs and voltage spikes .
Those things are never calculated in to the cost of being on the grid.
But then I am on a battery system ,not just solar and wind.
My solar panels are on a shop trailer I built years ago so when I move so does the solar.
No rule it has to be on a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 12:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Can you not read? I said EXCLUDING subsidies...

Don't you think it's way past time to end incentives on fossil fuels as well....You need a new VALID argument.

Shocking’ revelation finds $5.3 trillion fossil fuel companies subsidy estimate (equivalent to $10m a minute every day for 2015) is greater than the total health spending of all the world’s governments.....
Fossil fuels subsidised by $10m a minute, says IMF | Environment | The Guardian
ROFL...... Fossil fuels are the foundation of our modern society including healthy living. Even the health nut guru is going to die an early age without them becsue they will be killing themselves to stay alive.

Here is my valid argument that is not based on made up fairy tales using made up figures. The federal subsidy for gas/oil as one example is about 5 billion. That is fractions of one penny per gallon of gasoline, as another perspective it's the revenue of Exxon itself in a few days. It's nothing as far as the market is concerned.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Fossil fuels are not reliable long term, solar has much more promise and is improving all the time.
We burn about 1 billion tons per year, the active mines could support the US for the next 20 years. The part marked recoverable is known to exist and can be feasibly mined.

This is by far the largest fossil fuel resource of any nation. It's not infinite but as practical matter it might as well be.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:50 AM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
ROFL...... Fossil fuels are the foundation of our modern society including healthy living. Even the health nut guru is going to die an early age without them becsue they will be killing themselves to stay alive.

Here is my valid argument that is not based on made up fairy tales using made up figures. The federal subsidy for gas/oil as one example is about 5 billion. That is fractions of one penny per gallon of gasoline, as another perspective it's the revenue of Exxon itself in a few days. It's nothing as far as the market is concerned.
Are you actually accusing me of making up stuff? The fossil fuel subsidy figures are for the entire world, not just the US as you would have realized had you taken the time to read the article.....Nobody is advocating entirely stopping the use of fossil fuels, but just decreasing their use in order to get nature back into balance.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:54 AM

Quote:
We burn about 1 billion tons per year, the active mines could support the US for the next 20 years. The part marked recoverable is known to exist and can be feasibly mined.

This is by far the largest fossil fuel resource of any nation. It's not infinite but as practical matter it might as well be.
You need to understand that coal as a fuel is rapidly dying...

Despite the major forces trying to align to save it, coal's future as a major energy source is being attacked by a variety of pathogens: government regulations, market forces and moral arguments. As a result, government charts plotting coal's life expectancy look like the flat vital signs of a very sick patient. Coal Faces Three Hurdles and Steady Decline, Projections Show | InsideClimate News

Old 09-24-2015, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Are you actually accusing me of making up stuff? The fossil fuel subsidy figures are for the entire world, not just the US as you would have realized had you taken the time to read the article.....
I did, did you. More importantly I understand how they arrive at such figures. For example they cite this:

Quote:
Ending the subsidies would also slash the number of premature deaths from outdoor air pollution by 50% – about 1.6 million lives a year.
I know how they arrived at the figure, since it's your article perhaps you will explain it to the audience.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:03 AM

Quote:
You need to understand that coal as a fuel is rapidly dying...
The only thing that can replace the base power provided by coal is gas and it's going to get very interesting as groups like The Sierra Club begin to attack that. Early studies have concluded it may be worse than coal with greenhouse emissions.

U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) - Pub

Old 09-24-2015, 02:03 AM

Quote:
I did, did you. More importantly I understand how they arrive at such figures. For example they cite this:

I know how they arrived at the figure, since it's your article perhaps you will explain it to the audience.
I expect you will read this, the source of the figures I posted, then I expect an apology from you.
http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2015/wp15105.pdf

Old 09-24-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
I expect you will read this, the source of the figures I posted, then I expect an apology from you.
How did they arrive at that figure or do you not understand the statistics they are citing?

I'll be happy to explain it to you once you admit you don't know.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:
The only thing that can replace the base power provided by coal is gas and it's going to get very interesting as groups like The Sierra Club begin to attack that. Early studies have concluded it may be worse than coal with greenhouse emissions.

U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) - Pub
That is nothing more than a projection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies