Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:26 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Maybe we need to change restroom names from mens and womens, to penis and non penis rooms.
Certainly would be gender neutral.

Maybe have pics on the doors so there is no confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Teenage girls should not have to share a restroom with someone with a penis. I understand his position but the answer isn't to make 150 uncomfortable so that 1 isn't.
If there are 150 girls in a bathroom at one time, then the school has much larger problems to deal with.

As for the overall situation, if we are talking about showering, then I could agree.

But restrooms and changing for P.E.(no nudity) then absolutely not. People share bathrooms and changing rooms all the times,regardless of gender. I would wager these girls saw more this summer at pool parties than they do when this girl is in her boxers.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:35 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
There is a unisex bathroom, but apparently that's not good enough. A statement must be made, people must be forced to accept...that's the bottom line here. But a guy in a dress and wig doesn't cut it.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:27 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
The lesson here: if you don't want your community to be looked down upon by the Washington Post and New York Times, you'd better make sure that no one publically opposes guys in wigs and makeup using the girl's locker room at the local high school. That just isn't done in 2015.

Quote:
The controversy suggests that in some American communities, the debate
over transgender rights lags behind the messages contained in glossy
magazine spreads.
Here, in the heartland, life as a transgender American remains hard, to say
the least.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:48 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Gotta admit... the horny teenage version of me would have been willing to put on a wig, dress and makeup in exchange for access to the girl's locker room if I thought I could get away with it.

Gotta draw the line somewhere... seems sensible to me that such a line is drawn based on whether you physically have a penis or a vagina. I'm not sure why that's an unpopular opinion as of late but early 21st century America will not be remembered in history as a very logical, wise and/or intelligent time.
And thats EXACTLY part of the problem. When I was a teenager I worked the front desk of a pool. One day a guy got caught dressed as a woman in the womans shower. Banned for life from the pool. Turns out he did this at other nearby pools as well.

The other side of this however is that dressing as a girl, and going to the mens room is going to end badly too.

Unisex bathrooms seem like the solution. Not the best one, not the easiest one, and not the cheapest one. But a solution.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:00 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Unisex bathrooms seem like the solution. Not the best one, not the easiest one, and not the cheapest one. But a solution.
And this kid was offered one but refused it saying "I am a girl. I shouldn't have to be pushed away and just... off to another bathroom" No kid in his situation would have said that even 5 years ago. He's a product of the current media environment.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:08 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Sorry, but the sensitivities of 150 young girls trumps the feelings of one transgender. He has no right to be in their shower area or their bathrooms. It's either the unisex bathroom, the mens room or hold it till you're home.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:21 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,071,815 times
Apparently many posters didn't read the articles.

The transgendered kid had been using the unisex bathroom at the school for a couple of years.

It wasn't until this school year that he/she decided that wasn't good enough so the school allowed him/her to use both the girls bathroom and the girls locker room.

This became an issue because a girl encountered "an intact male" (the transgender) in the girls locker room.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:59 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
The point is to force yourself on others and demand they "tolerate" you.

There's an awful lot of that going around.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:13 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Apparently many posters didn't read the articles.

The transgendered kid had been using the unisex bathroom at the school for a couple of years.

It wasn't until this school year that he/she decided that wasn't good enough so the school allowed him/her to use both the girls bathroom and the girls locker room.

This became an issue because a girl encountered "an intact male" (the transgender) in the girls locker room.

Ouch. Yeah i should have read the article. Dang thats....yeah. No. You get your own bathroom, you dont get to choose anothers just cause you want too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies