Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 06:57 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
They should be locked up on child endangerment charges!

Gun nuts
Why? Guns were left accessible to me and to the vast majority of neighborhood kids at a far younger age. Guess what? Nothing bad ever happened with them. For several reasons. First because we were taught the basics of firearms safety at a young age. Second, we were taught to respect our parent's property and that we were never to touch firearms without adult supervision. And finally because we saw guns just as one more tool, not some mystical object to try to handle.

Cars are far more deadly than guns. Should we lock up every parent that leaves their car keys where kids can get their hands on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 07:39 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why? Guns were left accessible to me and to the vast majority of neighborhood kids at a far younger age. Guess what? Nothing bad ever happened with them. For several reasons. First because we were taught the basics of firearms safety at a young age. Second, we were taught to respect our parent's property and that we were never to touch firearms without adult supervision. And finally because we saw guns just as one more tool, not some mystical object to try to handle.

Cars are far more deadly than guns. Should we lock up every parent that leaves their car keys where kids can get their hands on them?
I know its anecdotal but I also remember hunting with my friends for rabbits at 12 years old in the fields around our houses. I was also present when one of my friends shot and killed another one of my friends after tripping on the basement stairs with a loaded shotgun. So the old days were not so safe either. Oddly enough the kid who shot the other kid was riding bicycles in a thunderstorm with some other kids when he and another were struck and killed by lightning. Glad I missed that one.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:39 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times
I learned gun responsibility at a young age too?
If someone invades my home then or now boom...boom out goes the lights...

Old 09-06-2015, 01:29 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Teenagers, pre-teens are careless, everyone is different and there might be an 11 year old who's capable but I just see this as being irresponsible particularly with a 4 year old at home. I can just picture the gun on a table while the child get's distracted playing a video game.
My older children both stayed home with their little brother at times when they were 11/6th grade. I started babysitting for strangers at age 10/6th grade (I was young for my grade).
By age 12/7th grade they were regularly getting their little brother off the bus and taking care of him while I drive carpool for the other ones sports.

6th graders are plenty old enough to be home alone with younger sibling.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:50 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I am a bit skeptical of this story until further facts come out. An 11 year old shoots a home invader in the head? That is pretty far fetched. Even an adult would be rattled if being robbed. A head shot isn't easy in the best circumstances on a range.

That is known as proper gun control. Cops miss 8 out of 10 shots when in shootout situations. The kid should get a medal for his actions.

Do gooders would rather he called 911 and wait 30 mins for the cops to show and process a crime scene which could have included two dead kids.

I had a BB gun, .22 and shotgun when 11 and used to shoot all frequently - unsupervised. Used to carry the BB gun around everywhere I went as did several other kids....GASP!

My dad used to take my brother and I shooting and we would shoot his .22 Colt Woodsman (wish I had that thing now), .357 and .308. He started bringing my sisters along when they started complaining about being left out. They liked shooting rats at the dump also.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:54 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Quote:

Gun nuts
Why should the parent be locked up? Do you think it would have been better if the 16 year old and 22 year old would have killed the kids?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:17 PM

57,322 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
That is known as proper gun control. Cops miss 8 out of 10 shots when in shootout situations. The kid should get a medal for his actions.

Do gooders would rather he called 911 and wait 30 mins for the cops to show and process a crime scene which could have included two dead kids.

I had a BB gun, .22 and shotgun when 11 and used to shoot all frequently - unsupervised. Used to carry the BB gun around everywhere I went as did several other kids....GASP!

My dad used to take my brother and I shooting and we would shoot his .22 Colt Woodsman (wish I had that thing now), .357 and .308. He started bringing my sisters along when they started complaining about being left out. They liked shooting rats at the dump also.

Cops miss 8 out of 10 but we all know gun owners in CD are close to 100%

Still waiting for all the facts but if this is true then he should have called police on the first two attempts. Yes those 11-year olds should call 911, what do you teach your children, go for the gun first.

A 11 year old should not be left alone in the house with a gun to make life and death situations, I don't care how many times you shot a rabbit as an 11-year old or how many times you used a gun. If you are a normal parent you don't put a child in this situation. This is no a remote rural neighborhood from what I have seen, no reason to have a loaded gun in this neighborhood that can be accessed by children.

Quote:
But two people in the neighborhood told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch newspaper that the younger boy was the attacker.

St. Louis County police said in a statement the teenager and another person unsuccessfully tried to enter the house twice on Thursday, and entered through the front door on a third attempt.
.................................................. ........................................
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch quoted Donna Jackson, 45, who lives across the
street from the house where the shooting occurred, as saying she saw the
11-year-old boy shoot the teenager in the head as the two were talking near the
home's front door. "It was not a break-in," she told the paper.

Jazmyne Clark, 18, a neighbor who lives two doors down said the teenager
might have been trying to sell the 11-year-old boy a phone, according to the
newspaper. "He wasn't breaking in at all. He was just trying to sell him his
phone," Clark told the paper.

St. Louis County police said they were continuing the investigation
11-Year-Old Kills Missouri Teen In Murky Home Shooting

Old 09-06-2015, 08:42 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
If you have an 11 year old that you feel you can't trust with a firearm, then you need to re-evaluate your skills as a parent.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:59 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Cops miss 8 out of 10 but we all know gun owners in CD are close to 100%

Still waiting for all the facts but if this is true then he should have called police on the first two attempts. Yes those 11-year olds should call 911, what do you teach your children, go for the gun first.

A 11 year old should not be left alone in the house with a gun to make life and death situations, I don't care how many times you shot a rabbit as an 11-year old or how many times you used a gun. If you are a normal parent you don't put a child in this situation. This is no a remote rural neighborhood from what I have seen, no reason to have a loaded gun in this neighborhood that can be accessed by children.

11-Year-Old Kills Missouri Teen In Murky Home Shooting
When seconds count, the police will be there in minutes.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:30 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:

Gun nuts
You would rather have the kid raped then killed..., huh...figures....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies