Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 11:40 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Based on what I've read there seems more to this story.

I believe everyone's sarcasm meter is broken except for mine regarding the OP's sardonic thread title.
In all fairness, the OP to this thread is a hard read. He's all over the place on the ideological spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
We are constantly being bombarded by a fanciful story
of heroic self defense by gun apologists.
They happen every day. All you gotta do is look.
Quote:
The truth is a child is more likely to play cops and robbers or cowboys
and indians with a real loaded gun. Resulting in a tragic incident of a child
killing a playmate and this happens roughly 390 times each year in America. 390
funerals were parents tear up and consider what they have lost
According to the CDC, about 10 people die each day in a drowning accident in swimming pools, etc, and 2 of those 10 are children. Do the math and you come up with 730 children dying each year on average. In fact drowning is the second leading cause of preventable death among children. That's nearly DOUBLE your unsubstantiated claim that 390 children die each year from firearms, yet, where's your outrage? Where's your demands that we pass laws requiring fencing and locks on swimming pools?
Quote:
. Children even teenagers often think a loaded gun is the answer to punishing
someone he is mad at like Mommy or Daddy, older or younger siblings or people at
school from a playground bully to that teacher that gave him an unsatisfactory
evaluation.
I agree with you there, but the problem isn't guns. It's that we live in a society that has so devalued life itself that this is the natural result. When we live in a society where children can play video games like GTA where they can shoot at cops, stage their own little mass shootings in virtual reality, run people down in cars; Where they can watch movies and TV where people are killed en masse for sport, where executives from organizations like Planned Parenthood can casually sit eating cheese and whine while discussing the mutilation of fetuses and sending their decapitated heads in boxes to labs, it is any wonder that our young people place no value on life?
Quote:
None oft these kids are mentally deficient or young psychos in training just
average American kids.
Again, I agree. Sad that society has regressed to such a state, isn't it?
Quote:
So this should be weighed in the balance when compared to
statistically infrequent events
Oh..... the sheer irony. You do realize that accidental child deaths by firearm are, "statistically infrequent" don't you? You do realize that mass shootings and school shootings are also, "statistically infrequent", right? Mass shootings of any type account for less than 1/10th of 1% of all murders. And also, you realize that the guns that people like you want to ban -the AR15 and similar- are used in a "statistically infrequent" amount of crimes per annum, right?

But a better question might be what exactly it is you consider, "statistically infrequent".....? Using your own numbers against you, you quoted 390 accidental child deaths per year by firearm. Apparently you don't consider that number "statistically infrequent".... So using those same standards, the NRA chronicles at least 3 stories per day of a citizen using a gun to defend themselves or their property. These stories can all be verified by the local outlets that originally reported them. That would equate to a bare minimum of 1095 cases every year. According to you, THAT isn't "statistically insignificant".

Old 09-08-2015, 06:13 AM

57,318 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Not commenting on this case specifically because it seems like there are a lot of conflicting stories about what actually happened, but on the general concept of an eleven year old having access to a gun, what's the problem with it? Every situation is different. I know a lot of adults I wouldn't trust with a firearm, and there are kids I wouldn't trust with a firearm either. Probably most. But there are some who can be trusted at that age. It's a judgment call that has to be made by the parents, according to their specific situation.

If it happens that this kid really was stopping an intruder, are you saying that it would have been preferable for this kid and his sister to be beaten/raped/murdered?

Ah, well, I guess that answers that question. You'd rather the headline be "Two Children Murdered In St. Louis Home Invasion"

You're assuming facts not in evidence. How do you know this gun was left loaded and unlocked? Perhaps it was locked up and the 11 yo was told where the key was?

Well frankly Goodnight, that's because the whole concept of self reliance and independence baffles you. It scares the hell outa you. You can't imagine living in a world where people aren't dependent on government in some way or other to meet all their needs; Where there's no safety net. It's a common trait amongst Leftist Democrats, which seems to be the ideology in which you subscribe....

I can't say that I'm in total disagreement with you, because I have to admit when I first read this story, it was brow raising, because I'd say that most kids today don't have the mental maturity to have access to firearms, due to the fact that kids don't have to, aren't expected, and therefore aren't raised to be responsible young adults like they used to be. But again, every situation is different. We don't k how mature this kid was, if he'd been trained, why they were home alone, etc, so I'll reserve judgment, but if this kid really was defending his home and sibling, I don't see the problem that you obviously do.
Still waiting for details to come out on this story, an eleven year old sold never be left in a position to make a life and death decision with a gun unless it's an absolute last resort. This appears to be a decent neighborhood, there were neighbors watching, did he call the police, try to get help from someone else.

I don't think that arming eleven year olds and having them make these decisions is rational, I am sure there are some that are capable but that decision should be left to an adult.

Yes it's a judgement call made by the parents, their son, their house, their gun, we will see if this was a smart decision but eiter way an 11 year old just killed a 16 year old.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Still waiting for details to come out on this story, an eleven year old sold never be left in a position to make a life and death decision with a gun unless it's an absolute last resort. This appears to be a decent neighborhood, there were neighbors watching, did he call the police, try to get help from someone else.

I don't think that arming eleven year olds and having them make these decisions is rational, I am sure there are some that are capable but that decision should be left to an adult.

Yes it's a judgement call made by the parents, their son, their house, their gun, we will see if this was a smart decision but eiter way an 11 year old just killed a 16 year old.
Context matters. If this really was a home invasion, then there's nothing "shocking" or "insane" about it and this kid should be commended and given the key to the city as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:24 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Quote:
In all fairness, the OP to this thread is a hard read. He's all over the place on the ideological spectrum.
I'm right and you all are wrong.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:24 PM

7,515 posts, read 5,758,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
When I was 11 I had access to many of my father guns and ammo for them. I am here but perhaps this is more a comment on today young. When young they were locked away tho; but by 11 I had two guns of my own.
Same here, I was checking my trapline before school and carrying my old 22 to dispatch critters. Paid for my first rifle with money from muskrats, mink, coon and fox.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:17 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
They should be locked up on child endangerment charges!

Gun nuts
Why?

I bought my first gun with my lawn mowing money around that age.

I OFTEN came home, got my gun and proceeded to shoot up evil corn cobs at the end of my street after school. Lo and behold I'm now 45 and have never had more than a speeding ticket or any other run-in.

Just because many kids these days don't graduate highschool with the ability to do laundry or make grilled cheese doesn't make for child endangerment charges.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:27 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
at 11 years of age, a child is generally able to put together responsible thoughts and deeds, even though the law says otherwise. if a child is properly taught how to handle a firearm, and taught proprer gun safety, and uses the firearm to defend his family, then lets stop with the bullcrap of running down the parents, and how bad things are when an 11 year old uses a gun to save his family, and lets concentrate on the criminals and their actions instead.

its just like gun grabbers to go after someone who properly uses a firearm rather than the criminal that forced the use of that firearm.

we all respond to situations based on our training, and our abilities. perhaps this 11 year old will one day be a police officer, or perhaps be a fine example of a soldier. we dont know what his parents taught him.

If it was a pit bull who bit and held the thug until cops got there the idiot cops would shoot the dog.

In this case we have a well trained 11 year old who successfully defended his home from intruders...it's a wonder the cops didn't shoot him.

Hopefully he will be intelligent not to become a statist thug.

Libs have messed up our world.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:01 AM

57,318 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Context matters. If this really was a home invasion, then there's nothing "shocking" or "insane" about it and this kid should be commended and given the key to the city as far as I'm concerned.
There are adults that would have difficulty making a life and death decision with a gun, placing that responsibility on any child is lacking in common sense.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:17 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are adults that would have difficulty making a life and death decision with a gun, placing that responsibility on any child is lacking in common sense.
So the child would have been better off to not have the gun and face home invaders? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies