Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Running off, you're the one jumping to rape and murder outcome, what if it was simply robbery, how do you even know the intentions.
Do you want to have cake and coffee with someone who is breaking into your house?

Why not tell us the intentions of those people who broke into that house? Go ahead, I'll wait...

Quote:
Just take a step back and answer the question, why don't we allow 11 year olds responsibility in other areas but you will readily accept life and death decisions, can gun ownership ever be irresponsible.
Because they are life and death situations, when was voting a life and death situation? Go ahead, I'll wait....

Quote:
I don't know what happened in this particular instance, still waiting for the details but there is sure some evidence that this may be a very bad decision.
So, you would rather have those children POSSIBLY hurt, all because you don't like guns....got ya.....

Quote:
The outcome of this does not change the fact that putting a gun in the hands of an 11year old in these situations invites disaster.
It helped in this situation..why can you not figure that out, why does it make you mad that an 11 year old saved himself and his younger child?? Or would you rather have that 11 year old dead right now?

Quote:
So at what age would this not be acceptable, 10, 8, 7 pre-teens make some rally bad decisions.
Adults with children have shot their children coming into their house at night through a window, 65, 59, 55 year olds HAVE made bad decisions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
We've already been through this argument and established from gun nuts that there is no age too young for a person to wield a loaded firearm; in fact, the sooner the better. Kids, babies, toddlers still in diapers...doesn't matter, they should all be strapped with live heat. If there was a way to implant a miniaturized beretta 9mm with extended clip into the womb and wrap that fetuses little hand-like appendages around it, they would gladly do it.

This is the gospel according to the gun nut...glory you, oh fully-automatic assault rifle.
Great meme that is only provided from the stupid left....congrats...you should be proud that you would rather have those children killed/hurt/maimed/ than protect themselves....

What is the right age from people like you, when a person can protect themselves?

Old 09-10-2015, 07:47 PM

57,273 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Do you want to have cake and coffee with someone who is breaking into your house?

Why not tell us the intentions of those people who broke into that house? Go ahead, I'll wait...

Because they are life and death situations, when was voting a life and death situation? Go ahead, I'll wait....

So, you would rather have those children POSSIBLY hurt, all because you don't like guns....got ya.....

It helped in this situation..why can you not figure that out, why does it make you mad that an 11 year old saved himself and his younger child?? Or would you rather have that 11 year old dead right now?

Adults with children have shot their children coming into their house at night through a window, 65, 59, 55 year olds HAVE made bad decisions...
Simply put you are ready to cede this responsibility to an 11 year old, very few if any parents would make that decision with guns or anything else, they are in middle school. Yes adults have made bad decisions but you expect an 11 year old to make a good choice, where do you draw the line 9, 5?

You are way ahead on this situation as there are conflicting stories, maybe this is the 1 in a billion case where it's a good decision to give an 11 year old a gun in self defense. We will see.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:26 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Very fair points!

Relative to intentions we really do not know but there were some that went to the extreme in an attempt to justify this particular case. There are some states where you don't have to justify taking someones life, other states require that is life threatening, either way you need to be sure of what you are doing. There have been more than a few wrongful shootings of family members and others in these types of incidents.

Vetry strange it's been several days and no update but that may have something to do with the fact that there are minors involved.
Just as an example of what I mean about there is no one-size-fits-all criteria on what is a good idea and bad idea, when I was growing up, there was always a shotgun or a .22 rifle in any given corner or behind a door. They weren't there for any specific reason, they were just there because that is where we stored them.... ( unloaded )

That was ok for us, in our situation. I knew not to touch the gun and wasn't allowed to handle a gun without some supervision until I got a bit older. I don't think my parents were irresponsible, that was just what worked for our situation. That however, wouldn't work in every household. There are some households where that wouldn't be a good choice. That's why I don't necessarily go along with your statement that no 11 year old should have access to a gun under any circumstance. It's all relative and subjective.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Just as an example of what I mean about there is no one-size-fits-all criteria on what is a good idea and bad idea, when I was growing up, there was always a shotgun or a .22 rifle in any given corner or behind a door. They weren't there for any specific reason, they were just there because that is where we stored them.... ( unloaded )

That was ok for us, in our situation. I knew not to touch the gun and wasn't allowed to handle a gun without some supervision until I got a bit older. I don't think my parents were irresponsible, that was just what worked for our situation. That however, wouldn't work in every household. There are some households where that wouldn't be a good choice. That's why I don't necessarily go along with your statement that no 11 year old should have access to a gun under any circumstance. It's all relative and subjective.
Back in the 50's, 60's the world was a very different place, today very violent. There many things we did growing up that today you wouldn't think of doing, I am sure there are some that still live that way but certainly not in most cities or suburbs.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:57 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
More guns we need more guns. Why the NRA should push through Congress a new bill mandating a gun permit with every child along with a SS#.

Keep on adding more guns and lets watch what happens.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:07 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
"Gun Nut Parents Leave Gun Accessible to an 11 year old. What can go wrong?"

Umm, he can apparently shoot an intruder.

Was this a trick question?

Old 09-11-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
"Gun Nut Parents Leave Gun Accessible to an 11 year old. What can go wrong?"

Umm, he can apparently shoot an intruder.

Was this a trick question?
was it an intruder? Some of the neighbors disagree

Old 09-11-2015, 08:05 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Simply put you are ready to cede this responsibility to an 11 year old, very few if any parents would make that decision with guns or anything else, they are in middle school. Yes adults have made bad decisions but you expect an 11 year old to make a good choice, where do you draw the line 9, 5?

You are way ahead on this situation as there are conflicting stories, maybe this is the 1 in a billion case where it's a good decision to give an 11 year old a gun in self defense. We will see.

One thing I've noticed is that you guys who are appalled that this happened have almost all conflated the situation to where the parent(s) left the kids at home with the gun out on the table (you yourself said that I think) just waiting to be used to shoot someone, which is likely not what happened.

I suspect the parents didn't expect an attempted home invasion.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:12 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Looks like a good shoot to me. There may be a good reason the kids had to be left alone.

Man Arrested After Home Invasion in Which 11-Year-Old Killed Teen Intruder - NBC News

I was driving a tractor and a truck by age 10. I was also given my own gun at 10 and I had it with me almost all the time. Not everyone lives in a mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies