Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 12:24 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
Did anybody notice in the scenario that 30 odd students escape while the shooter focuses on the armed student. Seems like a good trade.
I know right, in real life the gunman certainly would ignore someone reaching for a weapon. That's just how it works, right?

Fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 12:24 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
It will drives guns purchasing to the black market and guns will be so expensive most criminals cannot afford them. This iron clad scenario has been proven many times over.
"Iron Clad scenario" LMAO

Quote:
Ok, so the criminals in your neck of the woods know that they must bring guns to gun fights. If that makes you feel better, so be it.

You really just don't get it at all.
They just go to a different neck of the woods, where it is far less likely anyone will be carrying.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:26 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,574 times
Quote:
I know right, in real life the gunman certainly would ignore someone reaching for a weapon. That's just how it works, right?

Fail.
Well, in real life the gunman wouldn't know which person had a concealed weapon.
THAT'S just how it works.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:26 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:

Fail.
FAIL?

You just essentially stated that a woman being held in her vehicle by a man with a knife wouldn't be able to retrieve and use a gun.

I just showed you where in the exact situation you outlined that a woman did in fact retrieve her gun and successfully use it to protect herself.

Talk about EPIC FAIL.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:28 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
- If you are being held with a knife, how is a gun going to help you unless you are Dirty Harry? You reach for your gun and the robber slashes your throat. A gun is a distance weapon, at close quarter combat many of its advantage is gone. At best you get a few cuts and the robber steals your gun, at worse you're on the ground breathing your last breath.

- Same with the woman being held and forced into her car. By that point, it's too late to draw a concealed weapon. The best strategy is to look for an opportunity to run and scream her lungs off to draw attention.

How is that a better idea than just banning ALL guns?? If the criminal wants to rob you, make him do it the old fashion way with a knife or bare hands. You are allowed the same. Wouldn't you stand a much better chance against an attacker with a knife than one with a gun?
There is a lot of close quarter techniques for stopping a threat and then pulling a gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwkU3FC6sLI

Old 09-09-2015, 12:29 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
The truth is if you are carrying a gun on you, a magic shield of protection will envelop you and no harm will come to you.

Remember the Wild West? All those guys who were openly armed never died.

An armed society is a polite society.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:30 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
I feel we need to highlight this epic fail one more time. Pay very close attention to the bold text.

Quote:
- If you are being held with a knife, how is a gun going to help you unless you are Dirty Harry? You reach for your gun and the robber slashes your throat. A gun is a distance weapon, at close quarter combat many of its advantage is gone. At best you get a few cuts and the robber steals your gun, at worse you're on the ground breathing your last breath.

- Same with the woman being held and forced into her car. By that point, it's too late to draw a concealed weapon. The best strategy is to look for an opportunity to run and scream her lungs off to draw attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Here we go. This happened two and half months ago.

Woman fights back, shoots robber in Crosby | News - Home

Quote:
The Harris County Sheriff's Office says a woman was sitting in the driver's seat of her vehicle at the Exxon station on FM 2100 before 6 p.m. Friday. Deputies say a male suspect got into the passenger side of her vehicle, pulled a knife and demanded her money and purse.

According to the Sheriff's Office, she kept calm and told him she would get the cash. Instead deputies say she grabbed her concealed carry weapon from her side and shot the suspect in the left shoulder.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:32 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
This also assumes that every scenario will be the same, with the gunman always having the advantage of surprise. When obviously there are times the person with concealed carry is alerted to the shooter's presence, and they have time to draw their gun, locate the shooter, and take him out without the shooter being aware the conceal carry person was even there.

... and if you are walking through a dimly lit parking lot you will be more "alert" than someone in an allegedly safe classroom. I don't carry my weapon all the time. I only carry it when I know I will be in a questionable environment.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:33 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
The video is interesting. There are two things that should be noted and separated:

1) Guns do not make you safe. This particular video shows what many other studies prove; that if the sh@t hits the fan your best method of self preservation is to get low and get away, not to try pulling a gun out. Not to mention the risks of actually having a gun.

2) Stricter gun laws. This debate is different and should be kept separate from the meaning in this video.

I think that people who support gun ownership can make a credible and rational argument that gun laws don't work. However, I think the real point that guns rarely make a person safer is hardly ever acknowledged.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:33 PM

29,507 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
It will drives guns purchasing to the black market and guns will be so expensive most criminals cannot afford them. This iron clad scenario has been proven many times over.

Really now ?
Is Australia staring down the barrel of a gun crisis?

​Mail order guns? British gangsters buying illegal weapons from US — RT UK

Ironclad you say ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies