Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 09:08 AM

659 posts, read 312,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Hillary doesn't even acknowledge the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, as conveyed in her recent statement that the Supreme Court "got it wrong" on the 2nd Amendment....

How could I ever trust that someone will find ways to keep guns out of the wrong hands while at the same time respect 2A rights, when they don't even acknowledge those rights exist? I'd rather go with a 2A absolutist who doesn't want any laws rather than someone who doesn't even recognize our 2A for the individual right that it is.
Again, please! Surely we all know better, we know this is not about Hillary or anyone else for that matter. This issue is about tightening gun control laws -- that are Constitutionally sound -- until there are no more such laws that can be passed. Only then can we have real peace about this issue. Gun enthusiasts can continue to do their gun thing and gun control advocates will have nothing more to reasonably advocate. That's where we need to land.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:31 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Which isn't what you said.
Nonsense.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
You copy/paste only one part of my comment to complain, apparently not reading the whole comment.
I answered your full statements. I cut it up to answer each part separately.

Quote:
I don't get that, but clearly we have the SCTUS to insure we don't pass laws that are not in accordance with the Constitution. I have little patience arguing with gun enthusiasts who act as if they are the only ones who believe in upholding the Constitution, pretending they are Constitutional scholars. No matter how many times or how many ways it is explained that these tighter gun control measures ARE NOT UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

Enough said?
I see, it's cool for you to "claim" something but not for others. I understand you don't want to address my replies to your points.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:00 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It would be considered normal in Switzerland.

Guns are highly regulated and kept at home. People are not obsessed with defense.

No it wouldn't. People are enlisted and issued a rifle - they don't teach 9 year old kids to use them. The regulations around them are much much tougher than here. And Switzerland is about as close as it gets..

Old 10-07-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Nonsense.
Sense.

Quote:

And Brits are not just as free as Americans. Brits are prohibitted from owning guns.
No they are not, and when called on this statement you backtracked and said something completely different.

Quote:
OK. Not completely. But, you knew that and what I meant.

The statement was of a comparison, and as a matter of degree, Brits are not as free.
If you meant they had more restrictions, that is what you should have said, not something false that people are suppose to read the truth into.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:48 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,414 times
I concede on the point that Brits are not entirely prohibited from owning guns but not on the point that Brits are more restricted in said ownership and thus not as free as Americans!

Unless I am mistaken, Brits do not enjoy the same level of free speech as Americans, either. So, you know what that means!

Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 AM

659 posts, read 312,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I answered your full statements. I cut it up to answer each part separately.

I see, it's cool for you to "claim" something but not for others. I understand you don't want to address my replies to your points.
What am I "claiming" that we can't all agree upon? That we have the SCTUS to address the Constitutionality of legislation? I have trouble following you...

If I "claim" something that anyone feels is not true or unreasonable, I am more than glad to have this pointed out and learn why. In the same spirit, when I see others making unsubstantiated claims or claiming falsehoods, I say so.

Fair enough?

Old 10-07-2015, 12:30 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times
Quote:
I concede on the point that Brits are not entirely prohibited from owning guns but not on the point that Brits are more restricted in said ownership and thus not as free as Americans!

Unless I am mistaken, Brits do not enjoy the same level of free speech as Americans, either. So, you know what that means!

I agree that they are not as "free" in terms of gun ownership, however, I am not sure that I equate gun ownership with how you rate "freedom". I guess it all depends on how you quantify freedom itself.

Free speech is just as protected, and you should know that much of America's constitution, and certainly the bill of rights was lifted from British systems, ideology and law. The English Bill of Rights predates the US Bill of Rights by nearly 100 years.

This is certainly a free country, and it is the best country I have lived in for me - that includes the UK (where I was born and raised). However, the US is not the only "free" country in the world - most of the 190 or so countries in the world are free, and while you may be able to point to gun ownership or such like, Australians or Brits or Italians will be equally as "free" in terms of day to day life. In fact, as an example, I would argue that national healthcare in those countries means that people are more free to switch jobs, pursue business opportunities or even just to worry less.

Anyway, I realize that we are going off point a little..

Old 10-07-2015, 12:43 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
I agree that they are not as "free" in terms of gun ownership, however, I am not sure that I equate gun ownership with how you rate "freedom". I guess it all depends on how you quantify freedom itself.

Free speech is just as protected, and you should know that much of America's constitution, and certainly the bill of rights was lifted from British systems, ideology and law. The English Bill of Rights predates the US Bill of Rights by nearly 100 years.

This is certainly a free country, and it is the best country I have lived in for me - that includes the UK (where I was born and raised). However, the US is not the only "free" country in the world - most of the 190 or so countries in the world are free, and while you may be able to point to gun ownership or such like, Australians or Brits or Italians will be equally as "free" in terms of day to day life. In fact, as an example, I would argue that national healthcare in those countries means that people are more free to switch jobs, pursue business opportunities or even just to worry less.

Anyway, I realize that we are going off point a little..
What a laugh, the UK is a nanny state and your freedoms are not all there.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-07-2015 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: personal

Old 10-07-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
What am I "claiming" that we can't all agree upon? That we have the SCTUS to address the Constitutionality of legislation? I have trouble following you...

If I "claim" something that anyone feels is not true or unreasonable, I am more than glad to have this pointed out and learn why. In the same spirit, when I see others making unsubstantiated claims or claiming falsehoods, I say so.

Fair enough?
I addressed your claims and pointed out where I believed they were wrong. I guess since you didn't address that you agree. O.K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies