Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 07:04 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
How can you call yourself a constitutionalist if you want to deprive mentally ill citizens their right to bear arms? Isn't that gun regulation in itself?
We have always incarcerated people for breaking the law, and took away their liberty. How can you call yourself a constitutionalist if you want to deprive people of their freedom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 07:09 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
^ THIS

It is your right to own a MUSKET.

And no, i DO NOT think the founding fathers, as smart as they were, ever considered citizens owning automated weapons to the point of machine guns.
>>> And free speech means you can write what you want to say and print it on PAPER and post it publicly. The Founding Fathers never envisioned the internet, radio or television. Or you can say it on the street corner to any who will listen.
What the Founding Fathers DID consider was that citizens would be allowed weapons comparable to military arms of the day. Soldiers had muskets, citizens had muskets. If citizens are allowed only muskets, then I guess the military is constrained to only having them, too. Isis and the Taleban will love you for that.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:29 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
The problem is they do. Trying to r33fine what regulated is is trivia and dishonest.

B3 honest and say common sense gun control is repealing the second amendment.
It is definitely code for repealing the 2nd. Anti-gunners won't admit it, but that is their end game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Common sense gun control is using two hands.

Yep!

Old 10-02-2015, 07:32 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
How can you call yourself a constitutionalist if you want to deprive mentally ill citizens their right to bear arms? Isn't that gun regulation in itself?
Trying to drum up 'logic' to change the 2nd ammendment are you?

Old 10-02-2015, 07:41 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
^ THIS

It is your right to own a MUSKET.

And no, i DO NOT think the founding fathers, as smart as they were, ever considered citizens owning automated weapons to the point of machine guns.
Unless you pay through the nose and go through a serious background check you cannot own a machine gun, automatic guns come in all types not just those evil looking modular automatic rifles. FYI the Vast Majority of gun crimes are committed using handguns, not AR's. What is with people thinking banning AR's will somehow make them safer, there was a total ban on AR's when the shooters at Columbine murdered their fellow students and even law enforcement agencies across the Nation favored lifting te ban because it made little to no difference on crime. I would also add that when the President said tough gun controls make us safer and it is proven he was speaking out of ignorance and emotions, places such as Chicago have some of the toughest gun laws and it is a murder zone there. Criminals do not care about laws, gun laws or criminal laws. When is America going to learn that lesson and start using some common sense, put armed security in our schools and businesses and the killings will slow or stop completely, putting out a sign say a place is gun free is just putting out an invitation to any nutjob out there that wants to murder as many humans as they can.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:52 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
I consider myself pro 2nd amendment. But I don't think we would be gutting the constitution by making it harder for people with a history of mental illness to buy a firearm.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:11 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Common sense gun control is using two hands.
that can be difficult with some guns, like a derriginger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I consider myself pro 2nd amendment. But I don't think we would be gutting the constitution by making it harder for people with a history of mental illness to buy a firearm.
the keys words here being "with a history of". there again though we need to be careful not to infringe on the rights of law abiding citizens.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:42 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Not without due process to determine that they are a danger to themselves or others. If someone is so dangerous to fit in this category then they are not safe to be part of society anyways.
I agree. If someone is so violently mentally ill that they are a threat and should be restricted from legally purchasing a firearm, they are too much of a danger to have access to car keys, gasoline and matches, knives or baseball bats. The problem isn't the tool, it's the nutcase. What needs to be done is:

1) Identifying the truly violent
2) Defining a legal process that determines who qualifies as "violently mentally ill" and a legal process for involuntary institutionalization.
3) Re-opening facilities to house/treat them.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I agree. If someone is so violently mentally ill that they are a threat and should be restricted from legally purchasing a firearm, they are too much of a danger to have access to car keys, gasoline and matches, knives or baseball bats. The problem isn't the tool, it's the nutcase. What needs to be done is:

1) Identifying the truly violent
2) Defining a legal process that determines who qualifies as "violently mentally ill" and a legal process for involuntary institutionalization.
3) Re-opening facilities to house/treat them.
Perhaps so but we refuse to have that discussion.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:03 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,327,801 times
Here's some fun facts for Chicago. I hear they have tough gun laws.

Final September Totals
Shot & Killed: 58
Shot & Wounded: 303
Total Shot: 361
Total Homicides: 61

Keep in mind... that is just September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies