Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 10:01 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Second Amendment:

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

It is difficult for some to grasp what the founding fathers meant when they drew up this amendment.
My interpretation has always been based on the time the amendment was drawn up and adopted.
One has to understand that the war had just ended, and in the minds of the fathers, common people took up arms,and formed a militia to fight the British.

In that context, the people who took up arms to fight the British, were the "well regulated militia", and the fathers , by adopting the second amendment assured that the people who made up this 'well regulated militia" would have the right to bear arms.
I think the confusion is in "just who are the people"?

I do not believe the "people" meant each and every citizen of the country.
The amendment was aimed at the "people who formed a well regulated militia".
And there in lies the problem.
People for years have felt the fathers meant ALL people, when in fact it is only those who had formed a well regulated militia to ward of the British that the amendment was intended for.

Bob.
Wow, must take real talent to be so consistently wrong about everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 10:11 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,096,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
How can you call yourself a constitutionalist if you want to deprive mentally ill citizens their right to bear arms? Isn't that gun regulation in itself?
I don't call myself a constitutionalist. Loonies shouldn't have guns for the same reason all speech isn't protected...it creates a public hazard.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:30 AM

283 posts, read 521,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Why are there so many mentally ill people on the street? Well, we can thank Reagan for that one. Today if you suspect a family member is going off the deep end and you don't have money or good insurance there is nothing you can do but wait until that family member commits a crime.
When Reagan shut down the mental institutions they gave their patient a 30 day supply of pills and sent they on their way. Most were in the prison system with in the first six months and the remainder were the beginning of the homeless. Reagan did not save a dime he merely shifted the cost from the mental health arena to the prison system.

Did Reagan’s Crazy Mental Health Policies Cause Today’s Homelessness? – Poverty Insights
Why do people think this was a bad thing?

I've heard about this several times across the internet, and it's like the people who bring it up are oblivious to the obvious fact that NO ONE WANTS TO BE INSTITUTIONALIZED.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:34 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,522,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Wow, must take real talent to be so consistently wrong about everything.
Let's have you go point by point and explain how the post you're criticizing is wrong in any way. Mirror much?

Old 10-05-2015, 09:51 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Let's have you go point by point and explain how the post you're criticizing is wrong in any way. Mirror much?
Why should I waste my time refuting lefty trash that no one with an IQ higher than a brick believes for a second.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
Why do people think this was a bad thing?

I've heard about this several times across the internet, and it's like the people who bring it up are oblivious to the obvious fact that NO ONE WANTS TO BE INSTITUTIONALIZED.
The courts closed down the institutions. I've related the story about the mental institution that was in my state.......Now granted, the early history was not pretty, but that can be said of a lot of things.......

In the years before it closed they had a farm that the people who lived their worked to make an income for themselves and the hospital.....it also gave them a skill for when they were able to leave. They also created other things for the same reason.

The courts ruled that it was illegal to make the patients work for their keep and to help maintain the hospital. It soon was forced to close. It closed in 1994.....well after Reagan left office.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:36 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Second Amendment:

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

It is difficult for some to grasp what the founding fathers meant when they drew up this amendment.
My interpretation has always been based on the time the amendment was drawn up and adopted.
One has to understand that the war had just ended, and in the minds of the fathers, common people took up arms,and formed a militia to fight the British.

In that context, the people who took up arms to fight the British, were the "well regulated militia", and the fathers , by adopting the second amendment assured that the people who made up this 'well regulated militia" would have the right to bear arms.
I think the confusion is in "just who are the people"?

I do not believe the "people" meant each and every citizen of the country.
The amendment was aimed at the "people who formed a well regulated militia".
And there in lies the problem.
People for years have felt the fathers meant ALL people, when in fact it is only those who had formed a well regulated militia to ward of the British that the amendment was intended for.

Bob.
Would that imply that the only people that had the right of free speech was the PEOPLE in media?

The only ones that had freedom of religion were the PEOPLE that were church members?

The only PEOPLE that could not be forced to quarter troops were inn keepers?

The only PEOPLE who had protection from search and seizure were politicians?

Or, perhaps, did "the people" referred to in the 2nd amendment mean the same as it did in every other one of the bill of rights where "the people" were referred to?

Old 10-05-2015, 03:42 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Rediculous.

The founding fathers knew that weapons technology would evolve because weapons had evolved in the centuries before the constitution was written.

The muskets and cannon of the time were more accurate, reliable and faster to load than weaponry of a century earlier.

There was even prototype automatic weapons being developed.

The founding fathers were smart enough to know that weapons technology would continue to advance.
exhibit A

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

Old 10-06-2015, 05:33 AM

943 posts, read 782,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
How can you call yourself a constitutionalist if you want to deprive mentally ill citizens their right to bear arms? Isn't that gun regulation in itself?
Free speech laws have restrictions like defemation and harassment. Why wouldn't gun rights. And by the way the second amendment refers to militias, not private gun ownership.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Free speech laws have restrictions like defemation and harassment. Why wouldn't gun rights. And by the way the second amendment refers to militias, not private gun ownership.
The Supreme Court disagree's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies