Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 10:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That is NOT quite what they said.

* Defensive gun use is a fact but it is difficult to count accurately.

* The National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) has estimated that there are between 60,000 and 105,000 DGUs per year. Between the years 1992 and 1994, the NCVS reported there were in total 116,000 DGUs.

* Kleck and Gertz (1995) estimated the annual occurrence of DGUs to be around 2.5 million per year.

* The CDC report made no effort to reconcile the differing estimates of DGUs, except to note that the estimate provided by the Kleck group was larger by an order of magnitude than the estimate arising from the NCVS. The CDC report noted that the estimate of DGU provided by the Kleck group is twice again as large as the estimate of the Dept. of Justice that there are 1.3 million crimes committed with a gun in the USA every year.

Please note the last paragraph which points out the ludicrous claim of 2.5 million defensive gun incidents a year which is twice the number of reported gun crimes - so did two people stop every crime committed in the US with their gun?
You can use a gun to stop a crime when the other person doesn't have a gun, like when someone has a knife as an example.

Even anti gunners found the methodology of Kleck sound

Criminologist Marvin Wolfgang, who described himself "as strong a gun-control advocate as can be found among the criminologists in this country" and whose opinion of guns was "I would eliminate all guns from the civilian population and maybe even from the police. I hate guns--ugly, nasty instruments designed to kill people" defended Kleck's methodology, saying "What troubles me is the article by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz. The reason I am troubled is that they have provided an almost clear-cut case of methodologically sound research in support of something I have theoretically opposed for years, namely, the use of a gun in defense against a criminal perpetrator". He went on to say that the NCVS survey did not contradict the Kleck study and that "I do not like their conclusions that having a gun can be useful, but I cannot fault their methodology. They have tried earnestly to meet all objections in advance and have done exceedingly well." [16][17]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_gun_use
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 10:10 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I think you guys just like to argue.
I have made a recommendation severe times and no one listens ,I figured out why . you don't want an answer you just want to argue. Here it is again,, Plea bargaining has got to go, as well as using the insanity plea, and age discriminations should also be removed . Liberals , lawyers and judges that do not up hold the law, and create loopholes are not on the side of the vicim or the honest citizen. Firing squad is direct and final, no question the convict is going to die, more merciful than they deserve.
oh geezus...you really don't know much about the criminal justice system, do you? The insanity defense is extraordinarily limited, it is raised in less than 1% of cases and is successful in a very small number of cases where it's raised. The more common verdict is "guilty but mentally ill" which allows the offender to serve time in a mental institution until such time they are sane enough to serve their sentence in prison.

Plea bargaining benefits the courts, it is not a 'get out of jail free card' but rather a tool with which the prosecution can get a guilty verdict in cases where they are almost sure they would lose at trial.

As far as liberals, lawyers and judges who do not hold up the law - what the heck does that mean, and how are liberals now responsible for court proceedings? Lawyers have rules of conduct, if they violate them they lose their license. Judges have far less discretion in sentencing than you give them credit for, and if their sentences are so out of line that they offend the public, they can be recalled, or pressured into resigning.

I feel very strongly about this: We are a nation of laws, and the laws that protect the rights of the accused protect all of us.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:16 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I feel very strongly about this: We are a nation of laws, and the laws that protect the rights of the accused protect all of us.

why do we have over 15 million Foreign Nationals illegally in our country and politicians in Washington from the President down refusing to enforce immigration laws?

How about the sanctuary cities? We are a Nation of laws???? Sure.....

Old 10-08-2015, 10:32 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
why do we have over 15 million Foreign Nationals illegally in our country and politicians in Washington from the President down refusing to enforce immigration laws?
How about the sanctuary cities? We are a Nation of laws???? Sure.....
That has nothing to do with my post, I'm not going to start a new argument within a thread, in my opinion that is thread crapping...but if you want to discuss either, feel free to start a new thread.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yes, let's do this math.

45 killed this year by "mass shooters". In the USA this is a whopping 0.000014%.

i.e. It's a bogyman created to push gun control on the people by incompetent and pandering politicians.

I get the stats, they just don't work for everyone, you know the people who actually got shot and their family members. Calling those people basically meaningless, doesn't really help anyone.

It's like telling a family member who lost a loved on 9/11, oh well, statistically they shouldn't have died that way. As a gun owner and Hunter, I'll go with bad people do bad things, and when they want too there isn't much we can do about it, but it doesn't mean there isn't anything we can do about it, that's why I carry wherever I go.

I've been jumped twice while carrying and didn't pull my gun either time, but if I ever feel my wife and or kids life is at risk whomever the perp is, they better get me first because God have mercy on them if they don't.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:45 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,575 times
"Cradle to grave registration" of all guns. Record all subsequent sales of guns between private sellers, similar to what is done with automobiles.
Police have responsibility to confiscate and destroy unregistered weapons in the routine course of their other work. So if you are arrested with the possession of an unregistered weapon on your person, you won't ever see it again. Don't want that to happen? Register your guns. Lock them up securely and insure yourself against the possibility of their theft and use by an unauthorized user. Take responsibility for the weapons you own.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:04 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Some sensible laws are certainly needed, but they could only do so much about what the real problem here is.

School Shootings: What’s Different About Europe? - Sociological Images

Old 10-09-2015, 05:40 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times

Old 10-09-2015, 05:41 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I haven't heard a single helpful idea yet.
Everybody just keeps saying we must do "something."
"Something" is usually as specific as it gets.
Keep and bear arms, but do it sensibly. Here's a workable proposal from a gun owner in Israel who posted on Facebook:

Yael Shahar
October 2 at 9:53am · Edited ·
I spent most of Wednesday renewing my gun license. Contrary to what many in the U.S. believe, owning a firearm in Israel is neither common nor easy. Applying for a license is a grueling process, often taking months of security checks and training courses. Keeping that license requires an investment of time, effort, and money.
And so, on Wednesday morning I drove into the nearest town to get the necessary forms signed by my family doctor, who certified that I’m not taking any medication that might impair my alertness, that I have no history of psychological disorders, and that I’m more or less in my right mind--at least most of the time.
And then it was off to the shooting range. Together with 15 others I stood in line for half an hour to have my designated self-defense weapon examined, tested for any malfunctions that would endanger myself or passersby. The serial number was matched with the paperwork to make sure the weapon was legally mine and had not been put on any watch lists. Another 40-minute wait (part of it spent in the Sukkah outside the range schmoozing with a Polish veteran of 4 wars) and we were ushered into the range for our training session.
The session was conducted by someone whom I knew as an instructor back in my days in the Police Sniper Unit. He went over changes to the laws of owning a firearm: “If your weapon is stolen from your house and you cannot prove that a safe was broken open to get at the weapon, then you are a criminal and may do jail time.” And if we ever have to use a weapon in self-defense? “You had better be certain that you had no other recourse, that you did what you could to warn the attacker, and that had you not taken action, at least one innocent life could have been lost. And you may still expect to do jail time.”
We spent about an hour at practice, refreshing our ability to deal with safety issues and malfunctions, honing our skills. One by one, we were certified as competent and sent out to collect our paperwork, duly stamped and fed into the computer, from which it would go into some government database. The process took up most of the day.
I thought of all this when I read of yet another (reportedly, the 294th this year: http://www.washingtonpost.com/.../20...s-294-mass.../) mass shooting in the United States—this time at a small community college in Oregon. Four firearms…. An attention-seeking, f-cked up excuse for a human being walked into a classroom with four firearms. There is something seriously wrong about a system where a disturbed young man can acquire deadly weapons as easily as buying a new laptop.
I live in a country with wars raging on all sides, with failed states collapsing into a primordial stew of hatred and nihilism an hour’s drive north of me, with suicidal regimes seeking nuclear weapons in order to carry out their expressed goals of obliterating me, my family, and everyone with whom I interact on a daily basis. But for all this, I don’t feel as if I’m living in a war zone. Life goes on, without hysteria and without undue pessimism.
And the U.S.? A country bounded by friendly regimes or by neutral water… apparently when one lacks natural enemies, a nation can simply become its own enemy.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:32 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
We could make it illegal to possess or use a gun.

Just like back in 1937 the government made it illegal to possess or use marijuana and not a single person has since.

Simple prohibition always works perfectly. Everybody knows that.

F#@! idiots.

Apparently its the new gun trend on facebook and online, to say "yeah your f'd anyway. Why fall on your sword" by comparing guns to inelastic goods like drugs, alcohol, or sex

Marijuana and guns aren't similar. People can't Grow guns in their basement. Cartels can't build guns. and if guns were illegal. . .(lets say cartels started putting together AK47) you would see price hikes on the black market that would put the guns out of the market of ANY crazy person

Maybe a few criminals would procure, but the average person who uses a gun for suicide, homicide, etc. would not Gun use (even by bad guys) would go down so significantly due to the risk of losing these now valuable items.

So lets stop pretending that you can grow guns in basements. You can point to anyone of 20 countries who have used regulation to significantly reduce their risk of gun homicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies