Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 07:45 AM

25,913 posts, read 16,638,818 times

Advertisements

Their ultimate goal is to put old people down like horses. These people love late term abortion, don't doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 07:50 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,821,204 times
Suicide is illegal.... Put the perp in jail!!

Another feel good law, that is not enforceable!!

Old 10-09-2015, 07:54 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,127,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The premise of the OP is silly. This is about personal freedom and liberty - the decision to make your own decisions about your health and your life.

But be sure to confiscate my gun.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:57 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,988,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Suicide is illegal.... Put the perp in jail!!

Another feel good law, that is not enforceable!!
One would hope this is not the case......I am under the understanding one is near death's door already.

Although, I find it strange the left supports this and not the death of a person on death row, who most likely deserves to check out.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:12 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,397,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
OK, so tell me. Exactly what do you mean by fearing that the gov will be "getting their dirty little finger in it"?

The request for the medication originates with the person. The person then must find two doctors who will verify that they have 6 months or less to live. The person must then buy the prescription. Once the prescription s obtained, the person must then decide to take it. The person must then take it her/him self - no one else is allowed to administer it.

Where in all this does the gov interfere????
It's my opinion the government of California will receive money from it. You show me Oregon's law but I can't find California's law, Is it written? I could be wrong but i doubt it. Are there laws to cover a persons life insurance, suicide is not covered under life insurance, is there a stipulation in this suicide law to reverse that? there is more to it than just having a doctor give you a pill, the government has to cover those things so there is no way to keep them out. what has California passed to cover the life insurance issue? can any doctor say you only have 6 month's to live? can any doctor hand out the poison? or do you have to go to a specific doctor? are all doctors required to hand out the death pill, some probably wouldn't want to, are they protected? See what i mean? how do you keep the government out of it? It's just not that simple.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:18 AM

42,823 posts, read 26,552,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
One would hope this is not the case......I am under the understanding one is near death's door already. Although, I find it strange the left supports this and not the death of a person on death row, who most likely deserves to check out.
Not as strange as I think it is that a conservative who thinks abortion of a non viable fetus is murder but has no problem with the disposal of millions of fertilized embryos in IVF clinics...I'm still waiting to hear when the magic happens and a fetus gains it's soul.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:21 AM

42,823 posts, read 26,552,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It's my opinion the government of California will receive money from it. You show me Oregon's law but I can't find California's law, Is it written? I could be wrong but i doubt it. Are there laws to cover a persons life insurance, suicide is not covered under life insurance, is there a stipulation in this suicide law to reverse that? there is more to it than just having a doctor give you a pill, the government has to cover those things so there is no way to keep them out. what has California passed to cover the life insurance issue? can any doctor say you only have 6 month's to live? can any doctor hand out the poison? or do you have to go to a specific doctor? are all doctors required to hand out the death pill, some probably wouldn't want to, are they protected? See what i mean? how do you keep the government out of it? It's just not that simple.
Here you go Today's Law As Amended

Old 10-09-2015, 08:27 AM

5,176 posts, read 4,813,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Nice wording - "Brown and the Democrats". You want everyone to know that such liberty - the right to chose one's own fate - is anathema to Republicans, the party that never stops bleating about how much it supposedly cherishes freedom.

All I can say is... spot on!

Let's see... because capital punishment in California is currently under a moratorium imposed by a federal judge? Do you not understand that the state can thus not carry out executions until that moratorium is lifted? Do you have any idea at all what you're talking about?

Oh, and as for that federal judge? He is one Cormac Carney, who was both appointed to the District Court by Republican President George W. Bush and confirmed by the Republican-controlled United States Senate in 2003.

So, let's sum up:
You're complaining about an expansion of liberty, all the while demanding to know why California Democrats don't execute people in direct violation of a lawful court order issued by a Republican appointee. Are you about done, or would you like to dig that hole a little deeper?
Not to quibble, but giving death row inmates suicide pills is Not the same as executing them. It is giving them choice. You ARE pro choice, arent you?

Old 10-09-2015, 08:43 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,850,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Dunno about the insurance questions (life insurance and medication costs), those are interesting. I can say that none of the articles I've read about people choosing this don't mention it (and the Oregonian has published quite a few over the years), so these issues must not come up regularly.

"can any doctor say you only have 6 month's to live?" These kinds of prognoses are given all the time. No, they're not infallible, but they are the best we've got. A person I know made use of Washington's law recently. After years of treatment, his cancer had progressed to Stage IV. We do know that some things are death sentences. Note that with physician-assisted suicide, a person diagnosed with, say, Parkinson's, most likely would not be able to make use of this law. By the time a person with Parkinson's was down to her/his last 6 months, s/he would be physically unable to take the medication her/himself.

"can any doctor hand out the poison? or do you have to go to a specific doctor?" Any doctor who can prescribe medication can write this prescription.

"are all doctors required to hand out the death pill, some probably wouldn't want to, are they protected?" No doctor is *ever* required to prescribe anything and everything that a patient wants. Some doctors won't prescribe a lethal dose. Just like some doctors won't prescribe medical marijuana. Or prescribe prozac. Or any other drug they don't like.

If you're worried about government intrusion, you should *support* this law. It means that, should you choose suicide for yourself, you know that your doctors and your loved ones won't be charged with murder or manslaughter after you're dead.

Last edited by jacqueg; 10-09-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 08:45 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,850,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
One would hope this is not the case......I am under the understanding one is near death's door already.

Although, I find it strange the left supports this and not the death of a person on death row, who most likely deserves to check out.

The difference is choice. Obviously.

Edited to add - why do you assume that physician-assisted suicide is a liberal issue? Support for it crosses all partisan boundaries. As does opposition to it.

Edited to add - http://field.com/fieldpollonline/sub...rs/RLS2155.pdf

Last edited by jacqueg; 10-09-2015 at 08:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies