Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won the first democratic debate?
Clinton 61 36.53%
Sanders 71 42.51%
O'Malley 4 2.40%
Webb 27 16.17%
Chaffee 4 2.40%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 06:41 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It has been pointed out over and over again the more the government gets involved in making education "affordable" the more expensive it gets.
Why is that I wonder?
Could it be the more the government (we) pays the more universities raise their fees?
If you honestly believe that causation/correlation , then the problem by your own logic, is the Universities not government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 06:53 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If you honestly believe that causation/correlation , then the problem by your own logic, is the Universities not government.
They are both a problem.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:

This argument doesnt work for multiple reasons, the main one being that You can not simply throw out half of your religious teachings just because you cant win a debate when it is included, the first half of the bible is still Christianity.

If it were not Christianity, then it would not be included in the Holy Bible, nor would it be taught to those who call themselves Christians.
I'm sorry that you still do not understand. Probably not your fault. Perhaps I failed to make it clear.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I'm sorry that you still do not understand. Probably not your fault. Perhaps I failed to make it clear.
I fully understood your argument, I just completely disagree with it.

THen there are also those pesky "eternal" Christians who argue that Jesus always existed. They throw a wrench in your argument as well.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
They are both a problem.
Not in the opinion of the person I was responding to.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
They are both a problem.
Exactly right! Every time government tuition assistance goes up so does tuition. Cause and effect.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I fully understood your argument, I just completely disagree with it.

THen there are also those pesky "eternal" Christians who argue that Jesus always existed. They throw a wrench in your argument as well.
One can understand something intellectually, and completely miss it on the spiritual level; not realizing that, they misuse and misapply scripture. We see it here all the time.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:52 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Default Cause/effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It has been pointed out over and over again the more the government gets involved in making education "affordable" the more expensive it gets.
Why is that I wonder?
Could it be the more the government (we) pays the more universities raise their fees?
Could be, but maybe a little more involved. In any case, to suggest the cause of higher education costs are due to government assistance is much like blaming higher health care costs on government.

Lots of reasons, and unfortunately, if government does not step in to help the more average (less advantaged) young American afford college, then only the more wealthy privileged kids get theirs. Not sure that's what we want either.

Question is how best to make college affordable, maybe not so much who to blame for the higher costs (though that too).

Maybe Canada has the answer, the most educated country, with almost half its citizens able to earn a college degree...

Old 10-21-2015, 07:55 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Default What we see.

Quote:
One can understand something intellectually, and completely miss it on the spiritual level; not realizing that, they misuse and misapply scripture. We see it here all the time.
We see it all over the World!

Maybe the problem is too little use of intellect, regardless the sense of spirit...

Old 10-21-2015, 09:38 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,726 times
Quote:
The government needs to stay out of everything except what the Constitution actually names as where Federal Government can function...PERIOD! Education is NOT one of those.

If we can't get government's destructive interference out of "loaning $'s" for college/university tuition, then it is parents that should stop it. This government-loan mess has put youngsters so far into debt before they even get out of school it will take them years to pay it off and some will never be free. Terrible interference by government. ONLY private-sector loans should ever be used and if it takes 1 or 2 years and then go to work an pay off the debt or save for the next 2 years, that's how each generation learns how to handle their finances properly. A post above indicated only the "rich" could afford higher education. BULL! For decades those wanting higher education...who were NOT RICH...simply worked and save for it. I know a couple people who actually slept in phone booths in cities in order to save $'s to pay their tuition. They all worked hard for their degrees and all that I know who were determined...who were NOT rich...turned their lives into wonderfully productive lives and were fantastic citizens. Poor me is not an excuse. It is the individual's makeup, determination and working for accomplishment that determines one's future.

Even how to handle credit-card debt needs to be understood. I have had credit cards since the 1970's and I never charge any more on my cards than I can pay "IN FULL" at the end of the month (or billing period). I NEVER pay interest. If you want something you can't pay for within that month, save the $'s and buy when you have that amount. There are a few exceptions, such as a vehicle or house or very large expenditure equivalent. However, even there not going into debt works if you figure it out. I lived in a 20' x 40' mobile home for 27 years to save $'s to build a house. We never borrowed $'s to build, but paid with the savings and finished by saving and pay as you go. I now have a gorgeous house and have saved over $100,000 in mortgage interest not paid. May not work for everything that way, but these figures should give food for thought to anyone considering going into debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies