Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 09:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Her foster parent/s would not be allowed to comment by law - nor should they.
Which has nothing to do with the fact that the poster claimed there were comments from the parents in that story when there clearly were not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
That's not true. Her parents have spoken out.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2414453

I think people just make stuff up on here without doing any kind of research.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:36 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
Police always taking this situations to another level

Old 10-29-2015, 09:38 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, someone did, although I forget the poster's name.

She suggested that the cop could have just pulled the entire desk/chair out of the room with the student in it. I believe he was strong enough to do that.
Actually, that sounds like it would have been the best thing to do at the time.

She would have either been taken into the hall with the desk or forced her to stand up allowing him to pull her out of the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Police always taking this situations to another level
Always? Are you certain of that?

Nothing beats stereotyping,

Old 10-29-2015, 09:41 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Bull****. You guys know the rules. You know who the asswipes are, but that thin blue line indoctrination sucked you all in. Are you telling me that you think the cop was justified when he chucked that girl across the floor? Because he didn't have hands or control on her at that point. His temper had him. She was three feet away because he had flung her. Gun? Game over.

You know this. You don't need me to tell you this. He's ill suited to be a cop at a school.
It was an isolated incident that is being used to smear "cops" in general …

It makes the headlines because it IS "news," with means by definition, it is UNUSUAL … But instead, it is a story that is whacked whacked whacked relentlessly in an effort to denigrate -- and deactivate -- ALL "cops" …

See: the FBI director's comments about "The Ferguson Effect" ...

Old 10-29-2015, 09:49 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
… thus hurting his back … and damaging the floor …
If you can toss a body and not hurt your back, than you can drag a desk with someone(who isn't obese) sitting it in a few feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
As opposed to national disgrace and losing his job.
LOL.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:09 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
… thus hurting his back … and damaging the floor …
Ha ha!

Have you never moved a piece of furniture?

Did you even notice the walls of that classroom are made of cinder block? I doubt the floor is delicate.

Silly, silly, silly.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:10 AM

50,810 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cquiller1 View Post
Someone providing explanations as to why the girl may be acting out is NOT excusing her behavior. She most definitely was wrong not to comply with orders. But the way the officer handled the situation was even more wrong IMO because 1.) He's supposed to be trained to deal with people who resists orders and/or arrest, 2.) He is twice the size of that girl. You mean to tell me that the only way he could get her out of her seat was to drag her after the desk fell backwards? If a parent had dragged their teenager across the floor because they refused to leave someplace, that parent would be locked up for child abuse. What would be deemed unacceptable for a parent to do to their child should certainly be deemed unacceptable for a cop to do. Yes, the officer has been fired, but he really should be charged with assault IMO.
This is a problem that we've had on this thread. If we criticize the cop's actions, some of our posters are so short-sighted (it took me several minutes to come up with that term, as opposed to words I would have preferred to use) that they believe it means we are condoning the girl's behavior. All too many Americans seem to think everything in life is either/or. The girl's actions were foolish. The cop's actions went way beyond foolish.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:14 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Ha ha!

(1) Have you never moved a piece of furniture?

(2) Did you even notice the walls of that classroom are made of cinder block? I doubt the floor is delicate.

Silly, silly, silly.
(1) Yes, of course, through the years i have moved many pieces of furniture -- as carefully as possible -- and moving something like a chair WITHOUT dragging it across the color with a full size person sitting in it …
(duh)

(2) Generally, even in a building in which the walls are "cinderblock," the floors are NOT "cinderblock" …
(duh)

Old 10-29-2015, 10:19 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
(1) Yes, of course, through the years i have moved many pieces of furniture -- as carefully as possible -- and moving something like a chair WITHOUT dragging it across the color with a full size person sitting in it …
(duh)

(2) Generally, even in a building in which the walls are "cinderblock," the floors are NOT "cinderblock" …
(duh)
No. The floors are probably concrete.

Sliding a desk/chair across the floor would have been much easier on his back than the knock-down, drag-out he had with the student.

Oops! Seems like there are no straws left to grab!

Old 10-29-2015, 10:19 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Experts say school resource officers often have inadequate training in dealing with teenagers, defusing tensions, and keeping a sense of proportion when handling minors in the absence of immediate danger. Some local lawyers have raised such concerns about Richland School District Two and have asked Ms. Thurau’s group to step in. But she said the Sheriff’s Department did not respond to her offer last spring to train school deputies.
Rough Student Arrest Puts Spotlight on School Police
I hope something positive comes out of this incident. If schools are going to have LEO working in and for the school system the powers that be be need to come to a consensus on what the officers specific job duty entails and standard protocol and mandatory training on how to deal with specific situations. IMO teachers and administrators should also have specific guidelines on when it is appropriate to call in an SRO. Those procedures, duties and training need to be enforced for every school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies