Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:29 AM

8,637 posts, read 9,152,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
IT does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that the health care brought about by the ACA was worse than most could get on the free market prior to that. between premium and deductibles it is only going to make medical bankruptcies worse, and force true government healthcare down our throats once people can not longer handle the mess of Obamacare.
Not all true, for some perhaps. In my situation before the ACA (pre-existing condition) our medical bills amounted to a 6 figure debt. So, in our case if the ACA was around at the time we would not have come close to bankruptcy. However, since the creation of the ACA deductibles have increased almost 70% in the past 5 years. To me the ACA is more like catastrophic coverage with a high monthly premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 06:31 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,969,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Obamacare is a ruse. An expensive one.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/15...less.html?_r=0
The first thing I ask when I read about people complaining about their premiums is, do they get a subsidy?

The market reality is that one has a choice of lower premiums traded off for higher deductibles. This is no different than pre-Obamacare, except that before Obamacare one could buy a policy, pay little and get very little coverage.

This is also something to note:
Quote:
On average, consumers can expect modest increases of about 5.6 percent from last year according to PriceWaterhouseCooper, which analyzed data from 43 states and Washington D.C.

To be sure, health premiums increase each year and have long before Obamacare. Now, health experts say that because of several provisions in the law, premium price growth is actually slowing.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:34 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The first thing I ask when I read about people complaining about their premiums is, do they get a subsidy?

The market reality is that one has a choice of lower premiums traded off for higher deductibles. This is no different than pre-Obamacare, except that before Obamacare one could buy a policy, pay little and get very little coverage.
And how is that not exactly what some people needed to meet their insurance needs?

Like I said, I and many other people I know needed only inexpensive catastrophic plans while self-funding routine medical care (which wouldn't meet Obamacare plan deductibles anyway) that costs MUCH less than Obamacare premiums.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:36 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,774,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Remember the names of the demlegislators who thought passing this legislation without reading or understanding it was a good idea.

We have to pass it to see what was in it legislative strategy opens the position of congressman or senator to anyone who might be illterate or blind with no finger tips.

Have a loved one or pal you think would be a good legislator encourage them to run for office. In the words of HRC, 'what does it matter?'.

We have to pass it to see what was in it
-- Nancy Pelosi

Premiums Will Decrease 3000% So You Should Get A Raise When H'care Is Passed
-- Barack Obama

Old 11-16-2015, 06:36 AM

8,637 posts, read 9,152,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

From
Many factors play into the cost of coverage. Such as states that do participate, those that do not. What state they are in = what plans are available. Individual=family plans and the age of the participant.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:37 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,231,655 times
High Deductibles are like stock losses. If you need them you can save over no coverage. or catastrophic coverage.

You do not lose money on a good stock as long as you do not panic and sell when its at the lowest.

You only have to worry about high deductibles if you have health care issues. If you are healthy and younger find a lower cost. If your family has health issues look at higher cost with lower deductibles. Real simple stuff.

Insurance is only a good thing when you need it. When you do need it it is great.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:37 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Premiums Will Decrease 3000%
-- Barack Obama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUd-...r_embedded#t=5
Anyone get their 3,000% premium reduction yet?

Old 11-16-2015, 06:38 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,250,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Obamacare is a ruse. An expensive one.
... heads-up for the twelve people in this country who still haven't figured that out yet

Old 11-16-2015, 06:39 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,774,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Premiums Will Decrease 3000% So You Should Get A Raise When H'care Is Passed
-- Barack Obama

Anyone get their 3,000% premium reduction yet?

Anyone get a raise because Obamacare policies are cheaper LOL. Many people lost jobs though.

Obamacare sucks!

Old 11-16-2015, 06:42 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Why the shock? For-profit insurance is predicated on the premise that one will not use its insurance but pay the premium,
Not true at all. The business model for insurance assumes millions of people will use the insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies