Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:42 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,741,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Tell that to Consumer Reports. They didn't get the memo that it was disproved.

Moreover, claiming something was debunked, without showing how it was debunked, is nothing but a self-serving declaration.
Kirsten Powers, an avid Dem and Obama supporter, has flat out told people like you to quit lying.

Quote:
Kirsten Powers lashed out at the White House – and, by extension, her Democratic cohorts – for implying that her consumer choices were poorly informed and insufficiently focused on the collective good.

“My blood pressure goes up every time they say that they’re protecting us from substandard health insurance plans,” Powers told Bret Baier. “There is nothing to support what they’re saying.”

“I have talked to about how I’m losing my health insurance,” she continued. “If I want to keep the same health insurance, it’s going to cost twice as much. There’s nothing substandard about my plan.”

“All of the things they say that are not in my plan are in my plan,” Powers lamented. “All of the things they have listed — there’s no explanation for doubling my premiums other than the fact that it’s subsidizing other people. They need to be honest about that.”
Media’s Obamacare Supporters Vent About Their Cancelled Health Plans | Mediaite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,040 posts, read 2,565,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I loved my old "junk policy" when I was in law school. It's now illegal under Obamacare, but it was perfect for my needs- I chose a high deductible ($2,000, low by today's standards) and excluded certain coverages, such as chemotherapy and child birth, and the premiums were $200 per month ($2,400/yr). It was perfect insurance to get me from the age of 26 until starting my legal job shortly thereafter. I was protected from falls, accidents, major illnesses; basically everything except the chemotherapy aspect of cancer (other treatments still covered). Oh, and I bought it on a website called "ehealthinsurance.com" which was essentially an "exchange", years before Obama "created" the exchanges.

I recently checked the premium for the obamacare approved version of that plan, and it's now over $700 per month ($8,400/yr) with a $5,000 deductible, and the co-insurance rate is higher once the deductible is met. But now chemotherapy is included.

Thank god Obama is protecting us from all of those horrible "junk plans".

Yeah it is really a joke.

My premiums have literally more than doubled since this AFFORDABLE? Care Act was passed.

Not only has my premiums doubled but EVERY co-pay has also increased by almost 100%.

I certainly cannot afford to pay most co-pays now that my premium has risen so sharply.
It is like I don't have insurance anymore, yet I am forced to pay such an exorbitant amount each month.

89,311 posts, read 45,033,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not really. They are only junk because Obama outlawed them.

Millions of people today have "junk" policies that are blessed by Obama. You pay thousands of dollars per year in premiums and never get a dime back unless you have a catastrophy. That's exactly the same as the old "junk" policies.
Actually, they're worse because the Obamacare plan premiums are MUCH higher.

2,528 posts, read 1,661,054 times
American health system is sick.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, 2014 Update: How the U.S. Health Care System Compares Internationally - The Commonwealth Fund

Old 11-16-2015, 07:43 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,980,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Or he could have done what most people do. They buy term and spend the difference.
That's true. But it really does bother me that people are really getting a much lower investment rate than they could get on their own.

This is how the insurance company makes money. They can predict that over the next 20 or 30 years the average annual return on their investments will be, as an example, 6%. So, they give whole life policy holders 2 or 3%. The difference is earned by the insurance company. While a prudent investor would be earning 6%.

But I guess, if someone can't save money, being forced to save through a premium is worth a couple of percent.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:43 AM

23,611 posts, read 17,300,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
An inexpensive catastrophic plan is exactly that. It pays medical expenses for a catastrophic injury/illness. People who buy them KNOW that, and self-fund routine medical care. You'd have to assume people are stupid to assert what you have. Not everyone is stupid. MANY of us have done our research and purchased exactly the kind of insurance we needed.

How very telling that you think you and the Dems need to cater to the stupid...
The way presented the coverage is not how the PPACA was marketed by obama.

Of course the dems never read or understood the policy so they can't be responsible forthe misleading marketing of the PPACA.

That the dems are continually surprised by the details of the PPACA is telling.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:44 AM

89,311 posts, read 45,033,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Oh, and Roadking- you're totally right. Obama turned what was a decent catastrophic plan into a total junk plan- it used to cost $4,400 out of pocket before coverage kicked in and now requires $13,400 out of pocket before paying a dime. Obamacare is one of the greatest scams perpetrated on society.
Exactly.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:48 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,626,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Anyone get their 3,000% premium reduction yet?
I was just laughcrying while doing mine this year. Seems cost is up and so are deductibles.
This does help all who get sent on the welfare escalator for state health but for those of us who are middle class we get this...
Married with a couple of kids making 60,0000 a year pays 1150 a month with a 5000 to 10000 deductible. Once deductible is meant then you pay 30% of the rest. Oh, and might I add it covers pretty much nothing, and there are no doctors around who take it.

70,000, 3 kids, 1400 a month, 6000 deductible, 20% after deductible. Only covers certain things, no dental, no eyeglasses.

I could go on and on but you all know. Plus, all subsidies will end next year and you'll pay more. So, get ready to go bankrupt to afford your healthcare emergency insurance.

It seems illegal to pull this off as helpful, it really does.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:50 AM

78,657 posts, read 60,852,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Why the shock? For-profit insurance is predicated on the premise that one will not use its insurance but pay the premium, while the client bets they will use it, because in this situation it is the delivery of health care, not life, car, property insurance. Of course people are going to use it frequently, so what is the equalizer? Co-pays and deductibles. After all pre-existing conditions do not apply anymore. Invest in Insurance stock.
They should do well due to the increasing number of insured people. More sales, same profit margins....more revenue, more profit, higher stock price.

However, please stop and think hard how they profit when people "self insure" by taking big deductibles?

They don't.

The HOPE for purchasers like us is that medical costs level out because those of us that have always bought insurance are no longer carrying the unpaid bills of others to such an extent as before. (Except for illegals and their families lol)

But the lies they told to sell it were hilarious, that you could add people with pre-exisiting and lower prices....lmao.

Might eventually be offset by younger people and the increasing penalty forcing them to buy insurance (I know several that still just take the minor penalty). Nothing like the looooong phase in to avoid any political backlash but oh well.

Last edited by Mathguy; 11-16-2015 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 07:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,323,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Tell that to Consumer Reports. They didn't get the memo that it was disproved.

Moreover, claiming something was debunked, without showing how it was debunked, is nothing but a self-serving declaration.
Nobody believes that the vast majority of cancelled policies were junk, not even you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies