Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 07:58 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Right, this is the practice that we are seeing. Get them early and then hire upon graduation if they have proven themselves to be a good fit for the company/organization/agency.
And make sure they sign the most restrictive non-compete possible while they are still just happy to get a job after graduation.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:02 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Federal Government is actively hiring and seeking young people and most agencies will pay your student loan.
All agencies will pay your student loan. If you stay there uninterrupted for 10 straight years and deal with frozen wages, furloughs, and site moves (or live in DC).
Of course, the tricky part is getting your security clearance in the first place which requires either military or selling your soul to a contractor for a few years.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:23 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Ball View Post
I will bring up my main question again:

Does anyone remember what the people online used to say when there were articles about the low unemployment rate during the last economic booms with their low offical unemployment rates in the years 1997-2000 and 2005-2007. Did the people complain about the job market back then too?

I am interested in the real health of the labor market today vs. the so called boom years of 1997-2000 and 2005-2007. Wasn't there lots of people complaining about low pay, lack of good jobs and government officals lying about unemployment stats back then too? Hasn't the job market always been challenging for the bottom 50% the longest time?
Social media did not exist in 1997-2000. Online news/ commenting was immature.

People have been saying employment numbers have been fudged as long as numbers have been reported.

15 % of manufacturing jobs were permanently eliminated by technology between 2000-2010.

The housing market peaked in 2005/6, depending on geography. Tens of millions were employed directly or indirectly as the result of the housing bubble. Back then, people in low paying jobs were able to qualify to buy a home with no skin in the game. The so- called masses were less likely to FEEL like working poor. It was and remains emotional.

Back then, mom and dad could suck the paper equity out of their homes to buy a car, throw their kid a $ 100,000 wedding and feel like they were kings. Back then. Many thought the party would never end.

When the most financially vulnerable began losing their jobs, their homes went into foreclosure. The party had ended.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:28 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
I don't know for sure, but I think the official unemployment rate, as reported by the U.S. Department of Labor, is extremely misleading.

If you, a family member or anyone is unemployed and has subsequently given up on finding a job -- if you are so hopelessly out of work that you've stopped looking over the past four weeks -- the Department of Labor doesn't count you as unemployed.

If you have a degree in chemistry or math and are working 10 hours part time because it is all you can find -- in other words, you are severely underemployed, but the government would be counted you as employed.

well, they keep on saying unemployment is greatly reduced, but do regular people "feel" it? That is your answer right there.

I graduated from UCLA with an art degree, and I went to an art institute. I've never worked for anybody else besides my family although I worked for Victoria's secret, Christian Dior, and LV as a sales associate when I was in college. All I did with my degree was drawing portrait for surfers and tourists near my parents' house. I am now working at my dad's trading company and my mom's retail shops. I love running my own businesses, but I doubt I could really find anything If I don't have family to give me these jobs.

My ex boyfriend is a talented software engineer, he used to work for a fortune 500 tech company, and all his projects had been transferred to India. He's now working for a start up company. He will always find decent job with a solid 6 figure income, he's that good, but The number of U.S. technology firms outsourcing part of their operations overseas has reached record highs.

Southeast Asia is the leading outsourcing destination for U.S. tech companies. The businesses are also moving parts of their operations to India, Eastern Europe and Russia.

I have two groups of friends, one group grew up solid upper middle class, one group grew up poor in southern lower middle to middle class families. The first group are mostly trustfund babies, many of them go from project to project, some of them are day traders, or work for wallstreet, they have nothing to worry about.

The second group are the most hard working people I've ever met. They joined the Military, and couldn't make ends meet after military service.

Many of my good friends have to go back to their southern small town simply because they couldn't find jobs here in southern california. The high cost of housing across the U.S. has made these friends of mine pessimistic about the prospect of social and economic mobility.

Obviously, all my friends are Millennials, while optimistic and hopeful for the future, many believe chances of economic mobility are bleak. Majority of my bluecollar friends believe it's more difficult today than decades ago to achieve a middle class lifestyle. I can't blame them.

Maybe the jobs are out there, but everything is getting more expensive and income stays low. I don't blame this on any single factor, and I don't think ANY politicians can easily fix this.

I don't doubt that many AMericans have good jobs, and good for you if you do, but I think media should honestly report the percent of Americans in good jobs; jobs that are full time and real -- then we will quit wondering why Americans aren't "feeling" something that doesn't remotely reflect the reality in their lives. And we will also quit wondering what hollowed out the middle class.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:32 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Less than 40% of American adults have a college degree..either 2 year or 4 year.

Hence the loud cries.

You would think that would be higher since student loans got nationalized in 2009 and the money flowed.
But sadly not enough continue through college to graduate.

So you have lots of HS educated workers with college debt and no degree.

Since when do you need a college degree to drive a truck?

Truck drivers wanted. Pay: $73,000 - Oct. 9, 2015

Old 11-21-2015, 08:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlmike View Post

Big liberal thinking and vision for the country, yet ironically they are the 1st to run to a city like Baltimore and tout " racial and economic injustices".

Hate to break the reality to you, but 70% of these "supposedly high skilled jobs" don't require degrees. They never really did. Its the enslavement of the working class through debit. Kids are getting degrees and up to their eyeballs in loans while making peanuts at some I.T job that pays 40k a year.

That's the problem right now.
Poor choice of majors.

A degree in Women Studies or Irish History may qualify you to teach Women's Studies or Irish History or a job at Starbucks.

A Liberal Arts Degree used to have value and opened doors. Technology has eliminated so many of those opportunities.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:35 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
All agencies will pay your student loan. If you stay there uninterrupted for 10 straight years and deal with frozen wages, furloughs, and site moves (or live in DC).
Of course, the tricky part is getting your security clearance in the first place which requires either military or selling your soul to a contractor for a few years.
The security clearance varies from one agency to another. Payment is made on specific student loans, not all of them and I for one promote employment with the Federal Government for students. They are hiring so many of mine this year, that I am trying to get a job with them too. The benefits are outstanding, and I do not mind moving around to work. I understand everyone cannot do this, but if you can it is a great place to have your career.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:37 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

There is required training, and transportation jobs are plentiful if that is the work you want to do. Many pay very well.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:43 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

My friend is a truck driver. This is the only job he worked after his Marine Corps service.

Sure you can argue that he will get paid decently for a guy without a college degree, and he's not complaining, believe me, but it is not like $73,000 like this article suggested, he got paid anywhere between $35,000 - $50,000 a year.

Long Haul driver without much experience really don't have much control over his schedule. On the road for days or weeks at a time, with designated places he is allowed to refuel and restrictions on the routes he can take.

It is a tough job. Sure he will perhaps make $70,000 + a year, but he'll have to keep driving, through rain and snow and sleet, for a few years before that happens. Like I said, he is not complaining, he is very sweet and easily satisfied, but there is no such a thing as "hey here is a $73,000 driving job, come and get it as long as you have a license."

Old 11-21-2015, 08:55 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Ball View Post
I will bring up my main question again:

Does anyone remember what the people online used to say when there were articles about the low unemployment rate during the last economic booms with their low offical unemployment rates in the years 1997-2000 and 2005-2007. Did the people complain about the job market back then too?

I am interested in the real health of the labor market today vs. the so called boom years of 1997-2000 and 2005-2007. Wasn't there lots of people complaining about low pay, lack of good jobs and government officals lying about unemployment stats back then too? Hasn't the job market always been challenging for the bottom 50% the longest time?
There were vastly fewer people online in 1997 and very few articles had comment section, unlike today where almost every article does so no people didn't complain online about it back then.

Number of Internet Users (2015) - Internet Live Stats

There are always people complaining about jobs and government lying, it's just easier for people to be loud about it today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies