Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 05:45 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Ball View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/econom...160640399.html

The linked article above says the job market is on fire. Though if you look at the comments not one of the readers believe it. They say because their family and friends don't have great job, the government data is flawed, or at worst- a complete lie.

Does anyone remember what the people online used to say when there were articles about the low unemployment rate during the last booms with offical unemployment rates in the years 1997-2000 and 2005-2007. Did the people complain about the job market back then too?

The job market is great for recent grads. It's not great for the people who were downsized out in 2006-2008. Many of them have given up finding work. Personally, I will believe the job market is on fire when a 50 year old engineer who has spent more time out of work in the last 8 years than in can find work. I know people in this position and they're good engineers. They're just not in their 20's anymore.

I heard no complaints about the employment market during 1997-2000. Why? Because this boom didn't follow a bust where so many older workers were laid off and never found work. However I will note that the new hires I saw even then were younger. It is very rare for a company to hire someone in their 50's.

If you're a new graduate in your 20's, I have no doubt the job market is on fire for you. It's just not for people like me and the others who were let go in the last recession who have not been able to find work in our fields. The best I can come up with is $45/hour for a 12 month temporary position with no benefits that would leave me unemployed in 12 months. I don't call that on fire by any stretch of the imagination. FTR I have great references and graduated at the top of my class. My problem is I'm no young anymore. If I were 36 I'd have a job in engineering. I'm 56. We've always had an age bias. Unfortunately, the workers let go during the recession were older and they have not recovered. Young people however have a bright outlook right now but then again so did I back in 1991 as a new grad and the economy was limping then.

I'm just glad I have a job. It pays half of what I'd make as an engineer but it's better than being unemployed.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:22 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Hmm, the government lying? Noooooo....... like that would ever happen.
Seriously, the job market is tepid. Kind of somebody with the flu being given Dayquil and a couple of red bulls and they get up and on their feet. But in a few hours are they ever going to crash. Hard.
This Holiday season looks to be lackluster. The stores don't seem to be going at each others throats to get customers and don't seem to be expecting huge crowds. Maybe online retail sales have got them thinking in a new direction.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:41 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
I have a job and I have been going on interviews lately for jobs in my field..

There are jobs but no one is guaranteed a GREAT job.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:32 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"(or live in DC).
Of course, the tricky part is getting your security clearance in the first place which requires either military or selling your soul to a contractor for a few years"

Where do you come up with this nonsense?
I get recruited all the time for federal jobs for big huge federal agency here in St Louis. Those recruiters disappear as soon as I mention that I do not already have a TS/SCI. They only want people who have one already; which is why big huge federal agency in St Louis is full of ex-military people. Your only other option is the handful of contractors who will sponsor your clearance, but only with a clawback clause attached.
And once you do sign on, you have a 50/50 chance of being transferred to Virginia.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:30 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The best I can come up with is $45/hour for a 12 month temporary position with no benefits that would leave me unemployed in 12 months. I don't call that on fire by any stretch of the imagination.
$45/Hr = over $80k per year full time. That is not bad, even without benefits and for one year only.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:33 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Ball View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/econom...160640399.html

The linked article above says the job market is on fire. Though if you look at the comments not one of the readers believe it. They say because their family and friends don't have great job, the government data is flawed, or at worst- a complete lie.

Does anyone remember what the people online used to say when there were articles about the low unemployment rate during the last booms with offical unemployment rates in the years 1997-2000 and 2005-2007. Did the people complain about the job market back then too?
I think this is the first time in America we have joblessness in reality near 30%. We are living in a Great Depression with social programs and that is about it.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:35 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
That's very wrong. Look at places like Asheville, NC you have people with PHD's/Master/Bachelor degrees waiting tables.
I would bet that bigger cities like N.Y jobs are better. We are living in South Georgia & taking care of my mom & jobs here SUCK! My wife took a job here paying less $5 an hr more then she where she was working before. Same type of job but way less pay then before. Down here it's WHO you know not WHAT you know. It really comes down to where you live in the end. Despite ones education or lack of everyone is having to get jobs where pay is almost min wage. We all have to work now we have to work the same as before for less money. It's not always black & white.
Asheville is a destination city. People are voluntarily moving to Asheville and taking these jobs. Nothing is forcing someone with a good education and skillset from pursuing better employment elsewhere.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:39 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The job market is great for recent grads. It's not great for the people who were downsized out in 2006-2008. Many of them have given up finding work. Personally, I will believe the job market is on fire when a 50 year old engineer who has spent more time out of work in the last 8 years than in can find work. I know people in this position and they're good engineers. They're just not in their 20's anymore.

I heard no complaints about the employment market during 1997-2000. Why? Because this boom didn't follow a bust where so many older workers were laid off and never found work. However I will note that the new hires I saw even then were younger. It is very rare for a company to hire someone in their 50's.

If you're a new graduate in your 20's, I have no doubt the job market is on fire for you. It's just not for people like me and the others who were let go in the last recession who have not been able to find work in our fields. The best I can come up with is $45/hour for a 12 month temporary position with no benefits that would leave me unemployed in 12 months. I don't call that on fire by any stretch of the imagination. FTR I have great references and graduated at the top of my class. My problem is I'm no young anymore. If I were 36 I'd have a job in engineering. I'm 56. We've always had an age bias. Unfortunately, the workers let go during the recession were older and they have not recovered. Young people however have a bright outlook right now but then again so did I back in 1991 as a new grad and the economy was limping then.

I'm just glad I have a job. It pays half of what I'd make as an engineer but it's better than being unemployed.
New graduates have little to no experience, and companies want turnkey employees that can hit the ground running immediately. It is difficult for a new graduate to convince a firm to get that entry level job where they can build experience.

If you come up with a $45/hr job, even if it is W-2, count yourself fortunate. Most people will never sniff that kind of money.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:44 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I am now permanently unemployed. Fortunately with a good pension and great health insurance. I would hate having to look for a job in this market. All the good stuff has moved overseas.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:46 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I think this is the first time in America we have joblessness in reality near 30%. We are living in a Great Depression with social programs and that is about it.
Where is the crazy icon when you need it?

Do you even know what 30% looks like? Do you know not even Greece falls that low?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies