Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 12:52 PM

54 posts, read 51,311 times

Advertisements

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/econom...160640399.html

The linked article above says the job market is on fire. Though if you look at the comments not one of the readers believe it. They say because their family and friends don't have great job, the government data is flawed, or at worst- a complete lie.

Does anyone remember what the people online used to say when there were articles about the low unemployment rate during the last booms with offical unemployment rates in the years 1997-2000 and 2005-2007. Did the people complain about the job market back then too?

Old 11-20-2015, 12:58 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times
The job market and employment stinks for people with only a high school diploma or less. Economic opportunity and even the health of people in that group is in decline.
Here's a quick but interesting read about the Pessimism of White Working Class American's, and why they have latched on to a candidate like Trump.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:00 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
I seem to be constantly running into people in a situation like me....
I have a job, but I have not had a raise since 2007; our entire organization has suspended raises through 2020 with no promise that they will return. People look for jobs elsewhere, but cannot find any. Retirements are giving us huge turnover, but low wages mean we have difficulty filling positions. Technically the jobs are open, but no one qualified is applying.
Meanwhile, with no money to retain employees our employer has turned to more and more stringent post-employment restrictions and other forms of punishment for employees who look elsewhere.
People hanging onto jobs out of sure fear and constant openings because of low wages does translate into low unemployment, but it also reflects the same dissatisfaction and hopelessness you see in the comments of that article.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
The job market and employment stinks for people with only a high school diploma or less. Economic opportunity and even the health of people in that group is in decline.
Here's a quick but interesting read about the Pessimism of White Working Class American's, and why they have latched on to a candidate like Trump.
Less than 40% of American adults have a college degree..either 2 year or 4 year.

Hence the loud cries.

You would think that would be higher since student loans got nationalized in 2009 and the money flowed.
But sadly not enough continue through college to graduate.

So you have lots of HS educated workers with college debt and no degree.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:04 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,305,051 times
There are jobs, but not all that many good jobs. There are good jobs for highly skilled workers -specifically IT and health care, but lots more low-wage service jobs.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:06 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Employers are all over the campus this year. They are heavily recruiting. Many information sessions for the students and people who are in charge of hiring are coming to interview students. The students that are getting hired for full-time work or offered internships are really getting some sweet deals. The FEDS are doing it big this year too, and it is has been a great year for the number of companies we had at our Career Fair. It has been truly a pleasure working with the folks from GOOGLE. They will be hiring more minorities this year.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:15 PM

54 posts, read 51,311 times
I will bring up my main question again:

Does anyone remember what the people online used to say when there were articles about the low unemployment rate during the last economic booms with their low offical unemployment rates in the years 1997-2000 and 2005-2007. Did the people complain about the job market back then too?

I am interested in the real health of the labor market today vs. the so called boom years of 1997-2000 and 2005-2007. Wasn't there lots of people complaining about low pay, lack of good jobs and government officals lying about unemployment stats back then too? Hasn't the job market always been challenging for the bottom 50% the longest time?

Old 11-20-2015, 01:19 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Ball View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/econom...160640399.html

The linked article above says the job market is on fire. Though if you look at the comments not one of the readers believe it. They say because their family and friends don't have great job, the government data is flawed, or at worst- a complete lie.

Does anyone remember what the people online used to say when there were articles about the low unemployment rate during the last booms with offical unemployment rates in the years 1997-2000 and 2005-2007. Did the people complain about the job market back then too?
People complain because their political leaders complain.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Employers are all over the campus this year. They are heavily recruiting. Many information sessions for the students and people who are in charge of hiring are coming to interview students. The students that are getting hired for full-time work or offered internships are really getting some sweet deals. The FEDS are doing it big this year too, and it is has been a great year for the number of companies we had at our Career Fair. It has been truly a pleasure working with the folks from GOOGLE. They will be hiring more minorities this year.
STEM and particularly IT has always been a big player at college fairs.
Always want to grab the best and brightest regardless of the economic situation.

Students with good grades pursuing anything in STEM today should not be worried.
A lot of these companies do not hold back because they are always farming for new talent.
That is the nature of STEM.

The real problem is if you don't have a college degree and want to get ahead.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:20 PM

31,082 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I seem to be constantly running into people in a situation like me....
I have a job, but I have not had a raise since 2007
; our entire organization has suspended raises through 2020 with no promise that they will return. People look for jobs elsewhere, but cannot find any. Retirements are giving us huge turnover, but low wages mean we have difficulty filling positions. Technically the jobs are open, but no one qualified is applying.
Meanwhile, with no money to retain employees our employer has turned to more and more stringent post-employment restrictions and other forms of punishment for employees who look elsewhere.
People hanging onto jobs out of sure fear and constant openings because of low wages does translate into low unemployment, but it also reflects the same dissatisfaction and hopelessness you see in the comments of that article.
seem to be constantly running into people in a situation like me....
I have a job, but I have not had a raise since 2007

That what many of us are going through. We get to keep our jobs and let inflation take bites out of it as time passes by, just being thankful we are employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies