Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 04:41 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
This

We had an insurance company rep come to our job to field question about the new "plan"(?). He said that 70% of all medical claims are related to obesity in some manner. Increasingly sedentary humans simply cannot process/metabolize this stuff correctly.

The chart seems to ignore our canine teeth.
Humans are omnivores. (and we like meat.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 04:41 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
How would a tax on meat of all things help the environment? Anyone seen the price of hamburger or a steak? Let's see make meat even more expensive so no one will buy any. Yeah, great idea.
Supply and demand. Lots more people can afford to eat meat on a global scale.

However, raising livestock is pretty energy intensive and creates lots of waste. Remember livestock needs to eat too.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:43 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,095 times
I eat venison... My meat doesn't stand a foot deep in manure, but my meat does poop on vegetarians food.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:44 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
The chart seems to ignore our canine teeth.
Humans are omnivores. (and we like meat.)
I agree, however the problem is mostly the amount of meat.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:41 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,072,821 times
Proposal for tax on meat proposed by a group in G.B. to be presented at the global warming meeting in Paris. Group says that if meat is highly taxed. it would cause people not to buy meat. Group says that cultivating/raising animals for human consumption is causing global warming. Just like all warmers, they came up with a prediction that if we stopped eating burgers, pork chops and chicken wings, the world average temperature would drop 2 degrees C in 100 years.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:04 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
It's unhealthy in the amount that Americans eat and bad for the environment. Given how socialized healthcare costs have become in the wake of the ACA it isn't unreasonable to tax people's health-harming behaviors because the public will end up paying for them when they get sick. Don't get me wrong, I'm a libertarian and think I shouldn't be dictating or paying for what other people do to their bodies, but once I and every other taxpayer ARE paying for it it's not unreasonable to say, if you want to do that to yourself there's a tax hit.

And who is worthy to determine what we eat in what amounts, the government? Please they change the recommended health standards every time I turn around. What does constitute a healthy 3 squares a day? We the American public end up paying for everything from the inept collection of elected officials that are in office to the farm subsides that are received for certain crops. As for healthcare costs how about we reel them in and start forcing them to charge a fair & reasonable price for their goods and services.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:18 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

And who is worthy to determine what we eat in what amounts, the government? Please they change the recommended health standards every time I turn around. What does constitute a healthy 3 squares a day? We the American public end up paying for everything from the inept collection of elected officials that are in office to the farm subsides that are received for certain crops. As for healthcare costs how about we reel them in and start forcing them to charge a fair & reasonable price for their goods and services.
Because it's much more satisfying for me to just tax people who I feel are lazy and ignorant.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:23 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Apparently you don't mind people dying unnecessarily before time and paying more out of your pocket because of it.

Not to mention that our life expectancy is lower than countries with less obesity.
Thats been covered many times. Remove the added highway deaths and those of inner city youths killing each other and its very similar.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:27 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That's what I thought. You got nothing.

Again it's risk/benefit, obesity related diseases are far more expensive than those who choose adventure hobbies. Not to mention how much obesity affects more people.
The elitism of the priviledged White man on display. Everyone else is so ignorant that you have to decide how everyone else should live, where they should live, what they should be allowed to eat, what they should be allowed to drive, how they should think, etc. Quite the cross you have to bear.

Is it safe to presume you're consistant and are also opposed to legalization of marijuana and the consumption of alcohol, high calorie craft beers especially?

Old 11-28-2015, 06:32 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,346 times
If you don't like it, ban it. If you cant ban it, tax it. That's the progressive liberal motto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies